X27

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

baseroom

Feeling the Heat
Nov 18, 2014
Rochester
Thqnk you! I asked Santa for an x27 based on you guys! I have split all my life with mauls sledges and wedges. Was on a holiday road trip. Today I got out the x27 for a tryout. I am amazed spilt a bunch of yard EAB ash I had cut up. Amazing because it is lighter it took less toll on my 60 year old shoulders. Split even the knotty ones in a couple of hits. Glad I'm on his forum and took your advice. It will make my four cords of annual splitting a lot easier.....until santa brings me Mr. Hydraulic!

Thqnk you! I asked Santa for an x27 based on you guys! I have split all my life with mauls sledges and wedges. Was on a holiday road trip. Today I got out the x27 for a tryout. I am amazed spilt a bunch of yard EAB ash I had cut up. Amazing because it is lighter it took less toll on my 60 year old shoulders. Split even the knotty ones in a couple of hits. Glad I'm on his forum and took your advice. It will make my four cords of annual splitting a lot easier.....until santa brings me Mr. Hydraulic!
I have had a very similar experience with my fiskars too. It's a great ax....but better be careful....if you like a product too much there are some posters here that will accuse you of sounding like "someone trying to sell a product, not giving advice". :rolleyes:

The x27 is my weapon of choice when splitting wood. I am able to split most wood with it with a few whacks. At night, when the crickets go silent, you can hear my 8# maul rusting in the garage...

Last edited:
Love my Fiskie !!
Well designed and highly effective for this 50 y.o. bod. Been swinging the thing a month or two now
and had rotator surgery Aug 29th. I'm using the axe to rehab the repaired socket.

Fiskars-the therapeutic axe. LOL

Works even better when I put pics of the ex on top of the rounds..........

I see a lot of hype on here about the x27. I do believe you that it is a better mousetrap but still a little skeptical. What makes this thing so great? I need a reason to buy one cause in some wood it would be faster to split by hand than with the splitter.

I picked up a fiskers and was surprised how much easier it was to split wood, I use it less now since I picked up a 20 ton. The Fiskers was night and day compared to my old maul

I see a lot of hype on here about the x27. I do believe you that it is a better mousetrap but still a little skeptical. What makes this thing so great? I need a reason to buy one cause in some wood it would be faster to split by hand than with the splitter.
Sharp and the head speed you can develop. Think golf club or modern baseball bats. It's like $40. Many times over the years I've spent twice as much on products that work half as well.

my fiskars is too sharp... :)

don't forget to wear proper footwaar.

I had a 55' red oak taken down in my yard a few weeks ago. I almost have the splitting completed. It could handle everything but the BIG stuff...the 8lb maul took care of those. I then took those halves and cut them up nicely with the X27. It was like a hot knife through butter.

A couple years back, I was standing in the hardware store looking at a cheap but rugged 8 pound maul like I grew up with in one hand, and a plastic handled, trendy colored Fiskars with a funny shaped head and some questionable sounding marketing claims on the label for twice the price in the other hand. It was an easy choice to go with the cheaper tool that I was familiar with.

After hanging out on this site for a while, I accepted there was more to the Fiskars than I'd estimated, and this year I left some extremely specific hints for my wife to find.

Unfortunately, she put the Fiskars Splitting Axe (black handled X25) under the tree, but I'm certain I will prefer the full-size Super Splitting Axe / X27, so we're still waiting on the exchange.

I've got some spruce that for whatever reason my maul didn't like that I'm really eager to try the Super Splitting Axe on. It better come soon.

A couple years back, I was standing in the hardware store looking at a cheap but rugged 8 pound maul like I grew up with in one hand, and a plastic handled, trendy colored Fiskars with a funny shaped head and some questionable sounding marketing claims on the label for twice the price in the other hand. It was an easy choice to go with the cheaper tool that I was familiar with.

After hanging out on this site for a while, I accepted there was more to the Fiskars than I'd estimated, and this year I left some extremely specific hints for my wife to find.

Unfortunately, she put the Fiskars Splitting Axe (black handled X25) under the tree, but I'm certain I will prefer the full-size Super Splitting Axe / X27, so we're still waiting on the exchange.

I've got some spruce that for whatever reason my maul didn't like that I'm really eager to try the Super Splitting Axe on. It better come soon.
I had my wife take a picture so I got the x27!

Reactions: iamlucky13
Unfortunately, she put the Fiskars Splitting Axe (black handled X25)

I use the X25. I believe it was the original version. There's a lot of debate about it and it comes down to personal preference so no definitive answer is possible. I will say this, when I was playing golf I knew a lot of guys that hit their 3 wd farther than their driver. Never stopped them from pulling the driver out.

I have the 25, but Im short, so it works well for me, any taller, and I would go with the 27

Same here, Base.

I'm one of those skinny, lanky fellas. Normal torso sized, but have a long wingspan and legs
all coming at in 6 feet. The X27 is a bit long when I'm using it along with the shortie maul.
Leads to a few overswings when switching backwards and forth between the two. One is almost
7" longer. LOL On the X alone, the "Jedi-swing" comes back and stuff flies apart. In fact,
just taking a break now. Heading back out to bust up some more dead EAB scrounge for the cold
snap arriving tonite.

That last statement alone can't speak loudly enough for covering stax or using a woodshed. Two
straight days of rain have taken a toll on the wall of wood. Even under conifers, it's been misty and
breezy. Everything out there is damp. Using debarked ash rounds for quick final dehydration in a
semicircle around the hearth. Worked well last winter, and the Fiskie is speeding things up nicely.

Same here, Base.

I'm one of those skinny, lanky fellas. Normal torso sized, but have a long wingspan and legs
all coming at in 6 feet. The X27 is a bit long when I'm using it along with the shortie maul.
Leads to a few overswings when switching backwards and forth between the two. One is almost
7" longer. LOL On the X alone, the "Jedi-swing" comes back and stuff flies apart. In fact,
just taking a break now. Heading back out to bust up some more dead EAB scrounge for the cold
snap arriving tonite.

That last statement alone can't speak loudly enough for covering stax or using a woodshed. Two
straight days of rain have taken a toll on the wall of wood. Even under conifers, it's been misty and
breezy. Everything out there is damp. Using debarked ash rounds for quick final dehydration in a
semicircle around the hearth. Worked well last winter, and the Fiskie is speeding things up nicely.
Yea I might have that problem when I move to the sledge and wedges on the nasties. I was just amazed at the way this 27 busted the EAB apart. I was taught in the old days not to have the maul too sharp.....it helped to "blast" the wood apart. I guess this old man learned something new and I'm glad I did

Have both the 25 and 27. Stumbled upon the 25 on a clearance rack at Walmart, liked it, but it felt short, then discovered the 27, and ordered it online. If I have a 16" chopping block, I prefer the 25, if splitting on a short block close to the ground, prefer the 27. My arsenal over the holidays was the 8 lb plastic and fiberglass handle maul to get the big peices, then down to stove size with the 25, since I had lots of 16" rounds to use as my block. This gets the job done and increases endurance greatly, and saves wear and tear on the shoulder. Uglies are being accumulated in a pile for processing later.

Not hype. Split a cord with a regular ax then split a cord with a fiskars then you tell me the difference. You'll see. Kind of like the difference between a machete you buy at an army surplus store vs. a well made samurai sword. Best to just experience it yourself.

Santa didn't leave one under my tree but I bought one on New Year's Eve. My old 8# maul's handle was cracking.

Haven't done too much yet, but I really haven't noticed much of a difference. Yet...

Not hype. Split a cord with a regular ax then split a cord with a fiskars then you tell me the difference. You'll see. Kind of like the difference between a machete you buy at an army surplus store vs. a well made samurai sword. Best to just experience it yourself.
Except that this samurai sword is only about $45, and has a high visibilty composite handle that is very difficult to break!

Except that this samurai sword is only about $45, and has a high visibilty composite handle that is very difficult to break!
You got that right. The handle is very difficult to break but not impossible. I managed to do it but they have outstanding customer service and a warranty they are quick to back up. Filed a claim on their website along with a photo and they sent me a brand new ax with no further questions. I was amazed how easy it was and how much they stood behind their product.

Ok I promise this is the last gush!! So it's 18 degrees out stove is going, snow in the air. Needed to go out and refill the staging pile in the garage from the stacks in the back. Got it all done and saw the new x27 toy decided to take a few swings before it got dark. Well its way past dark now. Lots of wood split ......even some v's and uglies. You will never understand until you try it. If you doubt that its worth the $$$, borrow one for 1/2 .....you will never look back!!

Reactions: TheAardvark
I bought the super splitting axe and my 8lb maul just sits around now days. It works very well and my fatigue is way less; a very solid buy for me (on sale at Walmart!)

I like my hickory handled mauls better, less vibration and seem to do more splitting with less effort. But I have been splitting with mauls a long time and have a favorite so my opinion may be biased to a degree.