XP Security 2010 virus removal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
SlyFerret said:
Here is my approach on removing malware, as an IT professional...

Set a time limit for how long you're willing to futz around with removing the malware (maybe 2 or 3 hours). Then, see what good you can do using a few tools.

Ones I've had success with in the past are:
Malware Bytes (Free, last time I used it a couple months ago)
Superantispyware
Adaware
Spybot Search and Destroy

Here is where the time limit comes in... I'll about guarantee that you're going to reach a point where, while it may seem overkill, it's actually more effective from a time standpoint to just backup your data to an external drive, reformat the hard disk, and reinstall the OS, apps, and restore your data from your external drive.

Any more, I usually advise people not to waste time trying to clean the machine. If it were me, I'd prefer to not waste 3 hours hoping to clean a machine, since, after 3 hours, in most situations, I could have the machine completely back up and running after a reinstall.

Aaand, ...we have a winner. Although not a professional, I do play one on tv.
Seriously though, even for non-pro's, time is important, so cut your losses, and just reinstall. I've done a million of 'em, .....really. OK, maybe just 1/2 a mil.
Only one change, run some anticrapware proggies on the backup data, or you'll possibly re-infect the system if those files are infected.

-SF

bjr23 said:
Udate. Finally figured out how to disable Restore thru Safemode and ran Malwarebytes and then Something called CC (CrapCleaner?). Now symtem boots up normal but I've stll got a XP Security Center Icon on the main control panel screen (Does this mean I still got the virus somewhere?) and I can't log on anymore. I get the "Can't find Server" White Page. The Icon for the Networking on lower right screen says I'm not conncted with network. I'll try Safemode with Networking tonite and see if I can get back on line that way. What happened? Why can't I log on anymore. I thought this Malwarebytes was safe to use. Where do I start from to get connected. Any help is appreciated. bjr23

Blow it up, and buy a new one. :ahhh:
Time for a do-over. Get your op. sys. disc out and reinstall. You'll spend WAY less time on that than getting this crap off your system.
Read and follow Sly's post.
If I was closer by several hundred miles, I'd come help.

Status
Not open for further replies.