Yearly offseason maintenance! Do you do yourself or have some kind of maintenance contract set up?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stanleyjohn

Minister of Fire
Mar 29, 2008
southcentral Ct
getting close to the end of this years burning season after consuming around 1.5 cords of wood.Just got the low down on my local dealers service contract in the mail yesterday and thinking about geting it!What do you think?.For $150 plus tax it includes a full stove cleaning,replacement of any worn gaskets,paint touch up,fan blower cleaned and liner sweep.This is my first full year using my stove so i will be getting this contract at least for this year to see what is involved in the cleaning.

You know, one of the major factors of getting a service contract or not is safety. How accessible is the chimney? The rest of the stuff is easy to maintain. For $150 bucks, it would be good to get the first one done, and see whats involved. But the hardest part is cleaning the flue.

We have a contract every year. I cut, split and stack the wood along with putting 95% of the wood into the stove. I also clean the chimney if it needs it. For her part of the contract, she cleans the ashes and the mess I always leave plus cleaning the stove. She also keeps tabs on the chimney and tells me if it needs cleaning.

This contract has worked well for quite some time as we've been married almost 47 years now and seem to get along quite well. Well, at least when it comes to the stove, wood, cleaning..... The total cost is happiness minus taxes.

Backwoods Savage said:
We have a contract every year. I cut, split and stack the wood along with putting 95% of the wood into the stove. I also clean the chimney if it needs it. For her part of the contract, she cleans the ashes and the mess I always leave plus cleaning the stove. She also keeps tabs on the chimney and tells me if it needs cleaning.

This contract has worked well for quite some time as we've been married almost 47 years now and seem to get along quite well. Well, at least when it comes to the stove, wood, cleaning..... The total cost is happiness minus taxes.

But if you or the stove dealer decide to end the contract the stove dealer doesn't get half of everything you own. :lol:

I have my chimney cleaned every spring. My guy has a spring discount deal. I think its around $100. I have never done any maintenance on my stove. It is an old, low or actually, no tech unit though. As a general rule, I avoid service contacts.

Status
Not open for further replies.