Yes, an orphanage will go up in flames instantly(boxwood stove thread)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm with ya, Brew.

It also has it's upsides like low cost and safe warmth with some prep.
Overall this is worth it, if even for the learning experience.

PS. I too, am running two footers but in a different way. 12" splits end to end.
Leaves room for a few E/W pieces.
Had all three chains sharpened and the third just went on.
Your Stihl will be busier with the short splits but much easier to carry
around and stuff in the firebox.

I have a 6yr old, carrying the wood inside is the easy part. I have some shorts I have gone through already this year, right now it's been either the liberty bricks, or some 4yr old oak I just split. Large splits that I can only fit 4 of into the stove at a time for my night burns, during the day I just toss one in as needed. Moving forward with the large stockpile I have coming, I may cut them a tad shorter, but I'm going to take my time on getting to those anyway as I have a pretty good surplus as it is. I still have not put my flue baffle in place that I fabbed up, I just haven't felt that it has been needed, I'm getting burn times comparable to what I was getting with the Jotel I had in the past, but with more heat due to the larger firebox. Plus on a side note, we've been doing a fair amount of cooking on the stove while it's been in normal operation, I'm big on cast iron dutch oven cooking, and being able to plop two on the top has made for some easy cooking that saved on the electric bill for sure.

Last edited:
Now it's April and the season is winding down.

It worked out well, and when I ran out of wood me n' the kids were able
to cut and process some deads from the woods. Did up a weeks' worth
in about an hour. Craigslist ads for free firewood cement the deal as the pig
does burn more wood than efficient stoves. The pig stays. The whole family
safely operates it now. We're going to keep it clean and not worry about this
stove any longer. It's had it's factory shortcomings addressed and we like it.
We put wood in it and the house warms up.

PS, the layoff continues, but took back an old job so we're doing ok now.

Gotta warm house and a job,
Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeap

Last edited by a moderator:
Now it's April and the season is winding down.

It worked out well, and when I ran out of wood me n' the kids were able
to cut and process some deads from the woods. Did up a weeks' worth
in about an hour. Craigslist ads for free firewood cement the deal as the pig
does burn more wood than efficient stoves. The pig stays. The whole family
safely operates it now. We're going to keep it clean and not worry about this
stove any longer. It's had it's factory shortcomings addressed and we like it.
We put wood in it and the house warms up.

PS, the layoff continues, but took back an old job so we're doing ok now.

Gotta warm house and a job,
Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeap
Good to hear you made it through unscathed :)! Hope things are looking up.

Glad everybody is alive. I have been checking with the fire department and hospitals.

Reactions: Sprinter
The seams are sealed is this point, both with cement and brazed, so that should have things covered as well.
I'm curious about what kind of cement sealant you used. I'm not an expert on this stuff at all and normally wouldn't comment on a repair situation, but the only stove cement I ever used was Rutland black cement (not silicone). It turned out to be very brittle, didn't adhere at all, and cracked and flaked off very quickly. In my case it wasn't a critical issue, but you may want to check on the sealant from time to time if it's this same kind of product. If it's something else entirely, then, well, never mind...

Begreen,

Your words have not been lost on me. This stove won't be in the house next fall.
Lesson learned, but still good to keep as a backup and/ or stick it in my garage/shop.

She and I both like glass fronts too. At 50 years old we're just going to spend the cash
on an efficient and reputable model and be done with it other than maintaining and repairs
over time.
Sometimes cheap can stop dreams from happening.

Sprinter,
I used refractory lining for the furnaces and pouring ladles
at the foundry I used to work at. (Good to still have a few friends
there.) The stuff glows at 2600 deg, and starts to crack at 2850 F.
I figured it would hold up in a woodstove. Starts like mortar so I
squished the stuff in every joint, the burner lids, center piece, and
sealed off the whole front drawer. Firebrick lined bottom/sand filled
in the cracks/ gaps. Layer of brick under the stove on the base.
Runs clean and controllable. These are crappy stoves but the factory
shortcomings can be addressed easily with a dremel and a high temp
sealer.

I understand that you don't agree with my usage of a proven flawed
unit, Green. I feel very safe with this upgraded piece. My wife also.
We are willing to risk the lives of ourselves, kids, dogs, and house.
Our minds changed as we experienced first hand a stove that is fully
controllable and safe for the whole family to operate. This isn't about
the cash. It's a good stove.

you sound very knowledgeable about working to make this stove usable by addressing a lot of its short comings and making it more controllable, but its still not a good stove. i fully understand money is tight, i know that feeling all to well, but if you were to swap that out with a better stove (englander makes some well made affordable stoves) you would see the difference for yourself first hand and wouldn't have to do any alterations to it to get it to be reliable.

Yeps, and thanks.

It's nice not being in a hurry. Made the best of it and replacement isn't critical over the short term.
We both like watching the fire so the pig isn't permanent. Helps to know it runs well and is standing by.
Got a week of cold nites ahead. It's not the money anymore with us both working. This just works,
and leaves open the possibilities of pretty much any style and type we like.

We got a bit nervy when we bought a "Cheap" stove and joined this site. Most replies were about
my suicide and the impending death of my whole household. This fear turned to respect for what
can go wrong, and to make a safe unit. Not a single CO alarm, and the smoke detector screamed
once (opened the door before opening the damper) when a huge puff rolled out and up. We only had
to learn that once. lol Never over a half load, it's never glowed, nor had a runaway.

The only issue we really have is not having anyone here when burning. That's what'll end up pushing
us to another purchase. We're confident on safety when we're close, but this metal can crack/ split.
The peace of mind many have spoken of is true. I wanna load the thing and come home to a warm shanty.

you sound very knowledgeable about working to make this stove usable by addressing a lot of its short comings and making it more controllable, but its still not a good stove. i fully understand money is tight, i know that feeling all to well, but if you were to swap that out with a better stove (englander makes some well made affordable stoves) you would see the difference for yourself first hand and wouldn't have to do any alterations to it to get it to be reliable.

My question is why you say this is not a good stove. You have seen the modifications he and I have done, he's gone a little farther than I, but we have both had a perfectly safe operational season. What leads you to believe that a stove you have never seen...is no longer good? The last "name brand" stove I had to compare it to is my previous Jotul, and this has proven to be a more useful stove than that was, at a fraction of the cost.

Reactions: CheapBassTurd
The castings have been a crap-shoot. Some folks get decent ones, some do not. Also, not a clean burner, nor very controllable (without modding) or particularly efficient. It's 1890s tech recast from China.

The castings have been a crap-shoot. Some folks get decent ones, some do not. Also, not a clean burner, nor very controllable (without modding) or particularly efficient. It's 1890s tech recast from China.

sure, but none of those examples apply to this thread(the reason it was started in the first place) which was to prove that with some effort, it can be a safe, reliable wood burner...nuff said

with some effort, it can be a safe, reliable wood burner...nuff said
Some effort? This forum is all about safety. This subject is not just about you and a few other dads that may be handy and really cool welders. It's also about the untold fathers that have no idea that they may be putting their families at risk because they don't know as much as you do.

Reactions: CenterTree
Stove has been discontinued since the beginning of the year. Makes the point kind of moot.

Some effort? This forum is all about safety. This subject is not just about you and a few other dads that may be handy and really cool welders. It's also about the untold fathers that have no idea that they may be putting their families at risk because they don't know as much as you do.

then I suggest you start your own thread and hop on that bandwagon*tips hat* this was about my stove, and my experience.

Looks like it's being sold on a technicality. (NOT FOR RESIDENTIAL WOOD BURNING USE)
http://www.usstove.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=959

and it has been stamped as such for at least 2 yrs going off past screenshots from various webpages. You point has been made, as has mine, which was the reason I posted this in the first place. If this forum is to only address parts of the hobby that are cookie cutter stoves that are perfect for every person right out of the box, then so be it. I enjoy tinkering, and both of my stoves are perfectly fine, and perfectly safe. But what do I know, I only have a couple years in design, and a couple in the fire service ;)
Have a good day . This thread can be locked due to trolling at this point.

Happy to oblige.

Status
Not open for further replies.