Yet Another Newbie OAK Question!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fireitup

Oct 11, 2014
Waterbury, CT
I have a Breckwell P23 insert that I just installed into my circa 1800 masonry fireplace using a 4" SS liner, approx. 25ft to termination. I have a chase cap on the terra cotta, and a standard SS chimney cap on top of that. Damper is set to "half", and this stove has been burning nicely right from the get go. Proper flame height and color, running it on 2 setting out of 5. Previous owner said he ran on 3 setting 24/7, maybe went to 4 on days in the single digits, and said he doesn't remember ever even trying level 5. If the stove is performing as good as this newbie thinks it is, should I be worrying at all about an OAK?:rolleyes:

I normally would explain all about the advantages of adding OAK but im tired. There have been MANY threads on the subject. Bottom line, yes, install OAK.

Reactions: Wilbur Feral
I understand it's a worn out topic. My question really is, if it's NOT unsafe to run without OAK, AND the stove is running at acceptable efficiency, why bother with OAK? I would imagine many other install scenarios would require it, but I don't see that it's value-added from where I am.;)

Reactions: Peterfield
Your line of thinking is just fine. It's certainly not required. I am going into my 7th season burning with no OAK. Thought about installing one this fall, but never got around to it, and honestly - the stove runs perfectly fine and heats the house without it. Would I notice a marginal benefit if I installed one? Maybe, but I'm not going to drive myself crazy thinking about it. When you consider all the other things in the house that are drawing outside air (clothes dryer, oil furnace, wood stove, etc.) adding an OAK in my scenario, does not seem like it would add tremendous value.

Reactions: Peterfield
OAK air is only used for combustion then blown out the vent. This air will be replaced by pulling in cold outside from all over crating drafts. OAK will pull in combustion air from outside reducing drafts making your house feel warmer.

Tim, this newbie appreciates your experienced replies. Don't want you to think I was ignoring your comments because it's not what I wanted to hear. Just wanted to confirm that runnng w/o OAK is not a safety issue. I'm gonna check my Breckwell manual, but I'm pretty sure I didn't see anything about OAK being required like the Englander post I read earlier today.

There are certain topics that just make me want to bang my head into a wall... In pellet stove discussions, this is IT. Unless your home is very well sealed, lack of an OAK is not normally a safety isse. It is also not a question of "how well your stove burns". In most homes, your stove will burn just fine with or without an OAK. And ALL that being true, NOT installing an OAK if you can possibly do it is just a bad idea.

Having or not having an OAK is simply a question of whether you want to supply combustion air for your stove (i.e., air that will be pumped outside at an accelerated rate) EITHER:

A) via air that you have already paid to heat, which will be immediately replaced by cold air drawn in through the leaks in your home, that you must then heat back to room temperature in a viscious, uncomfortable and expensive cycle, or

B) via air that goes directly from outside, into your stove for combustion only, and then right back out, with no accelerated loss of that air you already paid to heat.

The OAK air remains separate from your room air, which is one of the best things about modern stoves, IF you take just a few minutes to understand this and take advantage of it. You can pick the more expensive, less comfortable choice OR the less expensive, more comfortable choice. It is really that simple!

And for the people who think an OAK doesn't matter because they have other losses from things like clothes dryers or cooking vents, that's like saying there's no reason to save money because you already have to spend some for things like food and clothing, so why bother saving at all? Just waste it all, with no benefit whatsoever, 'cause that's what you're doing without an OAK... Is your dryer on all day? Is your cooking vent? Because I bet your pellet stove is, and that's a LOT of air being exchanged, needlessly and without benefit.

Last edited:
Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
I initially wanted to get the OAK, but It seems they are having issues in extreme cold climate. We have at least of few nights of minus 25F temps each years, around here.

it sounds like you have a older house so im guessing there are plenty of drafts thew windows doors etc.. my house is drafty and didn't bother with a OAC i could imagine with a newer house being air tight you might see the stove fighting for air.. but i wouldn't worry about it.

Tim, this newbie appreciates your experienced replies. Don't want you to think I was ignoring your comments because it's not what I wanted to hear. Just wanted to confirm that runnng w/o OAK is not a safety issue. I'm gonna check my Breckwell manual, but I'm pretty sure I didn't see anything about OAK being required like the Englander post I read earlier today.

Certain Breckwell models (in particular the Bella with its 100CFM combustion blower) have it as a requirement check the manual that came with your stove.

Basically not having one becomes a safety issue if your stove dumps smoke when the power goes out or at anytime another air sucker starts up in the house at anytime in the stoves operation including normal shutdown due to negative pressure in the stove room (a not unknown situation on the lower floors including the basement of a multistory house).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.