Yikes... I fell on my running saw!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

thisoldgoat

Burning Hunk
Dec 26, 2017
Rice County MN
While bucking my log I tripped and fell forward, nicking my arm on the chain. Hitting the ground caused me to goose the throttle; my first thought was "why isn't the saw cutting my arm to the bone?" The safety brake saved me.

I thank The Good Lord for protecting me and for reminding me to keep my work area clear of debris and to remain focused, not becoming complacent.

I have always thought this stuff only happens to others, never me. I was convinced that should I ever lose my balance that I would toss the saw clear of the fall path. I was wrong... reflexes caused me to grip it ever more firmly.

Had I been using my old pre-brake saw, this incident could have been a bit gruesome.

chainbrake.JPG

Kickback, tripping, left hand injuries top the list. Had a few trips and falls, with injury close by, enough now to keep things as deliberate as possible. Don't listen to the guys that say engaging the chain brake isn't needed. When I'm cutting, I want it to cut. When not, I want that chain turned off.

Yeah engaging the brake between cuts is a real good idea...hard to make a habit, but once you make it a habit, you do it without even thinking...I have goosed the throttle before and when it bogged I thought, man, I don't even remember setting the brake!

One of the things that was drilled into me at NPS chainsaw training several years ago was the chain brake went on before I took a step and the saw got shut off whenever I had to make a significant move. I have been working in an area with a lot of brush on the ground of late and I have tripped, slipped and fallen when moving around. I didnt not get as close as you but I am glad I had the training before hand.

Last edited:
Before taking a step - (wrist flick), Click.

Reactions: D8Chumley
I should add that I foolishly did not set the brake manually. It evidently clicked when the saw and I crashed to the ground.

Yeah engaging the brake between cuts is a real good idea...hard to make a habit, but once you make it a habit, you do it without even thinking...I have goosed the throttle before and when it bogged I thought, man, I don't even remember setting the brake!

As long as you let the saw idle down before you apply the break. You want the break to not be worn when you need it.

Reactions: VirginiaIron
Kickback, tripping, left hand injuries top the list. Had a few trips and falls, with injury close by, enough now to keep things as deliberate as possible. Don't listen to the guys that say engaging the chain brake isn't needed. When I'm cutting, I want it to cut. When not, I want that chain turned off.

I do the same. I get in a big hurry when I'm bucking up wood, and march fast around the wood while bucking, limbing, etc.. I've tripped a few times from unseen stuff on the ground, hidden in foliage of a felled tree, etc..

Brake on for safety. Steel toe boots, chaps, helmet with screen and goggles. I try to do this each and every time, but sometimes I don't when I'm just trimming a tree or branch on the property. Should be every time.

I've had a stick pop in while carrying and push the throttle to wide open too before. Dangerous tools.

Whenever I see a post like this, I’m glad I have a cut-proof jacket. It makes me sweat like a running horse though.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Worked Wildland fire for 20 years was a faller but also cut one hell of a lot of line thru brush with a chainsaw at a high rate of speed, you wear ppe and let it rip, no time to apply the break. I only had 1 saw injury and that was at home with using my personal saw.

Something like this happened to my dad about 20 years with a demo saw instead of a chainsaw. They dont have any kind of brake on them. He was on a scaffold cutting some plaster ceiling and the piece fell and knocked him off the scaffold. He through the saw and unfortunately landed on top of it. Luckily he is a stickier guy. His back landed in the blade and cut all the way across his back it was 1mm away from him being paralyzed. If that have been my runt ass, it would have cut me dang near in half. He got up and went out side and smoked a cigarette. The guy working with him seen the blood and called 911. He is a tuff man. So I know saftey stuff can be a hassle but it's there for a reason. Consider yourself luck.

As long as you let the saw idle down before you apply the break. You want the break to not be worn when you need it.
Especially true for the cheap band brakes located on the outer cover. Mine wore out just because of minimal typical debris and misalignment. I also purchase better quality saws now.

We talked about premature chain saw brake wear due to overuse, the group agreed replacing mechanical parts is cheaper than body parts.

I know of one Husky consumer saw from 20 years ago that the owner did have to replace a couple of brake assemblies. After the saw was 10 plus years old the local dealer could not buy the parts anymore as they were permanently out of stock. I had a similar vintage Husky pro saw and the brake was original when I gave it the the guy with the consumer saw. Its on second carb but the brake is still original.

I remember reading about a guy that did get cut up pretty bad, simply because he fell onto the chain, even though the chainsaw was not running at all. I'm reminded all the time of something unrelated but similar:
I was pulling back on my cant hook trying to roll a log, when the hook slipped and I fell back. Fell flat on my back hard, mostly because I tripped on one of the nub sapling stumps left over from clearing the site. They were all over, like daggers, and I was very lucky I didn't fall onto one. I try to check things over now, and get those snipped off close. And especially in the safety path used during felling.

I need to be more careful too. I always think I am going to throw the saw. My friend was using a non-brake unit and tripped; cutting his arm pretty badly. Passed out several times getting to a phone and they life-flighted him due to blood loss. All seems well now with little loss of use. Brings me to the thought about a higher quality saw and a brake that can be used hundreds of times during its life. I am now getting into the habit of brake-on unless I am cutting.

Must be the week for this. My grandson and I were splitting a big pile of rounds, so there was stuff ever where. I was carrying the running saw, and tripped over a ladder laying on the ground. Two or three stumbles, and I knew I was going down. I knew the saw was a big issue , so I extended my arm out. And did my best tuck and roll. Grandson said it was perfect. A bit of a face plant at the end, but no damage. Saw was still running. Laid there trying to figure out how this should have been prevented. I'm guessing the saw should be off and the chain guard on before walking with the saw. But do we do that?

As a new entrant into the firewood hobby (~3 years) I'm glad I got into the habit early on to always engage the brake when the saw is running but not in use.

Reactions: VirginiaIron
Chain brakes do not change the fact that the chain is still full of very sharp teeth. My chainsaw accident caused me to toss the saw right to left across my legs. The chain was not moving, but bar certainly was! The teeth shredded the skin on my knee (no chaps then!).

It's too bad all lessons can't be learned the easy way. Wait, observing others mistakes is easy, kind of.
One co-worker years ago had a scar from forehead, across his eye, nose, mouth, chin. Was getting late, just one more cut, kickback.
Another had a nice divot to the side of the head - cutting overhead, on an extension ladder, the branch kicked out the ladder, he landed on the ladder.
Another, felled a tree on his house, barely knocked out the kitchen window but took out the porch.
Another, cut off the end of his shoe, looked like a beaver gnawed on it, but missed his toes.
Another, just yesterday, construction crew knocked over a 60ft spruce with a backhoe, then proceeded to limb it with a small stihl with a dull chain. Branch sprung and slapped the guy to the ground. In too much of a hurry, building is late, need to get the site finished and cleared, crazy the chances the guy took.

Thanks to this thread I’ve engaged the chain brake every time I moved with the saw the last three loads I cut.

Glad this had a good result.

I was in the ER for stitches on two fingers 20 years ago. The physician was a young resident. Said that she has been doing a lot of stitching up people's thighs from where they put a chainsaw into them.

Glad this had a good result.

I was in the ER for stitches on two fingers 20 years ago. The physician was a young resident. Said that she has been doing a lot of stitching up people's thighs from where they put a chainsaw into them.
My chaps saved my left thigh muscle last fall. Had to get another pair, but it was cheap insurance.

Reactions: Zack R and Alpine1
She also said that I was lucky to have her. She just came on her shift, and, as she's new, she takes a lot longer than someone that has been stitching people up for 30 years. Said that I won't see my scar when I am done.

Mentioned that the physician that was just off shift is head of ER, been doing this for years, would stitch me up quickly, and I may have a visible scar.

Last edited:
She also said that I was lucky to have her. She just came on her shift, and, as she's new, she takes a lot longer than someone that has been stitching people up for 30 years. Said that I won;e see my scar when I am done.

Mentioned that he physician that was just off shift ws head of the ER, has been doing this for years, would stitch me up quickly, and I may have a visible scar.
40 years ago I laid open my left leg with a chain saw. I didn't know how white a knee cap was until that day.
The Dr. in the ER who sewed me up complained the whole time about how he hated chain saw cuts. (they were so dirty
and hard to clean) He did a good job . It was on a Saturday,I think it had been a long day for him.

Reactions: Zack R
It was also actually pretty funny. She injected anesthetic in to the base of my fingers. Came back a few minutes later, took a needle, and started jabbing them.

"Do you feel that?"

"I don't know. Jab the other hand." She did.

"Ouch! That hand's numb."

"I've never had anyone ask that before." :)

Reactions: ben94122