You can't fix stupid

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hills Hoard

Minister of Fire
Mar 19, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
My brother.....what an idiot....he doesn't split his wood and stack in advance...he leaves cut rounds out in the open and splits as he needs it......generally he burns in his insert 24/7....but ive been there and the fire always goes out because the massive lumps of green wood he throws on don't burn...the window on his insert is constantly black.....he has had two chimney fires this winter alone... do you think he listens to me (younger brother) when i give him some basic advice on storing and burning wood?...nope, because apparently im too obsessive and pedantic about firewood......:eek:

What are some of the bad practices you guys have seen?

I'm not gonna lie, allot of the practices on this site go completely overboard. But who doesn't understand that water doesn't burn?

Your brother sounds like me for 30 years before I got wood burning religion.

You have redeemed yourself, brother. ;lol

Sounds like my brother . . . but I know he's an idiot. He should be cutting, splitting and stacking his wood for this coming winter any day now.

Reactions: Hills Hoard
You have redeemed yourself, brother. ;lol

This place literally did it back in 2004/2005. I used to post like some that pass through every once in a while about "I have been heating with wood since Moby Dick was a minnow and I cut and split in the summer and fall and burn it that winter just fine..."

Then I started paying attention here and have been kicking my self in the butt for not doing it right all those years and saving wood and not having the annual chimney fire(s).

Heck I have been in the woods in March sometimes dragging up deadwood from under the snow when we were out and putting it next to the stove until it was dry enough to light off. ;em

One of the worst practices is to get too involved with a family member.

Reactions: Hills Hoard
There are people out right now getting this years wood to burn , ;lol i cant understand why folks want to burn water .

There are people out right now getting this years wood to burn , i cant understand why folks want to burn water .

The first cold night and the chainsaws will fire up all around me. Happens every year.

Mywaynow says family members, neighbors are worse. I don't even try.

The first cold night and the chainsaws will fire up all around me. Happens every year.

The guys in our church wait till about October to get wood ....:oops: Ive tried to explain numerous times. .. but the feel that green or semi-green buns longer. ;lol . Maybe it does .But it
surely does'nt burn as hot . Not to mention the creosote problems as well.

These are the same guys who say you can not burn pine >>

I don't preach about dry wood. That is what Dennis was born for. ;lol Eric Johnson showed me the path to wood burning righteousness right here on the forum. And I am eternally grateful to him and others for it. Lot less work for an old guy to cut down, buck, haul and split and stack three cords than six a year.

Don't give people advise about how to burn wood or how to raise their kids. Well, unless you are on hearth.com or kidraising.com.

Reactions: NortheastAl
well, I should be gathering my pellets here shortly for this year. they always seem to burn the same............they come pre seasoned

also all the wood I have stacked has been stacked for several years, all this seasoned wood and I do not even have a fireplace or stove.

just cut and stack it for exercise and to keep the woods clean, Why? because the wife likes the woods to be "neat"

How many times I have gone to cut wood with others in the winter and have them ask 'why are you cutting wood when you already have so much
at home'. 'Its not for this winter' I tell them and I get a blank stare... I just try and do what I need to do and let them do what they think
they should do. I just hate when people want to whine about poor performance and chimney fires but wont listen to the reasons why.

I actually had to take a couple of arm loads to a friends house to PROVE that there was nothing wrong with the stove. He still doesn't get it.

I just hate when people want to whine about poor performance and chimney fires but wont listen to the reasons why.

i think thats why im scratching my head at my brothers behavior.....he cant connect the dots ..i think he thinks chimney fires are just part of having an indoor fire...haha

I would love to have 2 years c/s/s...it's not a point I have reached. so, I will have some less than perfect wood, but it will probably work ok for what I want. won't be the same as many have...that has been my experience in 3 seasons. no chimney fire yet, but I will have the sweep come soon....

Status
Not open for further replies.