You every forget how to light a fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

xman23

Minister of Fire
Oct 7, 2008
Lackawaxen PA
So my wife says, "I give up, can't get the stove lit". Thats after 18 years of doing this. I think we all have had a fire fizzle out, from time to time. There's only a few reasons, our answer to every issue, wet wood, and wood placement. This year I made cold starts a bit harder. No kindling, Just got lazy. I have large seasoned Oak splits, fire starter and paper towel tubes.

So I took a look at what happened. 2 large splits east west on the floor and a split on angle on top. Exactly what I've been doing this year. I see the problem, I move the splits 2" closer to each other, put a paper tube and fire starter between them and light. Leave the side door cracked, and there's a inferno in seconds. Just a difference of 2" between splits. She had about 4" between the bottom splits. No sister split to burn was what I had to remind her.

Last edited:
I put two hardwood splits on the bottom e/w. I then criss cross pine kindling on top of the splits. Bunch of knotted newspaper rolls on top of the pine and light. Works great.

One dumb thing I find myself doing a few times a year is forgetting to open the air back up when trying to get a fresh load going. I then spend a few minutes trying to figure out why the fire is either dying out or limping along - I add kindling, add paper, nothing seems to work... and then I realize the air is still 100% closed. Doh.

Reactions: David.Ervin
It happens to all of us. The error was no kindling. I always keep a generous supply of super dry kindling by the stove in side an old copper laundry boiler. Cabinetry, trimming and flooring shops are a great source for dry kindling.

Just burning pressed brick these days. Use 2 81/2 x 11 pcs. paper, Nantucket knot it, a little veg oil, 5 mins. later bricks burning. some time one six pack bag w/oil, same result.

One dumb thing I find myself doing a few times a year is forgetting to open the air back up when trying to get a fresh load going. I then spend a few minutes trying to figure out why the fire is either dying out or limping along - I add kindling, add paper, nothing seems to work... and then I realize the air is still 100% closed. Doh.

I've done this.

It happens to all of us. The error was no kindling.
It's more work but I just bite the bullet and keep a bunch of Pine or Poplar kindling on hand. It really kicks off the load quickly, especially if your main load is Oak or some other dense wood that's harder to get started. I also keep some Cherry or soft Maple splits on hand to accelerate starts.

I can start a fire without kindling, though it's handy to have for perking up balky starts. The main reason I have it is for my wife and son in case they are running the stove. They like kindling starts and that's fine with me. I'm happy that they are participating.

Reactions: SpaceBus