You Know You Are A Real Wood Burner If...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You know you are a real wood burner when you've licked a piece of oak that you just split.

You know you are a real woodburner when you have a saw at the ready in whatever vehicle you are in just in case a scrounge opportunity comes up :)

You know you're a real wood burner if you watch the stove more than the T.V.

You know you're a real wood burner when the last thing you do before you leave the house is check the chimney.

You know you're a real wood burner if hte first thing you do when you approach your house is to check the chimney.

You know you're a real wood burner when you yell at the dog for chewing you're fire wood. "DO not eat my firewood !!"

You Know You Are A Real Wood Burner If you can put your propane tank on the curb and tell them what they can do with it.

Attachments

• propane tank at end of driveway.jpg
    propane tank at end of driveway.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 463
You Know You Are A Real Wood Burner when you can break Super Cedars with your bare hands but you don't have to cuz you never let the fire go out.

You know you are a real wood burner when you DON'T keep a pile of kindling, newspaper, or matches handy.

You have a small stove that only burns 4 hrs before reloading and you still burn 24/7.
Yawn, wipe the sleep from eyes, catch a power nap after lunch.

....when you have a daily log of indoor and outdoor temperatures while trying to get the maximum efficiency out of your wood stove.

ilikewood said:
....when you have a daily log of indoor and outdoor temperatures while trying to get the maximum efficiency out of your wood stove.

... and that log has multiple indoor temps since you want to track how well the warmth is spreading through your house at different times of the day

You know you ... when you have a log that tracks how many pieces of wood have been put in your stove since the day you installed it.

Slow1 said:
You know you ... when you have a log that tracks how many pieces of wood have been put in your stove since the day you installed it.

How crude, a real wood burner wood have a scale next to the stove to weigh each load.

You know you're a real woodburner when you...

...go out for the mail and come back with wood.
...go on chimney-smoke patrol looking to offer help to those who haven't found this site yet (there are no idiots, only people who haven't found Hearth.com)
...are constantly checking Craigslist for free wood
...wonder if you can burn that old bureau going in the trash
...measure your woodpile by the hour
...go from room to room checking the thermostats to see if they're moving on up!

Just sayin',

S

SolarAndWood said:
You Know You Are A Real Wood Burner If you can put your propane tank on the curb and tell them what they can do with it.

Woo Hoo, I'm a real wood burner, I not only told them what to do with it but made them pay me for the space it was taking up until they picked it up! :cheese:

You know you are a real wood burner when you can regurgitate burn characteristics and btu per cord as well as ease of splitting by species.

. . .your stove room starts to look like Buffalo Bill's house in Silence of the Lambs. Crap everywhere, strange exotic insects flying around and one crazy looking guy answering the door without a shirt or socks on.

You know you are a real wood burner if you are constantly pointing out to your wife as you travel down the road any dead trees that you see that needs cutting for firewood. After the a few comments in a row my wife never fails to say something like "give it up honey" "give it up" but that never stops me.

ilikewood said:

Say it ain't so.

when you're on the east coast and you're burning pine :D

If this is all true, or even a representative sampling of it is close to the truth, then I guess I just may not be a real woodburner. I get wood (most often by...gasp!...buying it). I cut, split, stack and season it as necessary. I burn it. That's pretty much it. I don't obsess over it, nor do I take any particular pride in it. It's not the dominant influence in my life. I do it because I enjoy it (at least some of it most of the time, and all of it part of the time) and it keeps our home nice and warm, and because my wife enjoys it as well, and participates to the extent she's able. That's about all there is to it. If that makes me an "unreal", or "less than real" woodburner, so be it. :coolsmirk: Rick

turn in your wood card fossil!!

.......... you bought a chainsaw when you where 16, so you could cut down trees for free, so you could buy your mom and dad a stove for the room that was cold because some idiot plumbed a hydronic heater in parallel instead of series, and then proceeded to cut down peoples trees for free, including American Elm, and thought you where the luckiest kid on earth cause your mom and dad let you play with a chainsaw. ProMac 605 w/24" bar, the length required for said 80+' Elm.

Stevebass4 said:
when you're on the east coast and you're burning pine :D

+1

SO TRUE!!

Status
Not open for further replies.