You Know You Are A Real Wood Burner If...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
fossil said:
If this is all true, or even a representative sampling of it is close to the truth, then I guess I just may not be a real woodburner. I get wood (most often by...gasp!...buying it). I cut, split, stack and season it as necessary. I burn it. That's pretty much it. I don't obsess over it, nor do I take any particular pride in it. It's not the dominant influence in my life. I do it because I enjoy it (at least some of it most of the time, and all of it part of the time) and it keeps our home nice and warm, and because my wife enjoys it as well, and participates to the extent she's able. That's about all there is to it. If that makes me an "unreal", or "less than real" woodburner, so be it. :coolsmirk: Rick

Thank you for your voice of reason. I was getting carried away with the rest of the nutjobs on this site.
. . . but why do you have 4818 posts?
Face it, your as crazy as the rest of us. :ahhh:

I was about to post, then got to the end. When I read Rick's, I thought similarly. I just do it because it's a lot less money than nat. gas, propane, oil, whatever. Some might think I obsess over it, when all I'm really doing is what's necessary. Kinda' like gettin' up in the morning, making the coffee, gettin' dressed, etc......I guess by their definition, I obsess over that stuff too.
However, after all that, I don't want to be a wood burning grinch, so,
YKYARWB when you turn off gas line and power to your furnace and refuse to relight it or turn it back on.

Is someone passing out YKYARWB shirts? I wear at least an x-large. ;-)

madrone said:
fossil said:
It's not the dominant influence in my life. Rick

Whatever, Rick. We've seen the pictures of your woodshed. ;-P

If I'm gonna do it at all, I'm gonna do it the way I think is right. :) Rick

woodjack said:
...Face it, your as crazy as the rest of us.

Crazy comes in a lot of flavors. %-P Rick

Stevebass4 said:
turn in your wood card fossil!!

No prob. It's a fake I made with my scanner, photoshop & inkjet printer anyway. :coolsmile: Rick

fossil said:
If this is all true, or even a representative sampling of it is close to the truth, then I guess I just may not be a real woodburner. I get wood (most often by...gasp!...buying it). I cut, split, stack and season it as necessary. I burn it. That's pretty much it. I don't obsess over it, nor do I take any particular pride in it. It's not the dominant influence in my life. I do it because I enjoy it (at least some of it most of the time, and all of it part of the time) and it keeps our home nice and warm, and because my wife enjoys it as well, and participates to the extent she's able. That's about all there is to it. If that makes me an "unreal", or "less than real" woodburner, so be it. :coolsmirk: Rick

Denial is a terrible thing to watch.

"I don't have to burn wood. Really, I don't. I can quit anytime I want to. I just don't want to right now. Yeah, that's it. I just don't want to right now. Maybe next week."

fossil said:
woodjack said:
...Face it, your as crazy as the rest of us.

Crazy comes in a lot of flavors. %-P Rick

And sexes !!

cheeky-smiley-003.gif

woodjack said:
ilikewood said:
You know you ... when you have a log that tracks how many pieces of wood have been put in your stove since the day you installed it.

Say it ain't so.

Hey, that was Slow, not me :)

madrone said:
fossil said:
It's not the dominant influence in my life. Rick

Whatever, Rick. We've seen the pictures of your woodshed. ;-P

+10 Says the man with the $20,000 woodshed ;-)

I'd be lying through my teeth if I said I wasn't a bit envious of the younger folks who live in the midst of verdant hardwood forests and have the time, energy, skills, equipment, and fortitude to go out and harvest their wood from stump to stove. I think that's very cool, and I enjoy reading about it here. My personal reality is that I'm 61 years old, and I live in high desert country in the Pacific Northwest. There isn't a harvestable hardwood tree growing within 200 miles of me. In fact, even the harvestable softwood trees are a good ways away. All that's around me, basically, are Junipers (I did take down three of those on my property this year, which will make some good burnin' wood in a couple of years). There really aren't any opportunities to "scrounge" wood where I live. Trees (what trees there are) don't often fall down here. Fortunately, I have a few very honest and reliable wood suppliers who will deliver either rounds or splits, and I've managed to come into some wood from other sources as well. These are younger folks who are willing and have the requisite skills, time, and equipment, to get Forest Service permits and go out 50 or 100 miles into the designated cutting areas and take down the standing dead trees, limb, buck, and transport back. Tough way to make a few dollars. Those days are well behind me at this point. I do very much like burning wood, so I do what I'm capable of doing to keep on burnin'. Dunno, maybe I am a real woodburner. :roll: Rick

fossil said:
Dunno, maybe I am a real woodburner. :roll: Rick

Yep. The title wasn't "You know you are a real wood cutter if..."

And at 62 I just may have seen my last year of going stump to stove. The guy that sells a bazillion cords a year right down the road from me may have a new customer this spring so that I can start drying that wet stuff he sells while I still have two years stacked.

The Social Security check starts in Feb. and I just may put it to good use. :lol:

So you may a real wood burner if you look forward to buying C/S/D wood with your Social Security check.

BrotherBart said:
fossil said:
Dunno, maybe I am a real woodburner. :roll: Rick

Yep. The title wasn't "You know you are a real wood cutter if..."

And at 62 I just may have seen my last year of going stump to stove. The guy that sells a bazillion cords a year right down the road from me may have a new customer this spring so that I can start drying that wet stuff he sells while I still have two years stacked.

The Social Security check starts in Feb. and I just may put it to good use. :lol:

So you may a real wood burner if you look forward to buying C/S/D wood with your Social Security check.
BrotherBArt, I feel your pain. At 61 I am still going "stump to stove" but sure does hurt more than it used to! Trouble is, I really like ALL of it. The satisfaction of cutting, splitting, hauling, stacking (well maybe not stacking :-S) and standing back looking at it afterwords....and then I get to burn it and do it all over again. I did quit using the "Monster Maul" a couple of years ago and now have a fine log splitter. My son helps me too. Hope I can keep doing it a good while longer. I guess I might be "a real wood burner" ;-)

fossil said:
I'd be lying through my teeth if I said I wasn't a bit envious of the younger folks who live in the midst of verdant hardwood forests and have the time, energy, skills, equipment, and fortitude to go out and harvest their wood from stump to stove. I think that's very cool, and I enjoy reading about it here. My personal reality is that I'm 61 years old, and I live in high desert country in the Pacific Northwest. There isn't a harvestable hardwood tree growing within 200 miles of me. In fact, even the harvestable softwood trees are a good ways away. All that's around me, basically, are Junipers (I did take down three of those on my property this year, which will make some good burnin' wood in a couple of years). There really aren't any opportunities to "scrounge" wood where I live. Trees (what trees there are) don't often fall down here. Fortunately, I have a few very honest and reliable wood suppliers who will deliver either rounds or splits, and I've managed to come into some wood from other sources as well. These are younger folks who are willing and have the requisite skills, time, and equipment, to get Forest Service permits and go out 50 or 100 miles into the designated cutting areas and take down the standing dead trees, limb, buck, and transport back. Tough way to make a few dollars. Those days are well behind me at this point. I do very much like burning wood, so I do what I'm capable of doing to keep on burnin'. Dunno, maybe I am a real woodburner. :roll: Rick

<del>You</del> We know you are a real wood burner when your avatar is a Fiskars Pro Splitting axe buried in stump.

tfdchief said:
BrotherBArt, I feel your pain. At 61 I am still going "stump to stove" but sure does hurt more than it used to! Trouble is, I really like ALL of it. The satisfaction of cutting, splitting, hauling, stacking (well maybe not stacking :-S) and standing back looking at it afterwords....and then I get to burn it and do it all over again. I did quit using the "Monster Maul" a couple of years ago and now have a fine log splitter. My son helps me too. Hope I can keep doing it a good while longer. I guess I might be "a real wood burner" ;-)

I have to be the only guy on this forum that only likes the stacking part. The rest is a royal pain in the butt. I like stacking because it means I am done with those splits until it is time to bring them in and burn'em. Now hauling it in all winter to burn is a whole nuther story. I need a house boy like they had in the old black and white movies.

You know you are a real wood burner if...you just like burning sh!t.

That's the only reason I do it. The heat is the justification.

BrotherBart said:
I have to be the only guy on this forum that only likes the stacking part. The rest is a royal pain in the butt. I like stacking because it means I am done with those splits until it is time to bring them in and burn'em. Now hauling it in all winter to burn is a whole nuther story. I need a house boy like they had in the old black and white movies.

I loved stacking wood too. Something about nice neat rows - order. A job with a definite beginning, middle and end and then the knowing exactly where it was and that there it would sit and dry out waiting for winter to hit....

I am not a guy. I am a mother and my days consist of no definite beginnings, middles or ends.

Most of the time I use the word 'order' as a verb and it relates to what I end up giving to one of the kids after I have asked nicely to have something done several times and it doesn't get done....

Most days, unless the almost 20 year old is asleep in his bed, I never really know exactly where he is or what he is up to...

So, wood stacking I liked but, alas, due to age and injuries I have to have help. Can't do the bending and twisting but, once stacks get high enough - I can help.

You know you are a real wood burner if... you actually read all 5 pages of this thread.
(and several apply to you)

perplexed said:
So, wood stacking I liked but, alas, due to age and injuries I have to have help. Can't do the bending and twisting but, once stacks get high enough - I can help.

Getting ready to burn wood is the fun. Burning it is just heating the house.

I like stacking.

It's kinda neat to fit the pieces of the puzzle together. I like looking at it from another angle. Makes your mind work.

you know your a true wood burner when your 2 year old wants to help carry splits into the house, and says "da-e, fire gone" when its time for reloading.

You know you're a real wood burner if you drain your plumbing system when you go away for the weekend.

.......... if you've ever said to your wife, "I did NOT almost crash the car because I was checking out that (insert: downed limb, downed tree or woodpile) back there; honestly, I didn't even notice it..." :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.