You may know this but...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

andyrlee

Oct 19, 2009
Northern WI
If there is any planing mills around you, it's a great source of kindling.

I saw on our local planing mills reader sign mentioning firewood so I stopped in.

I left with a truck bed full of scrap base boards and crown moldings.

All oak, maple, hickory and birch. (Unstained of course)

They were all cut to around 16 to 18 inches long.

They asked for a small donation, which they said 2 to 3 dollars was pretty normal.

Pretty cool I thought!

I think I'll check out the tuss plant down the road - thanks for the suggestion.

andyrlee said:
They asked for a small donation, which they said 2 to 3 dollars was pretty normal.

Pretty cool I thought!

Definitely cool and I wish I had something similar nearby.

What kills me is asking for a small "donation". When you ASK that is called selling the wood, why don't they just put a price on it? That just aggravates me for some reason.

onion said:
andyrlee said:

Pretty cool I thought!

What kills me is asking for a small "donation". When you ASK that is called selling the wood, why don't they just put a price on it? That just aggravates me for some reason.

If the wood had a set price, it would surely be much more expensive than a very reasonable $3 donation. I'm sure this is just beer $ for "the boys" at the shop.

-Not worthy of stress!

Werm said:
onion said:
andyrlee said:

Pretty cool I thought!

If the wood had a set price, it would surely be much more expensive than a very reasonable $3 donation. I'm sure this is just beer $ for "the boys" at the shop.

-Not worthy of stress!

And I am all for giving folks beer money! I also get aggravated at tip jars. If it is a tip, you shouldn't ask for it...

Sawmill near me just started putting out a 3'x3'x3' cube with cut-offs in it with a $10 sign on it on the sidewalk.
The cube is not for sale. Just the contents.

I get bundles delivered by a local sawmill of the slab waste from squaring up logs. There's a lot of thin boards, but some serious chunky pieces too. $50 delivered for a bit over a cord of pine, $100 for oak- which is a wicked steal here. More bark per pound, but that's good for my purposes (firing the kiln).

Status
Not open for further replies.