Your favorite splitting axe/maul

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I almost got one of those monsters because my old maul was bouncing off some tough rounds. I went to Northern Tool but they were out of stock so I held off and then discovered the X27. I'm glad I did because now, a couple years later, it hurts my shoulders to even look at a picture of the monster maul! :eek:

I haven't ever used one of those 15# ones, but I doubt you swing it like an 8# maul. Probably more of an assisted drop. (I kind of drop an 8# maul onto easy splits, and swing it like an axe for tougher ones.)

No matter what you use (including the x27), experience is required to do it effectively- knowing where the wood will split easily and where it won't is 3/4 of the battle. (Well, usually. People who split a lot of elm will probably disagree. :). )

i busted out the x27 the other day to split just under a cord. I got through a bunch of walnut and maple pretty easily, and then I got to the heartwood of some 20" round walnut pieces and it started bouncing off on me. I got tired of that and went back to some easy russian olive and aspen... there were a couple of rounds of cherry in there too. I did pick up one piece of elm, then laughed as I threw it towards the DHT 22.

Currently I've been using the Fiskars X27 and I love it. I got it after some research and due to the high praise from this forum.

I've never used a splitting maul before and I had been thinking about having one around as back up for the occasional times I run into the big stuff.

I found this thread. Discovered the Monster Maul. Jumped on CL and found the tools below only 10 miles away on the way home from work.

Sotz 16lb Monster Maul
Sotz Log Lifter

34j841t.jpg

Upon pickup it was easy to see these tools both fall into the category of "they don't make them like they used to".
$60 for the pair.

I'm curious to see how the Monster Maul will compliment the X27.

I may have been mentioned already, but for those who have the cheaper big box, HF mauls the best thing you can do is drive the crappy handle out and get a real hickory one. Just stand to the side and watch someone split with a cheap handle. The flex in those things wastes energy and it don't split worth a darn.

Reactions: coutufr
I found this thread. Discovered the Monster Maul. Jumped on CL and found the tools below only 10 miles away on the way home from work.

Sotz 16lb Monster Maul
Sotz Log Lifter
them like they used to".
$60 for the pair.

I'm curious to see how the Monster Maul will compliment the X27.

How did you like that monster maul? I've been curious, have never had my hands on one.

Got myself a Fiskars last year after I inflamed my elbow/arm using my 8# maul, and reading reviews here. The Fiskars is my weapon of choice when it comes to splitting wood now. I have used my 8# maul a few times since getting the Fiskars, but after a couple of swings, I am more than happy to go back to my mighty, mighty Fiskars. I keep it honed with a file and there is not a lot it has not split. I have split 36" knotty pine rounds and 30" red oak with it. One of the best purchases I have ever made. My neighbor watches me split sometimes and he had no idea how I split some of the stuff I do I showed him the axe...he could not believe it. The right tool makes a difference. Highly, highly recommend the Fiskars.
My $0.02. :)

Reactions: coutufr
Isocore FTW. On big damp hardwood nothing else I have comes close. I have a lighter Fiskars splitting axe which I like alot better but it has to be on dry softwood or it wont do it.

I have read a few threads about the fiskars but looking for comparison to some other axes or mauls. I busted my grandads old maul last year and at the time just ran up to harbor freight to grab a 8# maul. Been using this for about a year as I said an just not happy with it. I understand you get what you pay for in most cases and it was under 20 bucks I believe. The edge is just too fat and I feel this thing makes me work twice as hard. I get a fair amount of bounce and partial splits and Im not exactly a small guy swinging this thing even targeting the grain on the rounds. Anyways just looking to hear what you use and how you like it. $100 for the stihl axe seems expensive but wouldnt mind hearing some personal experience with it, fiskars or anyting else
Get yourself a fiskars x27. You will never regret it. Ever.

Attachments

• IMG_0540.JPG
    IMG_0540.JPG
    290.2 KB · Views: 287
Last edited:
I don't have any of the newer Mauls ,I got a couple I inherited from my great uncle who was a WW2 vet.No brand names but they work .I have been looking into getting a newer Maul but undecided on which I would like to try.

i pulled the fiskars out the other day to split a few little guys and it looked like someone use it to hack through a concrete wall. Edge is completely trashed... i guess I better get after it with the file....

Yea. Nothin a file wont fix. And it doesnt have to be razor sharp either.

yeah, i don't normally make a habit of beating the crap out of it.... now that I think about it, the last time I used it was on some black walnut that might have had a few nails in it.... that is why I shouldn't split by hand :)

I have a Helko Vario on my amazon wish list. I like that I can just change handles easily if I break it, and it has an overstrike protector.
Any one ever used one?

No, but on several models from several manufacturers, you can't break the handle. If you do they replace it or even pay you. Wilton has 2 different weights of mauls & Fiskars has several splitting weight options also. I'm not a fanboi of any particular brand so it doesnt matter. The issue I have with the isocore is the weight. I would love to get ahold of a 6lb variation

I have the all black version of the x27. It doesn't split 24" ash like the isocore does. If I'm splitting smaller, softer, drier wood then yes I'll use it because it swings so much better

Fiskar's X27 is my tool of choice.

This axe almost looks like it would take all the fun out of wood splitting.Expensive as in 300 bucks .

From those who have tried it, the axe really is only good for straight grained wood, anything else it doesn't work

I bought this cheap, made in Mexico fiskars knock-off at Lowe's. I don't usually have anything too gnarly to split, but it does everything I want it to.
IMG_20160301_150209179.jpg

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

I've built a lot of things over the years besides a fire whilst in the bush. Fences, shelters, windbreaks, crude washstands and once helped build a small dock. I've used a bunch of different axes and within my collection are a few I really like. For a wilderness trip I carry an Estwing hatchet like here in my daypack, a 28" 3 lb foresters style ax I got at a garage sale and a 24" tube frame bow saw from a hardware/camping supply store. The blade guard on the saw is a length of plastic tube with a slit and a couple 550 cord ties. A saw can be much more useful than an ax at times. On YouTube, there are a lot of interesting videos about comparing the quality of different axes, check out this video, I think it will not be superfluous.

Last edited: