Zen & the Art of Wood Heating

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I did not read the whole article and I might later but the headline "Inside the movement to abolish colonialist bird names" was enough for me --------------------these people are nuts....Thanks....Now that I know i will change all my birdie names to historical ones especially colonialist...Talk about censureship----------terrible... thanks,,,,clancey---You got me started---lol lol lol...Have a good day...

A more appropriate thumbnail.
Scroll about halfway down the link.

111.jpg

Now I can understand how wood stacking could be like meditation and look at that wood pile--lots of work there...I have a question? Is it possible to spray a wood pile with something to deter the bugs without hurting people when the wood burns..? I am thinking of building a little wood shed for a small amount of wood and do I leave it open somewhat or close it completely?..Of course this is after I like my stove and this could be in a few years of burning a little wood to get used to it...How many years of drying is wood considered good?..Just thought I would ask now that the wood subject came up...I wonder how long it took that person to chop all that wood? Lots of it..How many cords would that be--I am guessing----just guessing here---maybe about 8...thanks ..in time I will read the whole articles that I am interested in but right now don't have time...clancey

I have zero problem spraying my wood pile with the nastiest bug chemicals available. I don’t want bugs anywhere and I don’t lick my wood.

Good reminder for the spring application of termidor!

Now I can understand how wood stacking could be like meditation and look at that wood pile--lots of work there...I have a question? Is it possible to spray a wood pile with something to deter the bugs without hurting people when the wood burns..? I am thinking of building a little wood shed for a small amount of wood and do I leave it open somewhat or close it completely?..Of course this is after I like my stove and this could be in a few years of burning a little wood to get used to it...How many years of drying is wood considered good?..Just thought I would ask now that the wood subject came up...I wonder how long it took that person to chop all that wood? Lots of it..How many cords would that be--I am guessing----just guessing here---maybe about 8...thanks ..in time I will read the whole articles that I am interested in but right now don't have time...clancey
Unless the wood is infested with ants or termites I see no reason to spray it. You absolutely do not want a shed completely closed you want air flow. And as far as how long it takes. That depends upon the species size of splits air flow temp average relative humidity etc. Do basically it takes as long as it takes. I usually get my wood below 20% in a year. But 2 years ago we had so much moisture my wood didn't dry and my dry wood actually took on water.

I can sure see its a problem when the wood begins to take on moisture from the air especially when it takes a long time to dry. Thinking about leaving the front of the wood area open but have a way to close it when it rains or snows ..But that will be later when I decide to put something up so right now I am going to buy very small quantities of wood and have it on top of 2x4's and concrete blocks and covered with a tarp. Someone suggested that on here and showed a neat picture of this type of wood stacking.. Could I put maybe moth balls in the little shed that I might have in the future would this hurt anything.. in case I want to bring a few pieces in the house stacked in a pretty kind of wood holder made of black iron type of deal--I will find the picture of it and its cute...In the meanwhile I can really see how a man would get a thrill out of splitting a log of wood with one blow (depending on the wood) (the article) and in my mind I can duplicate that effort and hear the sound as well...Addicting....thanks clancey

I can sure see its a problem when the wood begins to take on moisture from the air especially when it takes a long time to dry. Thinking about leaving the front of the wood area open but have a way to close it when it rains or snows ..But that will be later when I decide to put something up so right now I am going to buy very small quantities of wood and have it on top of 2x4's and concrete blocks and covered with a tarp. Someone suggested that on here and showed a neat picture of this type of wood stacking.. Could I put maybe moth balls in the little shed that I might have in the future would this hurt anything.. in case I want to bring a few pieces in the house stacked in a pretty kind of wood holder made of black iron type of deal--I will find the picture of it and its cute...In the meanwhile I can really see how a man would get a thrill out of splitting a log of wood with one blow (depending on the wood) (the article) and in my mind I can duplicate that effort and hear the sound as well...Addicting....thanks clancey
There really is no need to close it when it rains or snows that won't keep the humidity out. Just keep rain and snow off of it and it will be fine

I know your right but I cannot get over the fact that you could leave it open and not have rain blow on it in the wind and soak the lumber and the dried out wood would just suck the water up and would not a door left open but during rain storms be shut be better--you could have it both ways? Now look at the neat wood holder that was just posted in the "show me your wood shed" against the chain linked fence--how could that keep out water in a rain storm? clancey

Our shed has generous overhangs on the roof, but just cedar lattice for the sides. Rain is not an issue. It's been working great for over a decade now. The sides are open for quicker drying by allowing wind to blow through it.

I will be sure to have a generous "overhang" when this wood shed it built "someday"...lol...but there are so real nice ones on here and I enjoy looking at all the different ways of them...lol thanks clancey

I know your right but I cannot get over the fact that you could leave it open and not have rain blow on it in the wind and soak the lumber and the dried out wood would just suck the water up and would not a door left open but during rain storms be shut be better--you could have it both ways? Now look at the neat wood holder that was just posted in the "show me your wood shed" against the chain linked fence--how could that keep out water in a rain storm? clancey
The small amount of rain that blows in will quickly dry out nothing to worry about there. Water completely soaking down through the stack because of no cover takes much longer.

Our shed has generous overhangs on the roof, but just cedar lattice for the sides. Rain is not an issue. It's been working great for over a decade now. The sides are open for quicker drying by allowing wind to blow through it.
Do you have pictures of your shed somewhere in the forums?

Two semi related comments. The zen article lead to Norwegian Wood book which had me stumble upon a Beetles song with the same name and regarding pesticides, a pest control person recommended Talstar to keep ants and powder post beetles away. Fairly benign as far as chemicals go. I haven't used it on my wood piles, but it might not hurt spraying the shed structure or perimeter if one is worried.

Now mar13 that's one complicated and twisting reading about the "Talstar"---lol lol...Thank you for that information about the spraying and appreciate...clancey

It's simple but gets the job done. Holds 3 cords per side.
View attachment 277345
Thanks. 3 cords per a side, so use a side each year with a 2 year rotation?

I was just reading an article (unrelated to wood) concerning FIFO or LIFO. ( First in first out, last in first out) and thought that the FIFO needs to be considered with wood shed design.

Last edited:
Thanks. 3 cords per a side, so use a side each year with a 2 year rotation?

I was just reading an article (unrelated to wood) concerning FIFO or LIFO. ( First in first out, last in first out) and thought that the FIFO needs to be considered with wood shed design.
One side gets whatever hardwood I accumulate and rack dry for a couple years at another spot in the yard. The other side gets green doug fir in March/April. By Nov. 1 it is in the 18-20% range. By Jan. it usually is at 17%.