Bittersweet Day Today-Gettin Ready For old Man Winter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gbreda

Minister of Fire
Aug 3, 2009
Lakes Region, NH
Finished The leaves today...Yay !!!!
Moved the Motorcycle from garage to shed... Booooooo !!!
Brought home another 30 bags of pellets @ 3.76 a bag....YAY !!!
Moved snow blower from shed to garage...Booo !!!
Cold outside, but warm as toast inside and the furnace aint runnin but for hot water...... YEE FREAKIN HAH !!!!!!!!!!

My snow blower was made ready a few weeks ago and is sitting outside the garage door.
Finished all of the lawn work a week ago last Wednesday.
Finished all of the garden work a week ago last Sunday.
Re stacked my pellets to make room for next years stash, a week ago last Thursday, which will be ordered Monday, would have that already done except other things came up.
Got my chickens set up for the winter a couple of weeks ago.
Working on odds and ends, with a house there are always odds and ends to attend to.

I even managed to get some new Christmas lights, I'm replacing some more of my miniature lights with LEDs.

Doing daily Bucky beaver culvert patrol and crud removal.

Still need to re-stack to the basement. On vaca this week, so its restack as well as the never ending odds and ends week for me.

YAda yada on the yard work details(sorry) Get to the important stuff will ya already. :) Sorry I got the one track pellet head mind! hehe :cheese:

What ya get G-What ya get! Come on you just gotta share brother! :) (maybe just a wee bit to much caffiene today?)

j-takeman said:
What ya get G-What ya get! Come on you just gotta share brother! :) (maybe just a wee bit to much caffiene today?)

No such thing as too much caffiene :lol:

Added some more Greene Team. Down to 12 bags of shoulder stuff, so at this price I nabbed some more.

Would have got a ton, but first pellet haul in this truck... Honda Ridgeline- independant suspension, not a full truck frame and a big 6, not 8 under the hood. Rated at half ton and wanted to see how she handled 30 bags. Not an issue at all, so a full ton may be ok.

gbreda said:
j-takeman said:

No such thing as too much caffiene :lol:

Added some more Greene Team. Down to 12 bags of shoulder stuff, so at this price I nabbed some more.

Would have got a ton, but first pellet haul in this truck... Honda Ridgeline- independant suspension, not a full truck frame and a big 6, not 8 under the hood. Rated at half ton and wanted to see how she handled 30 bags. Not an issue at all, so a full ton may be ok.

$3.76 is a nice price for them! I wanted the Greene teams too, But had to settle for Stove Chow. I got mine for $3.52 w/10% coupon. I am still singing! :)

j-takeman said:
$3.76 is a nice price for them! I wanted the Greene teams too, But had to settle for Stove Chow. I got mine for $3.52 w/10% coupon. I am still singing! :)

Lowes 10% coupon here too. 209/ton and they have alot of Greene Team and Maines Choice on hand as of today. But that may change quick with the cold coming in. The 209 may go with it.

Finished the leaves over a week ago.
Motorcycle stays in the garage since I don't have a shed.
Snowblower was ready to go over a month ago.
Jeep and snowplow ready to rock as of today.
Loving my pellet stove of course...
Glad you're enjoying yours too!

I am jealous! You guys are just too organized. I still have the hose, tractor, and many plant pots to put away. Worse yet, I have 6 Rhododendrons that still need to be planted. (got them for a bargain in a year end closeout.) If the ground is still soft tomorrow, I heel them in for the winter. Didn't get to the leaves. The wind did it for me!
However, I did get to order some more pellets at a good price and will now have a real good buffer. After another week, Let it snow!

save$ said:
I am jealous! You guys are just too organized. I still have the hose, tractor, and many plant pots to put away. Worse yet, I have 6 Rhododendrons that still need to be planted. (got them for a bargain in a year end closeout.) If the ground is still soft tomorrow, I heel them in for the winter. Didn't get to the leaves. The wind did it for me!
However, I did get to order some more pellets at a good price and will now have a real good buffer. After another week, Let it snow!

Ok save$, Gots to spill the beans. If you mention pellets you haves to tell us the brand! Come on now, Whats ya get for a deal? what ya get-What ya get already? :) I am betting it might be one I just review. :)

Gotta finish getting all the leaves mulched into the lawn....that big wind got rid of about 80% of them, so shouldn't take more than an hour or 2 to finish that.

Couple of tree limbs that came down need chainsaw work. Put hose and deck chairs away, put tractor in garage and put Sta-Bil in tank & remove battery. Snowblower is already out & ready last week.

Last thing I do before I call it quits for the winter is to put driveway edge markers out for my neighbor who plows my driveway on a barter deal w/ me ( I store his boat in my extra garage bay all winter).

I'm off from work Monday and it's supposed to be close to 60 degrees, so I guess I know what I'll be doing (if it doesn't rain). :smirk:

j-takeman said:
save$ said:

Ok save$, Gots to spill the beans. If you mention pellets you haves to tell us the brand! Come on now, Whats ya get for a deal? what ya get-What ya get already? :) I am betting it might be one I just review. :)

Ya, you know it is the Athens. They burn real well in my stove. It is cold and windy outside. where I am sitting now is 83 F. Home is a raised ranch 1120 sg ft upstairs, Living room, kitchen dinning area, bath and 3 bedrooms. (main floor), and 1040 sq ft lower level, den, family room, bath, spare bedroom and work shop. temp is 74-76 upstairs. Stove isn't running on high. Burning a bag a day. I've done a lot to insulate this place. Use a double entry. put storm windows on most of the the thermopane windows. Storm doors on all the exit doors (3) New siding with house wrap and sealing all around the windows and doors. my home is only 3 feet in the ground and only on 3 sides. Had a lot of ledge so we just had the cement walls back filled a couple of feet.
I think my stove was starving for air. And that is one reason why OAK has helped with the performane of my stove. The other was those improved pellets. And thanks again for the your work with pellet evaluations. You have given everyone some good information on pellets that are available in the north east. I don't want to spend anymore $$ than I really need to. Armed with good information, I can go shopping and look for the best available deal. right now, I can get a good pellet right in my garage for $199. Wouldn't you do the same.

save$ said:
j-takeman said:
save$ said:

Ya, you know it is the Athens. They burn real well in my stove. It is cold and windy outside. where I am sitting now is 83 F. Home is a raised ranch 1120 sg ft upstairs, Living room, kitchen dinning area, bath and 3 bedrooms. (main floor), and 1040 sq ft lower level, den, family room, bath, spare bedroom and work shop. temp is 74-76 upstairs. Stove isn't running on high. Burning a bag a day. I've done a lot to insulate this place. Use a double entry. put storm windows on most of the the thermopane windows. Storm doors on all the exit doors (3) New siding with house wrap and sealing all around the windows and doors. my home is only 3 feet in the ground and only on 3 sides. Had a lot of ledge so we just had the cement walls back filled a couple of feet.
I think my stove was starving for air. And that is one reason why OAK has helped with the performane of my stove. The other was those improved pellets. And thanks again for the your work with pellet evaluations. You have given everyone some good information on pellets that are available in the north east. I don't want to spend anymore $$ than I really need to. Armed with good information, I can go shopping and look for the best available deal. right now, I can get a good pellet right in my garage for $199. Wouldn't you do the same.

Yes I would. After all we bought our stove to save$ (sorry couldn't resist) :) This is the first season in a long while that I can heat the house for less than $800. Keeping the family warm is a priority. Visiting friends that have there stats set to 65ºF brings back memorys that we just don't like. When they come to visit us, They know to bring short sleeve shirts. :)

j-takeman said:
This is the first season in a long while that I can heat the house for less than $800. Keeping the family warm is a priority. Visiting friends that have there stats set to 65ºF brings back memorys that we just don't like. When they come to visit us, They know to bring short sleeve shirts. :)

Aint that the truth. 3-4 years ago I started looking into pellet heat. Several people I ran into in Lowes/HD etc all said...."been dong this for years and never pay more than 150/ton mid summer, just go to Middleton Lumber".. Well I havnt seen 150 in my burning time, but it's getting close right now. And unfortunately Middleton Lumber only carries NEWP (except last year when that had to substitute with Spruce Point due to NEWP shortage-they considered SP an inferior pellet ans still do :bug: To each his own tho)

Even with the higher pellet prices last few years, my house is WAY WARMER than HHO heat.

Finished the yard work Sat today a major storm with wind gusts 20 mph lots of rain. Cold high 40's low 20's the stove is running nice and warm. Staying inside today.

gbreda said:
j-takeman said:

Lowes 10% coupon here too. 209/ton and they have alot of Greene Team and Maines Choice on hand as of today. But that may change quick with the cold coming in. The 209 may go with it.

My local Lowes is marked back up to $298/ton for Stove Chow (or actually, anything they had)! LOL! Good luck to them.

But, I needed something, so I picked up 2 bags of Maine's Choice and 2 bags of Potomac. The Maine's Choice seem comparable to Stove Chow so far.

Gweeper64 said:
gbreda said:
j-takeman said:

My local Lowes is marked back up to $298/ton for Stove Chow (or actually, anything they had)! LOL! Good luck to them.

But, I needed something, so I picked up 2 bags of Maine's Choice and 2 bags of Potomac. The Maine's Choice seem comparable to Stove Chow so far.

Gweeper. how much did they have on hand? Local Lowes still had rows and rows of pellets visible. Looked like a mix of Greene Team and Maines Choice.

Picked up another 35 bags late Sunday of Greene Teams, still at 3.76 w/ 10% coupon. Reg price still 209/ton......

gbreda said:
Gweeper. how much did they have on hand? Local Lowes still had rows and rows of pellets visible. Looked like a mix of Greene Team and Maines Choice.

Picked up another 35 bags late Sunday of Greene Teams, still at 3.76 w/ 10% coupon. Reg price still 209/ton......

I'm not sure how much they have left. I only saw one full pallet of StoveChow out in front of the store. The bags they had inside (under roof cover in the garden center) were getting to be slim pickings... a lot of bags with holes in them and water damaged pellets. I only saw maybe 2 1/2 pallets total combined, a mix of StoveChow, Maine's Choice, Clean Energy (Lowes' brand) and Potomac. They may have had more pallets someplace else but I didn't see them and at that price, I wasn't going to ask.

Where are you guys getting these 10% off coupons?

Gweeper64 said:
Where are you guys getting these 10% off coupons?

Get them from the Moving Packet at your post office. Just go to the counter and ask for some.

Status
Not open for further replies.