How do you guys feel about using non certified installers?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whodaman

Jan 16, 2013
Lexington, OH
Hello,
some of you may have read my previous posts about inserts I am looking at. Well, I expanded my vendor search outside of 20 miles and found two dealers who sell stoves and install them. However, both are not certified and do not have any certifications. One guy has an Amish store and he seemed pretty knowledgeable, but said he has not installed that many. They charge $60 per hour for two guys or $30 per man. So, he said install would take less than 4 hours and $1 per mile. I live 50 miles from him, so it would be $100 just to make the trip. He does not mark up any costs on parts or stove and he was about $800 cheaper than some of the quotes I got, just based on installation and parts markup. The other guy is about $400 cheaper on installation and he has been installing inserts for 2 years. He has been installing boilers and furnaces for many years. He will also knock off $200 off the Osburn because they are running a special right now if you by an Osburn, free $200 electric log splitter. he said the splitter is cheap and I could either take the splitter or knock $200 off. Both are Osburn dealers and also sell Napoleon stoves. I have a Buck Stove dealer coming out this Friday for an estimate as well. So, we'll see. I just don't know if it's worth the risk going with a non-certified installer? How do you fellas think about that? I welcome any thoughts, comments or suggestions. Thanks in advance and sorry to ask so many questions. This is a big investment for me ;)

It doesn't matter if a team of trained monkeys do the job, so long as it's done right.

The question is, do you know enough about the installation to make sure they are doing it right?

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
If they guarantee their work, it's not dangerous until you light the fire! Unless the local/codes require certified installers.....
However, you can take pix of their work and post them here. If there is something questionable, these folks WILL catch it!

Reactions: pen
It doesn't matter if a team of trained monkeys do the job, so long as it's done right.

The question is, do you know enough about the installation to make sure they are doing it right?

I'd like to think I do, but I'm not expert. I've watched videos online and read tons of posts on here, but I guess every installation is different. If they don't use the right type of sealant or do not seal up something properly, I might not know. I guess certified installers could also hack a job too!

If you want to know what they will use for sealant, ask. One place where shortcuts are often seen is at the top cap. It's out of sight and out of mind. There are simple top caps which are barely more than a hole in a sheet of metal. And there are good caps that have a little curb and collar where the pipe goes through to stop rain from going down the liner. Also, ask if they turn down the edges of the top cap to form a drip edge or do they just plunk it down flat on the edge of the tile. Little details like this make a difference. I would rather pay more for a good worker to take another hour to do a job well, than to pay for someone cutting corners that will cause me grief later on.

References are always a good idea. Make sure they are not relatives or friends.

This is an example of a nice top cap for a terra cotta flue.
terra-cotta-topplate.jpg .

We've had many stoves and have installed all but one. I was just too busy that one time and hired a local carpenter. He was not certified but I had no problem with him doing the word. When it was done we were satisfied.

Just be aware of any local codes that you must follow and do not be afraid to exceed those codes. It does not harm.

You may want to call your insurance company too as we were not allowed to have a non-certified installer put in our stove. Adding a stove didn't change premiums but I do have to show proof of cleaning/inspection every year by a "professional"

I love our stove and love my house and sure as chit didn't want it to burn down because someone "thought" they knew what they were doing :)

Status
Not open for further replies.