1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

How Long Have You Been Heating With Pellets

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by sante fe, Sep 27, 2012.

1. slls

slls Minister of Fire

Loc:
    central maine Lat 45
    More than likely the Banks we bailed trading oil.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Only help I can offer is average amount used for 1900+ sqft. Which is 3.5 tons. We were only on the Electric for one month(dec-94) and it was way over our heads to heat this place with that. Went to wood until my son was born. Pellets ever since.

Careful with some of the corn stoves. They don't always burn pellets that well. Some have conversion kits like Harmans PC45. Maybe list a few of the brands available in a new thread and we might be able to help. If I were to jump in(again) today, It would be with a multifuel unit. Not so much for the fact it can burn other fuels(thats an option in some places). More of it will eat just about any pellet without the pickyness some stoves tend to be. Well worth the lil extra you might pay.
    save$ likes this.
  3. kenzmadie

kenzmadie Member

Loc:
    Central NY
    Fall of 2008
  4. briggsy13

briggsy13 Member

Loc:
    Maryland
    When we got our estimated oil usage and cost last summer and it has us at $3500 we knew something had to give. My hubbie was unemployed and to say money was tight was an understatement. We found that spending the money on the stove and pellets and install at around $2000 was much cheaper than $3500. Plus we still have 1 1/2 tons left over from last year. So in preparing for this year we bought 3 more tons. So including what we paid for the leftover pellets we are still under $1000 for the whole year. Plus we are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much warmer. We also switched to instant on hot water this last year so we are off oil completely.
    save$ likes this.
  5. Swaybar

Swaybar Member

Loc:
    Mid-Coast, Maine
    Oct. 1999,
    jtakeman likes this.
  6. slvrblkk

slvrblkk Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northampton, PA
    6 going on 7...
  7. Seasoned Oak

Seasoned Oak Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    Seems like pellett heat is gettin close to coal in cost and way lower than oil. The local dealer keeps tellin me the corn stoves are the cheapest to operate and he sells both,guess it depends on the market price for corn.
  8. tony58

tony58 Member

Loc:
    Joelton,Tennessee(Near Nashville)
    Winter of 2006.We have mild winters here in Tennessee ,so I only burn a ton and half at the most.But I like to smell my pellets,watch the fire,hear them drop in the burn pot and most of all raise the hopper lid and keep the pile level.Just can't stop myself.Yes I need help...
    IHATEPROPANE and DexterDay like this.
  9. Harman p-68a

Harman p-68a New Member

Loc:
    Northern ny
    05 here with the Harman,we love the pellet heat.
  10. VTrider

VTrider Member

Loc:
    Northern New England Burlington Vermont
    8 seasons with pellet & wood stove, 1 season heating solely with pellet stoves - yeehaw!
  11. lessoil

lessoil Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western Maine
    October 2008 when oil was >$4.00/gal:eek:
  12. Buc White

Buc White New Member

Loc:
    Waterbury, CT
    First season
  13. newtonh

newtonh New Member

Loc:
    Contoocook Valley NH
    2006 for me and never looked back,at the oilman that is!;)
  14. oliveone

oliveone Member

Loc:
    Hudson Valley NY
    Burning since 1997. Have been using a pellet stove to offset oil usage since spring 1997. In Dec 2010 brought an Enviro Maxx to heat the whole house 2000 SQ FT raised ranch build in 1967. I have saved over $25,000 in the past 15 years. This includes the cost of the stove, repair parts, stove pipe, and pellets. Only wish I had gotten the new stove earlier.
    Countryboymo, jtakeman and briggsy13 like this.
  15. SteveB

SteveB Member

Loc:
    South Central PA.
    It'll be 5 years next month. October of 2007. We love our pellet stoves!
  16. letsblaze

letsblaze Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    40 minutes north of Grand Rapids
    first full season, my 7 year old englander will get the call. I hope to get many more years of dedicated service from it to keep me away from Hank Hill and Co.
    Countryboymo likes this.
  17. Jim H.

Jim H. Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    N.E. Pa. (Northampton County)
    I had a Quad 1000 for about 12 years in our townhouse in the early 90's......moved out to the countryside and with new home and electric heat went with the XXV for the last 4 or 5 seasons now. I also remember pellet prices easily half of what we pay now......closer to 100 a ton.
  18. Jim H.

Jim H. Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    N.E. Pa. (Northampton County)
    I had a Quad 1000 for about 12 years in our townhouse in the early 90's......moved out to the countryside and with new home and electric heat went with the XXV for the last 4 or 5 seasons now. I also remember pellet prices easily half of what we pay now......closer to 100 a ton.
    jtakeman likes this.
  19. Ezekiel_33

Ezekiel_33 New Member

Loc:
    Northern Michigan
    Quadrafire Mt Vernon (pre-AE) since 06. I average 6 tons for a heating season that usually starts around October and lasts 'till April or May. That heats about 3,000 sq feet in northern Michigan. Might be better this year with a finished basement where the stove sits.
    save$ likes this.
  20. frosty

frosty New Member

Over the years I have burned anything I could get my hands on.........kerosene.......wood.......drain oil......coal (my favorite w/Surdiac Coal Stove)........cardboard.......shipping crates.......and, pellets since 1994. It was fun beating the system over the years but I'm a tired old man now and looking forward gas of elect. for three months and a warm beach for the remaining 9.:)
    jtakeman, The Ds and SmokeyTheBear like this.
  21. kobalt

kobalt Member

Loc:
    Prince Edward Island
    This will be my 5th year. I started using a pellet stove in the fall of 2008.
  22. LMPS

LMPS Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Coastal, Maine
    I have been burning pellets since 2008. Prior to pellets we used on average 1100 gallons a per year heating a 1800 square ft cape. Since 2008 we have averaged 350 gallons of oil a year. On average we have been burning 5 to 6 tons of pellets a year. Total cost of stove installed was $4,500 so by my calculations I have paid for the stove and I am saving in $$ about $500 a year.
  23. Pelletfisky

Pelletfisky Member

Loc:
    Eastern Pennsylvania
    Third season this year..
  24. aburress1223

aburress1223 Member

Loc:
    Virginia
    This will be my fourth season.
  25. UncleAnthony

UncleAnthony Member

Loc:
    Southern Maine
    Nov 2008 . Success due to the great people on this site !