how to judge cord wood on delivery

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
jamkam said:
Just dropped off first cord. Small dump truck filled 1/2-3/4 to the top. Here's what it looked like on the ground with my wife. Notice she's in her business suit w/ NO intention of helping me stack today!!

By small dump do you mean a masons dump with the short sides? I think those are 3 yds so heaped up maybe you get 4 or so. You need right around 5 yds for a cord. And if it is not stacked you need what looks more like 6 yds or so.

PS - that oak does not look well seasoned. Check it out. Oak is one of the worst woods to burn not properly seasoned as it holds that moisture so tightly.

took a break...whew. it's a hot one. it looks pretty close, only 1/2 to 3/4 done and its a face at 10-14 ft or so, but there's a lot that's over the 18" i requested. he said he'd make it up. it's 200/cd so i'm not complaining as it's 250-300 right here..if you can believe that!

JPapiPE said:
Jags said:
Looks to be a little shy, but probably close. Get'er stacked. Then we can all quit guessing. %-P

Jags I will bet you your motorized barstool against my current girlfriend that, the pile is way short of a cord.

I don't think "she who must be obeyed" would care for that if I win. %-P

Jags said:
JPapiPE said:
Jags said:
Looks to be a little shy, but probably close. Get'er stacked. Then we can all quit guessing. %-P

Jags I will bet you your motorized barstool against my current girlfriend that, the pile is way short of a cord.
i think your right as well looks like 1/2 cord to me

I don't think "she who must be obeyed" would care for that if I win. %-P

JPapiPE said:
Damn Jags, I never knew you were married to Rumpole's ex. Hilda ...poor guy

ain't married, but that was funny.

it is hard for these guys to figure out a good cord cause rarely if ever do they have it stacked in a cord form prior to delivering

I like buying from guys like this. He's been doing this a long time, and he damn sure knows what a cord is and he knows the dimensions of his trailer, and he stacks the wood in it. Simply no question about what I'm buying. Rick

http://bend.craigslist.org/for/815969579.html

fossil said:
I like buying from guys like this. He's been doing this a long time, and he damn sure knows what a cord is and he knows the dimensions of his trailer, and he stacks the wood in it. Simply no question about what I'm buying. Rick

Yes sir,nice trailer too!

fossil said:

Yeah, Rick, It's these new wood sellers that one must keep an eye on...Not so much for being dishonest, but more from inexperience. Now with the fuel crisis going on...I'll quote from Jimmey Durante " Everybody Wants To get Into the Act" and indeed the new sellers are crawling out of the woodwork and see $ signs .

jamkam,

When you are stacking your wood, you don't need to get it to the traditional 4 Ft Wide, 4 Ft High and 8 Ft Long measurements. You can convert Cu Ft to Cu Inches and when your done measuring, convert your figures back to Cu Ft.

The pile also looks a little shy to me too, but you will be proving that soon.

Bill

done first cord. it's about 6'x14'x1.5, that makes it pretty close just a tad off. a small pile is over 20" length (told him i need 18) and he's gonna pick up the oversized and replace it when i'm done. gave him a tip + some corona.

jamkam said:
done first cord. it's about 6'x14'x1.5, that makes it pretty close just a tad off. a small pile is over 20" length (told him i need 18) and he's gonna pick up the oversized and replace it when i'm done. gave him a tip + some corona.
from the pics it look small

Here is how I tip my wood sellers....I walk out to the delivery truck with my S&W;629 strapped to my hip and say " humm, looks a little short" and I always get the same response....well stack it and I'll make up any short... Of coarse I can do that in this god forsaken plantation...no law or code people or wardens for a 100 miles. It always works for me

Jags said:
126 Cu ft. is pretty darn close. 2ft could be easily gained or lost just by the stacking "style".
looks like you got a new girlfriend!

smokinj said:
Jags said:
126 Cu ft. is pretty darn close. 2ft could be easily gained or lost just by the stacking "style".

Yeah, thats all I need. Heck, I can't hardly afford the 1st one. :-/

Jags said:
smokinj said:
Jags said:

yea but this one free!!!!!!!!

smokinj said:
Jags said:
smokinj said:
Jags said:

There is NO SUCH THING as a free girlfriend.

Jags said:
smokinj said:
Jags said:
smokinj said:
Jags said:

There is NO SUCH THING as a free girlfriend.
your right ,but fun to dream

Status
Not open for further replies.