She went out last night and that's a wrap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

They Call Me Pete

Burning Hunk
Nov 18, 2007
CT
With temps in the high 40's to low 50's this week I'm calling it quits. Wood is gone and it too much of a PIA to run stove this time of year. My house warms up nice with sun hitting front of house most of the day. Yesterday I had to open a window to cool house down with stove closed all the way down. Going to start on next years wood next week and hopefully be done by the time summer rolls around. Wouldn't want this wood thing to interfere with my fishing.

I think I am in the same boat, as much as i do not want to. My downstairs will get a bit chilly for the next month or so but oh well...

Ah, the differences in latitude...(no, no Buffett song coming)

40's and 50's are average highs during the day all winter in western VA. Sure we will get a spell of 30's for a couple of days (or even a day or two of 20's), but by in large an overall summary of the whole winter would be 40s-50s day and 20s-30s night. That qualifies for 24/7 burning around here. I probably will let mine go out today however as it is supposed to get into the high 60s, then high 40s tonight and then 60s again tomorrow. Should be back in action by midweek after the front passes thru and we return to...50s day and 30s night.

They Call Me Pete said:
With temps in the high 40's to low 50's this week I'm calling it quits. Wood is gone and it too much of a PIA to run stove this time of year.

My condolences :down:
I've let mine go out this morning, but if it gets below 50º at night there's gonna be a fire.

Hi, Still winter here. The snow banks are 6' high and the snow pack is about 3'. We have had 110" of snow this rear and the record is only 12" away, set in 1873. The weather prognosticators are predicting rain turning to freezing rain tomorrow night. There have been many colapsed roof in the region. Thank goodness I got mine cleaned off this weekend, for the second time this year. Unless thing turn around drastically, I expect to burn for another four weeks with just night time fires after that.

Jim

We have lots of southern exposure and the house heats up nicely from 11am on, but the overnight and early mornings get chilly on the mountain when you have no backup heat. Supposed to be 65 today, but it was 30 at 5am. We're spoiled with the free heat, so we like the house 74+ at night, usually 80 downstairs when we go up to bed. mmmmmm so warm. Only March, so the daytime highs will swing anywhere between 30 and 60 for the next month and the rain makes it very damp. Still, 2 fires a day - morning and night - are sure a lot less work.

yep, think i'm done too.
just burning not quiet seasoned (next years wood) now.
bummed though, wish i was still burning, but lack of wood and temps raising are pushing me inthat direction.

We had our first winter's thunderstorm last night, but the rain quickly turned to snow and a couple of inches of crappy
slush to deal with this morning. Temps to return to below zero later this week, so we're not done burning yet.

I'm in Connecticut too and it's still cold here! It's only in the mid-thirties outside, and inside it's in the low 60s after burning a load this morning. I'm going to keep burning until I run out of wood, which hopefully won't be for a couple of weeks. If it's still cold after that I may pick up another 1/2 cord if I can find anything decent.

Josh

We're in early spring, crocuses, daffodils and camellias blooming, some tiny leaves showing up and the alders are in bloom. But it's up and down temps, still seeing some 30s at night. Fire going now as it was last night.

It was 28 when I woke up today but it was 70 in the house. For a while yet, we'll continue the slow long burn in the day, warm up hard till 10 and back to slow till morning.
But, I think I'm ready for the day when my wife says, "its too hot, let the stove go out."
After that, it'll be only a few fires here and there to take the chill of those rainy spring days.

Then, on to next years preparation. I've got all the wood down for next year, so its the year after we'll be going for.
A good cleaning of the stack, etc.

And, summer fun till Fall 08'!

Another CT wood burner here. I have 2-3 weeks of wood left for my wood boiler, depending on outside temps. I hope it warms up soon.

14 this morning when I got in the truck for the morning commute. Nightime temps still dropping below 20 degrees and an ice storm forecast for Tuesday night/wed morning and a wife who gets cold really easily I figure I've got another 3-5 weeks of 24x7 burning left...probably just enough wood left out there to do it.

I'll start dropping some trees this month to get a jump of curing next winter's batch.

I'll burn as long as possible. If it's going to consume oil to stop, I'm burning. I find that as it warms up, I can let the house get down into the 60's, then fire up the stove and bring it up into the 70's. Then it takes a day or so to cool back down into the 60's. That's a lot of restarts, but it's better than paying for oil at over $3/gal.

At the end, I burn one final very hot fire to clean out any odor in the chimney, then it's the summer sleep for the stove. Kind of sad.

The solar panel does a great job of heating our water from now until late December, so we rarely see the furnace go on any more.

Dan

Well as I sit here and type this I'm getting a fire started. I don't know what happened to the high 40's. It's a damp/cloudy 45 and house is chilly. I've got a quarter tank of oil but oil guy gave me crap about a 100 gal. delivery so screw him and the arabs >:-( .

Boy, you folks in CT sure got good weather compared to us here in Michigan. 50ish right now but 16 for the low tonight and thirty's the rest of the week. I'll keep the fire goin'.

We have 40'- upper 30's for daytime temps this week.....lots of rain expected AGAIN tomorrow. I can't wait for things to dry out.

Currently 71 here with 1-2" of rain predicted tonight and tomorrow.

I was out today bucking wood for next year (I cut it last fall before the leaves fell). I AM going to get my wood in early this year! For real! :)

Ken

It was 9 degrees this morning here in Southern Maine. I just got done shoveling a 3' drift of snow off the roof. I imagine I will be burning into mid april and an occasional evening fire after that. My wood pile has been a bugger to keep accessible with all of this god awful snow. It is looking to be a record snowfall this year. It is amazing the piles of snow everywhere. I have an 8' snow pile along one side of my driveway from the snowblower. The street has 8' snow banks from the plows. You can't see anything but the roofs of houses from the street. I tell my kids to look and remember this snow because it might be an awfully long time before they see another winter like this.

Michael,

Well I hope your kids don't get disappointed ;-) I DON'T want that stuff down here! I can't imagine taking care of our herd of horses with that kind of snow! Our winter was milder than usual, only a couple of 1-2" snows and our driveway was passable all year (Yeah!)

Ken

Micheal, all I can say is WOW! I can't imagine that much snow. We here in CT have had a crap season. My bank account can attest to it. Are you near Wells ? We have friends that live there. Maybe I need to take a road trip and do some snowshoeing. I'm going to have to scrounge up some dry wood to mix with my somewhat green pile.

Here are some pictures of my yard after another 8" Saturday.

Attachments

• 100_2526.jpg
    100_2526.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 259
  • 100_2527.jpg
    100_2527.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 268
  • 100_2528.jpg
    100_2528.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 265
  • 100_2529.jpg
    100_2529.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 265
  • 100_2531.jpg
    100_2531.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 246
We're a long ways from spring here. It was 23 below Friday morning and we have 30-40 inches of snow on the ground. At the higher elevations the snow is 4-5 feet deep. Supposed to get a little rain tomorrow then another big dump. I'll burn wood right through April and maybe early May.

Yikes- with all that snow up in Northern New England just waiting to melt, I think mud season is going to be awful this year. I'm trying to get as much wood cut before the ground thaws but I'm steadily loosing ground. I just read an article in Yankee magazine that called mud season the 5th season of the year :)

Josh

Status
Not open for further replies.