The great blizzard of Dec.16,07, Your impressions,please!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are some pics- a nice storm.....

Attachments

• snow1.jpg
    snow1.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 267
  • snow2.jpg
    snow2.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 273
  • snow3.jpg
    snow3.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 257
  • snow4.jpg
    snow4.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 259
  • snow5.jpg
    snow5.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 249
Webmaster said:
Those trackers are the bomb, but we have (as you know) a lot of years like last year where the blower does not even get used. So I didn't even go for the heated handles......no regrets. Yeah, I'm going out soon to blaze a path to the shed and also a run for the dog. The drive is done, so now it is all optional recreation!

I think my Ariens is 8HP or more, and cast iron bore, so it seems to do a decent job for the price (950)......If I had a longer drive or wanted to do the neighborhood I'd get one of those trackers with a little "cab" or hood around it.

I left a little white on the drive in case we get the ice - my theory being that if I take it down to black, the ice will stick better....
mine too never clear it all unless it will be sunny afterwards
btw is that dog really real???? if so he/she must be very cold to sit so still outside

Switching back to snow here. I tired the 7mo old Golden Retriever out. He's really mellow for a puppy right now. For the time being........

1'+ of snow already and still coming with 10mph winds. Roads are a mess. Just putting more wood on the fire and wondering when it will stop so I can clean my driveway and the way to my wood pile. It has been so thick that visibility was only about 50 yards at times. This is what winter used to be like.

9 1/2" here in Newfields NH, Seacoast area of NH. From a weather standpoint this has been a decent storm but not one for the record books. It's area of impact has been huge and a lot of atmospheric energy with this system. Brother-in-law reports tornadoes in the Orlando Fl area today, 3 touched down. They are going from a high of 76 yesterday to tornadoes today to a windchill advisory tonight with windchills in the 20 following trailing cold front passage. Most of us in New England will definately be feeling the wind and cold for the next 36 hours as this storm finally re-develops over the maritimes tonight and tomorrow. You watch our best computer weather models try to plot the merging of atmospheric dynamics and so often while they can produce the basic idea of what will happen, they still miss exactly when and where and to what degree. Where Web lives got pretty much what was advertised, I imagine many in Northwestern New England did too. Coastal plain and south of 495 and Mass, Ct line got robbed! I'm surprised we got as much here as we did. Kind of nice that there are some things that we still can't fully understand. I know we'll have a white Christmas here in Newfields. We have about 16-17" total on the ground now and no real warm air in sight. Next possible storm opportunity towards the end of the week. Snow? Rain? Neither??...

So far 7 1/2" on the cars. Maybe some blew off, who knows. There's over a foot on the ground since Thursday.

Matt

Had about 1-2ft here in southern Michigan. Blizard conditions this morning and a lot of drifting. The road through our subdivision was not plowed all day. I just barely managed to get out to buy some groceries with my Cobalt. It was getting to the point where the floorpan was riding up onto the snow. If the turns were not so tight it would be easy if one keeps the speed up.... The neighbor got stuck trying to get out his driveway and had to be towed clear with a jeep. I guess nobody on the street has a plow. I thought you might enjoy the "aerodynamic" job the storm did to our Kia Spectra, which looks like a boxy van with its wind blown snow cap more than a foot deep.

Attachments

• Dec16 storm0005.JPG
    Dec16 storm0005.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 276
Outside Gettysburg Pa, 7:20pm.....Clear skies, 40+ mph. winds. You guys up north lookout, it's gonna get windy for sure!

1.75 inches of rain/ice here, NO SNOW.

we got another 5-10 in springfield area before the rain cam now its back to snow ..sleet n stuff
why couldn't we get 2 ft of snow

4" of sleet/snow, very hard. Glad my blower has tracks, still had to run all the driveways downhill to cut into it. Popped a shear pin just as I finished my neighbors. Know what I'm doing tomorrow after work! Getting windy and cold on the back side of the system, but supposed to warm up as soon as this wave passes.

Was almost hoping to get "snowed in" so I could work on some inside projects for the War Department. Finding out that I should have gotten the chains for my wagon sooner! Thing was in the woods yesterday, found myself TRYING to get it stuck, but couldn't. Working on some tops that a neighbor had cut last year, getting it cut and stacked, ready to move in the spring.

Yet another swing and a miss by the weather idiots. Wish they could do something more than read a report from NWS and Accuweather off the teleprompter.

I'm about an hour north of the Ohio border and it didn't live up to the hype. I'd say 6"..maybe 7" of snow but a lot of drifting. Per usual, you fellas in the Ohio valley and out in the north east seem to have gotten the brunt of it.

In Western MA I picked up probably 12=-14 inches of snow...stayed pretty cold throuhgout the storm so not much freezing rain fortunately and what we did get of it was on top of the snow so it scraped off pretty well. Got my truck stuck twice this morning while plowing my driveway too.

All in all I'd say this was a solid 2 foot week for me.

WE got 14 inches up in Litchfield County, CT. I never knew HelX could be so cold!

Got about 1 foot on Thursday, then the Sunday storm added another 12-14" or so, but this stuff was much heavier and sleet mixed in. A real PITA to clear. If it wasn't for the rain sleet mixed in, this would have easily been more than 2'.

harley, you coming up for air after plowing? Or just simply starting to get ready for tax season?

My dog was pretty much stuck in the paths I carved, but today she found out that she could walk on top of the crust.....about a 1 inch crust on the 14" of (settled) snow. The most snow I've seen in a while in terms of the plow piles, etc.

Webmaster said:
harley, you coming up for air after plowing? Or just simply starting to get ready for tax season?

Well - its a nice little diversion from thinking about the busy season. my pos plow truck got stuck right off the bat on Sunday, so I ended up doing the driveway with the 4-wheeler, and got it punched out. I'll get the plow truck unstuck sometime this week to finish up. It was just myself and the secretary here at the office today, so I spent most of the day plowing out our yard. There was a lot of ice mixed in here at the office.

Maybe I should add that to my bidness card... full service CPA... taxes, snow removal and firewood :coolsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.