totally addicted

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

barneyfife

Feb 28, 2011
vancouver island
Wow, do I have it bad. We are new to burning to heat the house, only 6 months, and all I think about now is wood. Just out the back now, bucking and splittin some big leaf maple. Still an inch of snow on the ground, but I had to get out. Just me and the dog. Wife thinks i have lost it. We moved from the city out to the "sticks", and getting wood has taken over. Luckily I have access to lots of Doug Fir, and Maple. Is there an organization like AA for wood addiction? lol I had a small ford ranger when we moved here 6 months ago, but that wasnt gonna cut it. Am now the owner of a 2008 dodge ram 2500 4 door long box with the hemi engine, it loves gas, but can haul lotsa wood, and its a football field long. Had to get a saw also. New Stihl 290. Does it ever end?

Have a 10x16x8 shed now, and its full, gotta build a bigger one this summer. Thinkin of 10x24x8.

It is dark now, so i had to come inside. But tomorrow is another day

Barney

Welcome to the club. :coolsmile:

Welcome aboard! I see you have just been bitten. It'll get better.. You're wife will love the heat.. and you'll tone it down a few notches with time. This site is the best we've got to share our pain... your among friends. :)

barneyfife said:
Wow, do I have it bad. ... Is there an organization like AA for wood addiction? Barney

Yes, there is an organization and this is it. Unfortunately we are more about enabling you than helping overcome your addition. Around here the 12 steps are something like buck, split, stack, repeat four times.

Welcome to the forum barneyfife.

It's not an addiction; its a hobby. Well, for some it is a hobby anyway. We've done this for many moons and still love it. Also live in the country and I would not have it any other way. I hate going even to a village that doesn't even have a traffic light! I am best in the country and truly at home in the woods.

Welcome, This may not be the right place for recovery. I am just saying.

I believe that there is an inherent drive to provide self-sustaining heat by the Male species. I am in the same boat with being fixated on wood. Since I started new to burning this year, beginning the first week of December, I have used about 3 cords+ of wood. I have no less than 12, and more likely 15 cords cut on my property, cut, split and mostly stacked. You would think that would satisfy the wood scrounging impulse for a while. But NOOOOOOOOOOO! I can't stop thinking of how to get all of the wood that my neighbor has given me access to. It will exceed 10 cords for sure. Gotta get a bigger saw, gotta find a 4wd loader to borrow, gotta make room around the splitting area, gotta find more wood or something else to stack on, gotta keep on it! But really, it does not get the best of me.

Backwoods Savage said:
Welcome to the forum barneyfife.

It's not an addiction; its a hobby. Well, for some it is a hobby anyway. We've done this for many moons and still love it. Also live in the country and I would not have it any other way. I hate going even to a village that doesn't even have a traffic light! I am best in the country and truly at home in the woods.

agree with everything here. nothing beats the feeling of looking at a full wood-pile before the snow flies each year!! in backwoods case, he has enough wood-piles for many years!!!!!!!
as far as the cities go, i think there is a direct relationship between stress and population. if one increases, so does the other. barney, it may take some time for your wife to appreciate the "country" but i do believe she'll come around. personally, i can't get enough of my cottage...when i first met 99lbs, she would come out usually only a handful of times and i was lucky if she would stay overnight. nowadays, it is usually every weekend (during the summer). by the time retirement comes around, i hope to have it set up for permanent living.

just sayin, hang in there and let her make fun of your "obsession" with the new lifestyle of woodburning. just be careful when working and i bet she'll lend a hand. heck, look at all the ladies on this site that are totally involved with woodstoves-every aspect, from start to finish!

My BIL told me it would eventually become OLD to me and I would not enjoy it as much. It's my 3rd year and the NEW has worn off - but I am still scanning the roadside as I drive to work looking for scrounge opportunities.

I've never been OCD - but it's become a sickness.

No cure that I am aware of...... embrace it, enjoy it!

We all do....

smokinjay said:
Welcome, This may not be the right place for recovery. I am just saying.

+1 right on. ;-)

I'm afraid we're all enablers here when it comes to woodstoves and wood addictions.

Yep. The newness has faded for me, but doesn't mean I'll stop, it just means I can now kick back a little and enjoy it more.
First 3 years was all about getting enough put up to avoid the "wet wood syndrome". Now, it's about maintenance. There's more of a cycle now where everything has come together as planned.
I'll continue refining how things are done, but it's now MUCH easier .
I guess that's what having 3 years worth of wood, someplace to let it dry, and a woodshed to keep it in during the winter months will do for 'ya.
Just my observations about what's worked for me.
We've all got a similar story.

What we are trying to say is we are glad that we are not alone in this wood burning addiction. My wife thought i had lost it too but she is really starting to understand. If you exercise caution, it is a very healthy and productive hobby.

Welcome!

We started burning Sept 09 and love it. I do enjoy going out to collect wood with my husband. Usually, while he's cutting I'm loading and dumping then going back for more. Sometimes I'll get "that look" while helping but that's ok. It's great exercise. Even on my daily walk through the neighborhood, I always look for down limbs, branches and trees then make a note of where when I get home. At some point I know he'll add it to our pile.

There'll come a day when she, too, will lend a hand....she'll realize how warm she is with wood heat.

barneyfife said:
I had a small ford ranger when we moved here 6 months ago, but that wasnt gonna cut it. Am now the owner of a 2008 dodge ram 2500 4 door long box with the hemi engine, it loves gas, but can haul lotsa wood, and its a football field long. Had to get a saw also. New Stihl 290. Does it ever end?

Have a 10x16x8 shed now, and its full, gotta build a bigger one this summer. Thinkin of 10x24x8.

Barney

Wow... that sure jacks up the price of a cord of 'free wood' doesn't it? Had a Bass Boat once and I figured it cost me about $568.49 a pound for fish but it sure tasted good. :) Salesman told me the fish would jump in the boat just for the ride. He lied.

barneyfife,
What really hurts is when you're dying to get into the woods to cut and scrounge but there's just shy of 4' of snow on the ground.
Will be looking into some tracks for my Sportsman or a snow machine for next year. Going out on the snowshoes and dropping trees for removal after the meltdown is what I have to settle for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.