tree cycle followup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome pelletpig54,

Glad you could join us. Enjoy your stay with us. As a seasoned burner, Hopefully you could assist with the new burner and there questions?

We love to see and hear about fellow burners stoves and what brands of pellets there having good luck with. We all try to put our stove in our signature so others can see what we are burning.

pelletpig54 said:
Hello All!

This is my first post on here but have been burning my Harman XXV for 5 years now.......

Welcome pelletpig54......glad to have "seasoned" veterans along with "newbies" joining.....the more, the merrier!

Oh, and BTW, we require a pic of your stove install, or, as we say here, "no pic means it never really happened". :cheese:

"if u turn the feed rate down too much so the fire goes out intermittently, the buildup of gas from smouldering pellets will result in a minor? gas explosion.= flame’s gotta remain present & not even slightly extinguished by incoming pellets"

Thanks BLIMP,point taken. Will see what options,if any,the company offers up when the season starts.

Just heard of a new plant opening up this fall in Palmerton, PA. Sounds like the owner knows his stuff--anxious to try these guys! Anyone else hear of this company?? I can't remember the name.

BTU said:
pelletpig54 said:
Just heard of a new plant opening up this fall in Palmerton, PA. Sounds like the owner knows his stuff--anxious to try these guys! Anyone else hear of this company?? I can't remember the name.

http://www.greatamericanpellets.com/

Thanks for the link BTU. You always come thru in the clutch! :cheese:

Another chipped pellet comes to market. And a hardwood at that. Hope they get all the bark off!

Can't wait to try them!

Thanks BTU....this plant really looks great. I wish them luck and hope they strike up a good deal with our local distributors. I'm not fond of using Hinton and Sons and think that other places like the Northampton Farm Bureau and Tractor Supply are better. I also like the idea of burning only "clean" wood---not landscaping waste like Treecycle!

j-takeman said:
slvrblkk said:
I wonder if this was the company that was doing the survey's here a while back?????????????????

Can you find the thread? I searched but missed it! Post a link if you do.

shoot...I went through a bunch or my old posts but can't find it.....I sort of remember it being part of another post unrelated to the new company....

slvrblkk said:
j-takeman said:
slvrblkk said:
I wonder if this was the company that was doing the survey's here a while back?????????????????

Can you find the thread? I searched but missed it! Post a link if you do.

Found it! It was a bit further back than I thought.....Not sure if it's them but the poster was listed as "Northeast, PA" which is where it is.....

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/39885/

Thanks slvrblkk, I will PM and maybe request a sample to burn for the group? In a new thread of coarse!

pelletpig54 said:
I also like the idea of burning only "clean" wood---not landscaping waste like Treecycle!

When you say clean wood do you mean they are cutting down trees just to make sure they have a clean supply just for pellets.

I'm new to the pellets but I thought that every pellet company is using whatever hardwoods or chips that would just wind up in the landfill. I'm learning something new on pellet making, but do clear this up for me please. What is usually used to supply pellet making?

Regardless of what treecycle now uses for their pellets, I gave in and purchased 3 tons and had it delivered today. Very friendly service from placing the order to the delivery. I delt with Mike Timpson to place my order. Excellent communication, fast email responses, A+ in my book so far.

I guess I'll know when the cold hits, what the pellets will do. I'm using them in a Profile20 and I will clean it really good and see what they will do to the glass and how much ash will come out and if the heat meets my demand, but I depend mostly on firewood heat.

So far I'm VERY happy with my delivery, thanks TreeCycle team if you get to read this.

I'll let everyone know if I get any clinkers but I am confident it's taken care of.

pelletnubi said:
pelletpig54 said:
I also like the idea of burning only "clean" wood---...........

When you say clean wood do you mean they are cutting down trees just to make sure they have a clean supply just for pellets.

I'm new to the pellets but I thought that every pellet company is using whatever hardwoods or chips that would just wind up in the landfill. I'm learning something new on pellet making, but do clear this up for me please. What is usually used to supply pellet making?

The wood for pellets generally comes from waste fiber from wood mills. There is usually a abundant supply of this fiber. But when you get slow years like the past few. We get less good fiber and more fiber that would be used for other products.

The trees used in the making of the wood products mostly comes from managed forests. What ever is harvested is replanted and in 30 years or so. When the new trees have matured. The cycle would continue. The whole tree pellet maker is using these same managed trees and it isn't much different actually. Its not like they come to your house and cut down the favorite shade tree you have out in the back yard.

The better mills have a lock on there fiber source. The fiber is from in house wood milling for other wood products they make and they save there own fiber. The tree chipping also offers a lock on the quality fiber. Once the bark is removed. The whole tree is chipped and hamered into small chips and dust to be pelletized. Nice clean wood just like the better pellet makers.

Hope I helped a little?

Thanks J, as I always thought that woods that would be considered waste was the sole supply for pellet making, this was what I thought before I started using pellets a year ago. Early this year was when I read about saw dust being used and now I just learned that there is also tree harvesting just for the production.

I guess as long as the pellets produce clean heat without clogging up my stove, I really don't care much, but would rather have a GOOD QUALITY pellet made from materials that would wind up in the landfill wether it's chips or logs from my neighbors backyard. But that pellet would have to meet everyones' expectations, of course.

Thats the way it used to be but when the fiber is scarce during recessions. We need a alternitive pellet. If they don't make products there isn't enough fiber to go around for all the products that use it. We have other products that use the same fiber a pellet would. Fiber board to name one. Sure there are many more.

I also think they would not harvest the premium trees to make pellets. They would harvest the lesser wood and save the good stuff for when things pickup. We get the trees that would not make top grade lumber. These trees would most likely be trimmings to give the good wood breathing room to futher grow.

We will thank these mills that are using chipped trees when the next fiber scare comes along. These chipped tree pellet makers could save the people that religh totally on wood pellets for heat! I am hoping because if there is another fiber shortage, I would be the one cutting trees to heat my house along with many others.

These are just theorys of mine, I have no actual proof except the tree chipping mills are growing in numbers. I count 3 that totally religh on them and 1 that is using both market fiber and tree chipping to make a pellet!

I guess since this thread was started to talk about TreeCycle and how it is performing, I don't think it will hurt to post the information from where I purchased my pellets.

Mike Timpson
www.pellets4u.com

His website will show price, phone # and email if anyone is interested.

BTU said:
pelletpig54 said:

I inquired and I received a reply from Jeff. He said that Stoves n Stuff in Stroudsburg PA will be selling the pellets.

Can't wait to try them out!

poconoman said:
BTU said:
pelletpig54 said:

I inquired and I received a reply from Jeff. He said that Stoves n Stuff in Stroudsburg PA will be selling the pellets.

That sucks, I don't think I'll be driving up their just to pick up a couple bags..........Is that the only place selling them?

slvrblkk said:
poconoman said:
BTU said:
pelletpig54 said:

That sucks, I don't think I'll be driving up their just to pick up a couple bags..........Is that the only place selling them?

I suggest you email Jeff about your area. He asked me about stoves shops in my area and he said he'll inquire those stores about selling his pellets.

pelletnubi said:
pelletpig54 said:
I also like the idea of burning only "clean" wood---not landscaping waste like Treecycle!

Regardless of what treecycle now uses for their pellets, I gave in and purchased 3 tons and had it delivered today. Very friendly service from placing the order to the delivery. I delt with Mike Timpson to place my order. Excellent communication, fast email responses, A+ in my book so far.

I guess I'll know when the cold hits, what the pellets will do. I'm using them in a Profile20 and I will clean it really good and see what they will do to the glass and how much ash will come out and if the heat meets my demand, but I depend mostly on firewood heat.

So far I'm VERY happy with my delivery, thanks TreeCycle team if you get to read this.

I'll let everyone know if I get any clinkers but I am confident it's taken care of.

Howdie Partners!

Been a loong hot summer....

Just Got off the phone with Mike T.
Picking up some samples tomorrow.

Mike says they obtained some real decent wood suppliers.
Clean Wood.

Mike made good the situation last year & I said I would give TreeCycle another go this Winter.

Looking to fire up the Harman Advance soon as can to burn the samples.
I will post how they are a burning.

We have almost a tractor trailer load of pellets ready to purchase from TreeCycle.
So I am hoping for the best.
Mike is very confident about their product.
From the wood that goes in them to the pellets aroma.
Which says alot about the quality wood they are made from.

I bought my pellets last year from Pinnacle Logistics, Rob I think it was. Anyone know if they will be delivering pellets again this year? I searched the net for them, but I haven't had any luck. Getting close to that time!

glockshooter said:
I bought my pellets last year from Pinnacle Logistics, Rob I think it was. Anyone know if they will be delivering pellets again this year? I searched the net for them, but I haven't had any luck. Getting close to that time!

Pinnacle Logistics 570-982-5643.

I called many times and he hasn't returned my calls.

Pinnacle went belly up, his truck blew up and he had some money problems from what i was told in the early part of this year. you better look for another supplier.

After last year most local sellers (NW NJ & NE PA) that I have used in the past have dropped the TreeCycle brand...... Their reputation is shot..... It will take a few years to undo the fiasco of last years batches..... Hope they make a come back with really good product.... One place offered them at $180.00 per ton..... No takers.....

Status
Not open for further replies.