1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

WFO - I went out of my zone and into the 'zone.

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by fishingpol, Aug 11, 2013.

1. fishingpol

fishingpol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA
    Agreed on the salt. Great advice from Jeni on the stone. Pre-heat and let it sit for a bit to get to temp. Olive oil helps with the crunch in the crust.

The recipe she posted looks good. I may modify mine by adding olive oil to the dough. One tip I will add for rising. I set the oven for 200::F in the house. When it reaches temp, I shut it off, let it sit a few minutes and put the dough in oiled bowls with plastic wrap into the oven. I let the dough rise to about double in size. If the dough expands too big and the air bubbles pop, it has over risen. (Don't ask me how I know this.) The dough will have a yeasty pungent smell and it will be flat when it comes out of the oven.

Oh, and I post these threads just for the sheer enjoyment of the ever so slight harrasment comments from PapaDave because I don't get enough of them at work. ;lol
    Hearth Mistress and PapaDave like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    All in good fun Jon.
    I love pizza, and your pics.
    So, you're a gluten for punishment, eh?:p
    Been making bread for a couple minutes, and I've gotten pretty good at it. The pizza though.........
    I've got a nice sourdough starter in the fridge. Sourdough pizza.....hmmm.
    fishingpol and Hearth Mistress like this.
  3. DevilsBrew

DevilsBrew Minister of Fire

Any advice for making non-doughy pizza rolls in a wood oven?
  4. DevilsBrew

Ok, I suck at this. I REALLY need to practice on my outdoor baking skills. Smoking the ribs was a million times easier. This afternoon I tried to make pizza rolls using the pizza dough recipe on this thread. I had the worst time overcooking the outsides. Good News! I got one! Ha ha! I will try more tomorrow.

[​IMG]
  5. fishingpol

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA
    Soak the bricks with the coals to get them nice and hot. Let the oven cool to baking temp before putting them in. Any pics of the oven?
  6. DevilsBrew

I don't have any pictures and was changing it up during the baking. I made a little teeny brick oven. There was a brick shelf above the fire. I was also changing it up and playing with fire again. I am still trying to figure out this rocket stove design. I have got to think about this some more. I used less of a rocket stove and tandoor design this time and didn't enclose the opening or top as much. That is part of the failure. I am going to try more of a tunnel tomorrow.
  7. DevilsBrew

I got it up to 500 at one point but the temp would drop drastically.
  8. fishingpol

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA
    Without insulation, it may be a challenge to retain heat. Can you double up on the bricks to create more mass or use some sort of insulative blanket to keep the heat in the bricks? What about a channel for a rocket type stove on the ground and a brick chamber above it to get heated without having the actual fire in the cooking area. It may need some a bit of bricks, but you may have greater control over the temp. I use a wooden baking door to block the oven opening that I soak in water before baking.

A house up the street has an old outdoor type fireplace that many people made back in the 1950's. On each side there are brick chambers that I believe was used for cooking bread. Either the heat from the cooking fire radiated to warm the chambers or coals were placed in the chambers for a while to get the bricks to temp.
  9. DevilsBrew

Exactly. All fantastic suggestions. There is a video on another thread about using insulating tape. I have GOT to read up on kilns. I also need to pick up more bricks and at some point down the road get some firebricks for the interior. I'm hoping to take a look at a dragonburner here soon so maybe that will help.
  10. rottiman

rottiman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ontario Canada
    As I sat reading this, a revolution was starting in my tummy. God, that sure looks good. Then the mention of Cinnamon Buns pushed it completly over the edge. LOL
  11. mattjm1017

mattjm1017 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Corapeake NC
    Do you have some kind of instructions or a link to instructions for building a brick oven? I have a huge pile of bricks out back and would love to put them to use and I cant think of anything better than a pizza oven.
  12. fishingpol

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA
    Here is a quick and easy one to try. Firebricks are recommended for the inside of the oven if anything substantial is being built.

mattjm1017 and DevilsBrew like this.
  13. DevilsBrew

For anyone interested in building a brick oven - I picked my angle iron up at Lowes. The big box stores don't stock firebrick but Home Depot does carry the clay bricks. Craigslist is a good place to search for free clay bricks.
    mattjm1017 likes this.
  14. Gary_602z

Gary_602z Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Odessa,MI
    Dang Jon, how is your cholesterol doing? :) Mine just went up looking at it!

Gary