1 Hand Log Tongs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

walhondingnashua

Minister of Fire
Jul 23, 2016
ohio
Thinking about buying a set of 1 hand log tongs (not the ones used for dragging logs with a machine). I use a small pickeroon I made but I don't want my 9 year old swinging it. Thought he might like the tongs. Anyone with suggestions?

I have something like these. I don’t think my 10 year old would be very efficient with them. They grab fine it’s releasing them that takes practice. A good set of gloves for him would be better. I use them with a pulp hook for heavy stuff and just the pulp hook for split wood. Pay attention to the handle orientation to the tongs. The set below has the handle in the same plane as the tongs and works best to carry the logs across your front line carrying a log in both arms. The other orientation is more for dragging logs beside you.

Felled Log Tongs Lifting Firewood Tongs - 10in Manual Log Lifter Logging Tongs Moving Trees and Camping Logs Amazon product ASIN B08W1HDKQ3

Used them for the first time last night. For an already split piece of wood, I still like my short pickeroon to ick those up and move them around.
I have a 20" red oak that I just cut down and bucked. Each round is on the edge of to heavy for me to pick up for the splitter so I split them into 1/4s with the splitter standing up. The tongs are perfect for getting these 1/4 rounds up on the splitter once I set it back in a horizontal position. They have their place in my woodshed now.

I have a pair of Stihl banded tongs. The handle is perpendicular to the tongs, which is pretty nice. I've grabbed some big rounds with them, they work well one handed.

Used them again yesterday. I bought the 10" set. I needed to carry some dead has rounds up a bank to where I was going to split them. The tongs bit well into the sides so I could carry 1 round with the tongs and hit one with my short pickeroon and carry 2 at a time. Much easier and more efficient. Liking them more and more. May even get a bigger pair for the price of the cheaper ones I bought.