10 Cord Wood Shed Finished!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Your shed looks awesome! I'm looking to build something very similar to yours. Did you happen to use any plans to build it?
I did not - I hadn't built anything like this before but I just looked at variations of wood shed pictures online and decided what suited me. Pretty much learned as I go, but it came out well! Seems to be holding up really well so far. If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me and I can try and assist.

I like the general design of your shed, just a few comments. First, let your roof overhang all of the sides by plenty and it will keep all of the rain off of the stacks and you don't need gutters. Very easy to do with a metal roof. Second, people should size each "bay" of the shed to be ~ one winter worth of burning. Then one bay gets emptied out each year, you can clean it out and refill it for the later years. Last thing I would say is that it is cheaper to make the sides and back of welded wire fence than spaced boards. The welded wire fence is plenty strong with intermediate supports. Lastly, if you are in an area with a lot of blowing snow, then you probably want to tarp the side with prevailing wind in the winter to keep all of the blowing snow out. With GT lumber, a shed like that with a metal roof will last 30-50 years.

Reactions: FTG-05
Almost done...last step is to put dividers up between the three sections. Each one will hold just over a full cord. The wall on the right will be a shared wall with a storage shed; that's why it's not ventilated like the others. All of the wall boards and the overhang is made with recycled PT decking (last year's project) The rearward sloping roof is clear polycarbonate, which will let the sun get to the wood... I'll post an official photo when it's really done, and the site is presentable. :)

Oh...and in the middle of this project, my neighbor takes down a bunch of trees, so I took some time to retrieve a good face cord of oak. You can see the freshly cut rounds to the left. Stuff splits like butter!

:)
shed.png

Last edited:
This week my wife and I had the week off for work, and took on this project. Each bay technically holds 5.75 cords of wood at 8' tall, so I figure I'll stack a little shorter and aim for 5 cords in each bay. This should hold two season's worth of wood at the rate we use it.

This was an ambitious project for us, but pretty happy with how it turned out. It is just under 20' long and 10' deep, 8' tall at the lowest and 9.5' tall in the the front. Posts are sunk 32" and we have concrete in the holes. Going to put pallets on the ground to stack the wood on. Only thing left is to add some corner braces in the front, add the pallets and then fill it! I already have the ten cords cut and split that have been sitting out for a year, so now I can keep them nice and dry.

Let me know your thoughts, we are not "construction" people so we did the best we could with the knowledge we could find. :) I'll be happy to answer any questions if there are any. Total cost was $1400 including renting the power auger, though I had the plywood for the roof already so that part was free.

View attachment 286642 View attachment 286643
What is your ventilation spacing ? I like the brown stain.