1000 gal horizontal thermal storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chewy

Nov 7, 2009
Indiana
Hello all, I'm wondering if anyone could post some pics of how they plumbed an anhydrous tank for thermal storage. I've had an effecta 35 for @ 1.5 years now that I have yet to install. I figure it's better late than never.

Tyia,
Erin

Hello all, I'm wondering if anyone could post some pics of how they plumbed an anhydrous tank for thermal storage. I've had an effecta 35 for @ 1.5 years now that I have yet to install. I figure it's better late than never.

Tyia,
Erin

I could send you pics but mine are all spray foamed and wrapped up now. I have 2 1000 gal anhydrous tanks sitting horizontal and I heat them in parallel. Not sure what inlets you have on your setup, but I use 3 on top and 1 on the bottom. One of the hookups on top is actually an internal pipe that goes to the bottom of the tank. So, if you can picture it I pull water from the internal pipe of the tank to the boiler and feed hot water from the boiler to the top of the tank. The other port from the top of the tank goes to my house and the port at the bottom of the tank is the return from my house. Let me know if you have other questions.

Mark, ty for the reply. I think I'm doing basically the same thing that you did. I dont have pics right now, but made up a quick diagram of what I'm doing. All the holes are done and welds completed. All that is left is to pressure test the vessel.

One other question I have is my boiler calls for 1 1/4" lines, but best I can tell my laddomat 21-60 has smaller pipe fittings.
Any thoughts?
20151125_211336.jpg

Erin

Not just any v gun.... first generation!

Reactions: Mike Fromme
Mark, ty for the reply. I think I'm doing basically the same thing that you did. I dont have pics right now, but made up a quick diagram of what I'm doing. All the holes are done and welds completed. All that is left is to pressure test the vessel.

One other question I have is my boiler calls for 1 1/4" lines, but best I can tell my laddomat 21-60 has smaller pipe fittings.
Any thoughts?View attachment 167980

Erin

looks very similar to what I'm doing, though I only have one temp sensor measuring 2/3rds to the bottom of the tanks. Been running over two yrs now and works great.

Not sure the specs on your laddomat, as long as it has the GPM rating for your boiler you should be okay, I run a grundfoss 15-58 on my 300k btu econoburn and have 2" piping then adapt to the pump and have had no issues.

I may have a tank available in the spring if your interested. I'm up in Laporte county.
Thanks for the offer. I already have a 1000 gal tank.

Erin

Status
Not open for further replies.