1983 Energy Harvester stove specs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah. He is full of excrement. Or is burning it in the stove.

BB - Who has burned in a lot of old stoves.

No excrement here....sorry to disappoint you. However, I respect your option to "Call BS" for whatever reasons you deem appropriate. You are more than welcome to watch me load the stove, adjust the air flow, close the damper, and then sit there and gather data at any time.

Yes, a controlled burn does mean a chimney fire. Please note that many times there is not enough accumulated "crud" to intiate a chimney fire. It should also be noted that such activities are never taken lightly and are performed with a chimfix log and a fire extinguisher nearby, I feel that it is much better to have a chimney fire started and controlled by the owner rather than to have one occur when the house is not occupied.

In terms of heating capability for that length of time, my home may be 50 degrees when I get back, but it is not 20 degrees. In terms of burn time, it all depends upon the fuel (and moisture content) and how much you can fit into the firebox.

Reactions: sealady
All well and good. When they make charcoal, they can have a fire for a week.......an open fire, covered by dirt.

But we shouldn't call this a "burn". It's not. What it is is a distillery. You are creating at least 10X the pollution (hundreds of toxic compounds) that burning a clean stove would result in...

I do love that stove, though....and I'm glad I don't live too close downwind to you!

Greetings
We bought a new Energy Harvester stove in 1979 and have happily used it ever since.
We use about 2 - 2 1/2 cords of wood, usually oak, each year.
I clean the 5" flue pipe 2-3 times each heating season. I try to do it often enough to avoid flue fires.
The lower draft is open about 30-40%, the upper (secondary) about 20% and I haven't changed them in years. A load of wood will easily last 8-12 hours. The manual suggests the upper draft be set to about 1/2 the lower opening.
If I want a hotter fire, I will leave the door ajar by letting the latch stop on the outside of the catch, which leaves a small air gap all around the door. (I never leave home without latching the door)
I still have the original screen, but only use it once in a while when I am starting a fire from cold.
The stove is still as good as new.
I have the original manuals and literature if interested.
i also have a coal unit for it that has never been out of the box. The top cover must be removed for the unit which is where the coal would be loaded. it is a down draft design and includes a shaker. i have no idea how well it works, how polluting it is, etc. Perhaps it would work with pellets, who knows.

Hey there All.......
I have had this stove in my garage for a few years that I picked up for $100 and am finally getting ready to move it up to the cabin above Boulder, CO. Pretty small cabin and I am hoping that it's not too much stove but have a couple of questions. Can I use it with out the Cat and not have problems ?? What are the clearances I need to follow if I mount it diagonally in a corner. I am thinking about going straight out the wall and then a T with cleanout at the bottom and maybe 15' of pipe to get me above the peak. Any help would be majorly appreciated !!

Storogoth

If your stove is an "Energy Harvester", then it never had a cat - so none is used or needed. If your area does not have restrictions on older stoves (allows use), then you are OK.

As far as corner clearances, you'd have to check if anyone has a manual or can carefully read or take a pic of the label to determine that. With no label, you'd have to stick with NFPA (generic) clearances which you can look up on this site or elsewhere - and reduce with protection on the wall.

As far as a chimney, if there is a possibility of going straight up, that's the best way.

If your stove is an "Energy Harvester", then it never had a cat - so none is used or needed. If your area does not have restrictions on older stoves (allows use), then you are OK.

As far as corner clearances, you'd have to check if anyone has a manual or can carefully read or take a pic of the label to determine that. With no label, you'd have to stick with NFPA (generic) clearances which you can look up on this site or elsewhere - and reduce with protection on the wall.

As far as a chimney, if there is a possibility of going straight up, that's the best way.

Thanks for the help. Looking forward to the first fire in this nice stove.

I recently obtained an Energy Harvester stove and was hoping to find someone with the original owners manual/instruction booklet. Mostly out of curiosity but also to see if it could be any help in the how to get the best burn with the upper and lower controls on the front door. I see user Maddockfarm has the original paper work but doesn't frequent the site much. Is there a way to send a direct message?

Any help would be appreciated.

Jim

I recently obtained an Energy Harvester stove and was hoping to find someone with the original owners manual/instruction booklet. Mostly out of curiosity but also to see if it could be any help in the how to get the best burn with the upper and lower controls on the front door. I see user Maddockfarm has the original paper work but doesn't frequent the site much. Is there a way to send a direct message?

Any help would be appreciated.

Jim

I would be glad to make a copy of all that I have and mail it to you or scan it or ? Let me know.

Bob

I would be glad to make a copy of all that I have and mail it to you or scan it or ? Let me know.

Bob

If you are willing and you upload it as a file in a post here (right next to the post reply button) then it could be a resource to many people! There are folks who may add the file to other places on the site like the wiki to help make sure it could be a permanent resource.

Nice of you to offer.

pen

Bob

It would be great if you could scan it and upload it to the site. I guess a PDF would be the most common way. That way anyone could access it and print a copy for themselves. I have looked pretty thoroughly online and have been unable to find an owners manual. I believe someone uploaded one to the site a few years back but the link was no longer in use.

Another question: The paperwork for the town wants the Testing Agency for the stove. Being that the stove is so old i'm not sure this is relevant but is the Agency that tested the stove marked somewhere on the stove itself?

Thanks Again!!

Jim

If you are willing and you upload it as a file in a post here (right next to the post reply button) then it could be a resource to many people! There are folks who may add the file to other places on the site like the wiki to help make sure it could be a permanent resource.

Nice of you to offer.

pen

is there a way to contact another member directly? To see if i can get a printed copy?

Thanks!

Jim

is there a way to contact another member directly? To see if i can get a printed copy?

Thanks!

Jim

You can click on their name then click on "start a conversation"

You can click on their name then click on "start a conversation"
Pen

Thanks, didn't see that option. Maddock has sent me the manual and said he also sent one to the site itself. Maybe someone could post the manual as i'm sure it would be appreciated.

Thanks Again Jim

Here are copies of the manual and a brochure.

Attachments

• Eneregy Harvester brochure pg 1026.jpg
    Eneregy Harvester brochure pg 1026.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 1,949
  • Energy Harvester Brochure pg 2.jpg
    Energy Harvester Brochure pg 2.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 1,769
  • Energy Harvester Manual cover & pg 1.jpg
    Energy Harvester Manual cover & pg 1.jpg
    299.3 KB · Views: 1,632
  • Energy Harvester Manual pgs 2&3.jpg
    Energy Harvester Manual pgs 2&3.jpg
    361.2 KB · Views: 1,738
  • Energy Harvester Manual pgs 4&5.jpg
    Energy Harvester Manual pgs 4&5.jpg
    339.8 KB · Views: 1,763
  • Energy Harvester Manual pgs 6&7.jpg
    Energy Harvester Manual pgs 6&7.jpg
    394.2 KB · Views: 1,740
  • Energy Harvester Manual pgs 8&9.jpg
    Energy Harvester Manual pgs 8&9.jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 1,630
  • Energy Harvester Manual pgs 10&11.jpg
    Energy Harvester Manual pgs 10&11.jpg
    349.3 KB · Views: 1,742
  • Energy Harvester Manual pgs 12&13.jpg
    Energy Harvester Manual pgs 12&13.jpg
    346.2 KB · Views: 1,479
  • Energy Harvester Manual pg 14 & cover.jpg
    Energy Harvester Manual pg 14 & cover.jpg
    332.3 KB · Views: 1,396
Here are copies of another manual.

Attachments

• Energy Harvester info cover & pg 1.jpg
    Energy Harvester info cover & pg 1.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 1,167
  • Energy Harvester info pgs 2&3.jpg
    Energy Harvester info pgs 2&3.jpg
    384.7 KB · Views: 1,108
  • Energy Harvester info pgs 4&5.jpg
    Energy Harvester info pgs 4&5.jpg
    331 KB · Views: 1,018
  • Energy Harvester info pgs 6&7.jpg
    Energy Harvester info pgs 6&7.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 1,226
  • Energy Harvester info pgs 8&9.jpg
    Energy Harvester info pgs 8&9.jpg
    316.7 KB · Views: 1,043
  • Eneregy Harvester info pgs 10&11.jpg
    Eneregy Harvester info pgs 10&11.jpg
    367.8 KB · Views: 974
Hello all
I know that this is an old thread I hope you do not mind my posting here. I found this forum while I was researching information about my Grandfather. My Grandfather was The Energy Harvester "Cast Iron Foundryman" Richard W. Peterson. Sadly he passed away from cancer in 2008 at the age of 71. I am trying to find out as much information as I can about him while he owned the Orange, MA foundry. If anyone has any more information at all about my Grandfather or his Energy Harvester the younger generations of our family would like to know as much as we can. Our Grandfather was a great man and strived to excel in all he did, this is now more evident after reading the many comments here about the quality and longevity of his wood stove. I saw that there was an old magazine advert for his stove on here but I think due to low bandwidth the photo itself is of relatively low quality and I was hoping that someone might have this old advert or any others and could make high res scans so we can reproduce them to keep in our family we would be immensely thankful.
For anyone that wants to know more information about “The Cast Iron Foundryman”: Prior to his being the Owner of the Orange Foundry he was a US Marine after graduating from Valley Forge Military Academy. He also attended Rutgers. After working for our family business Continental Electric in NJ he entered the foundry business then moving on to do many other things that include: Yacht broker in Annapolis a coach for The Naval Academy sailing team he also completed one of his life dreams when he sailed around the world solo, he also took part in many catamaran races around the island of St. Croix, where he moved in the 80’s He was truly a man that lived his life to the fullest every day. Thank you all for taking the time to read this and for any information you can pass along to me. Have a blessed day. -TC

Wow, that's great information on the Foundryman!

I didn't even know he was the real owner - it was a great ad!

I can tell you this much. Myself and some of my peers thought that being a "Foundryman" was perhaps the highest calling in the land...it was somewhat a reaction to the 60's and 70's (the "me" generations and the hippies) that we thought it great that people still made things.

I guess in some ways this foresaw the modern "maker" movement, where people are now very proud of creating actual hard goods.

Small world - I went to Valley Forge Military and my daughter graduated from Rutgers.

Your grandfather sounds like a citizen that many of us aspire to be.

EDIT: I will dig around for a better copy of an ad.

Attachments

• eharverst1.jpg
    eharverst1.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 994
Last edited:
Reactions: TheHarvester
WOW these are awsome Thank you soo much my mom had told me that they made a presidential one but it was not as popular... I had never seen it till now. The link on the first one does not seem to work. Is it the same resolution as the attached photo or does it match the eharvest3 because 3 is amazing I can probably make a larger print of that for my wall.

I think there might be a few of these wood stoves in my family so one day I hope to have my own and pass it on.

Yes, he is the real deal and never the type to not be involved in the whole process. I can only hope to have the sucess and achieve as many goals.

When where you at Valley Forge? I also attended from 2001-2005 I also swore (while I was there) that I would not join the military but here I am sitting on an Aircraft carrier heading on my own trip around he world.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post it really means a lot :)

I fixed the URL.....for the first image.
I also put them both here....
https://www.hearth.com/talk/wiki/energy-harvesters/

Click the attachment page....

I'm just a wee bit older than you! I was at VFMA in about 1966....and I swore I would never go into the military afterwards and kept to my word......just saw too many abuses of the cadets by other cadets to suit my independent streak. However, I learned discipline as well as many things about human nature. I was just 14 years old when I went!

Small world - two of our moderators hung out on carriers - @fossil and @Jags That was also before you were....well, before you were a spark in the cast iron foundry man's eye.
:cool:

WOW these are awsome Thank you soo much my mom had told me that they made a presidential one but it was not as popular... I had never seen it till now. The link on the first one does not seem to work. Is it the same resolution as the attached photo or does it match the eharvest3 because 3 is amazing I can probably make a larger print of that for my wall.

I think there might be a few of these wood stoves in my family so one day I hope to have my own and pass it on.

Yes, he is the real deal and never the type to not be involved in the whole process. I can only hope to have the sucess and achieve as many goals.

When where you at Valley Forge? I also attended from 2001-2005 I also swore (while I was there) that I would not join the military but here I am sitting on an Aircraft carrier heading on my own trip around he world.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post it really means a lot :)
I have an Energy Harvesters wood stove in my house that I do not want any longer. I was doing some research online about the stove and came across your post. Do you have any interest in the wood stove? It is the one with the trees on the sides. Thank you.

Hello, Im thinking about getting one of these to install in a small cabin of mine. Just wanna make sure it's a good stove. They are asking $300 for it, is that a fair price? Any recommendations on them? How much space can they heat? Can the top be used for cooking purposes(mainly just boiling water)?
Thanks again!

I was the sales manager for Energy Harvesters for much of their glory years. Good to see most users are still loving the stove. A few things of interest: The stove was made at the Orange Foundry in Orange MA. Fitzwilliam is where owner Richard Peterson lived. He owned the foundry and the stove company. We had a little store in Fitzwilliam. Customers loved saving the sales tax. We also sold the stove to dealers across the country. In the early years we had national recognition. I believe that other then Vermont Casings we were the only US produced cast iron stove. VC had a better vision and financing. EH was sold and pretty much ruined. We were one of the first stoves to offer the Corning catylitic converter. I toured the country with them showing it off. It was a great option in the early EPA years. As far as I recall there were less then 100 produced but it was a great improvement and easy to operate. I would be glad to attempt to answer any questions form current owners. Keep in mind that it was going on 30 years ago so my information is limited

Rendog
Hello we probably bought our EH from you!!! We were one of your first customers, we lived in Fitzwilliam, moved there in October of 1978, stupidly not understanding how wonderful a EH was we install forced hot water heating throughout our old farm house, then bought the EH, I think you were in a old gas station where the Old Fitzwilliam Rd. joined Rt 12? It's been 40 years though so I could be wrong, we loved that Mr. Peterson lived there and one of you explained to us everything and how much more efficient the EH was over a regular wood stove, I think we paid around 700.00?? which was a lot of money back then - but we heated our entire house with this stove. We burned about 10 cord of wood a year, it was a fairly good size farmhouse. Everyone who came to our house over the next 10 years could not believe how nice and warm our house was even in 20 below zero weather, I sold the house and moved to Florida, so left my beloved EH behind but it sure wasn't needed in Fl. I now live in France, and as I sit in front of a Godin Colonial Franklin style wood stove, telling my husband stories of the EH and how much more efficient it is over any of the wood stoves we have so far seen here and wishing I had my EH. We have just recently moved here and are house hunting, but I know we will be looking for a stove hopefully, as efficient as the EH was!!! PS I am sure we must have known each other.

Hello, Im thinking about getting one of these to install in a small cabin of mine. Just wanna make sure it's a good stove. They are asking $300 for it, is that a fair price? Any recommendations on them? How much space can they heat? Can the top be used for cooking purposes(mainly just boiling water)?
Thanks again!
Well I hope you got an EH, you will never have to burn it high to heat a little !! They are wonderful, we bought one of the first ones made back in 1978 and heated an entire farm house with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.