1994 Harman Invincible Insert - Won't shut down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Skid296

Mar 12, 2014
Maine
Hello,

Over the course of 2 weekends, my Harman Invincible insert began a 3 blink error message. It would reset after being unplugged for a few seconds, but would resume the error message hours after. This increased in frequency until it became a constant error signal. In one instance before the error was constant, the heat setting was blazing at level 6, and the distribution blower cut out. This left the stove VERY hot with no way to dissipate heat, so I cautiously watched as it slowly cooled down.

The next day it resumed mostly normal functioning while displaying the error message, but would occasionally die down to the minimum output until I toggled the settings to kind of “wake it up.”

Eventually, my stove consistently blinked the error message and would not respond to any controls. The auger, distribution and combustion blower would constantly run regardless of any feeder, heat or blower settings I chose. Even after unplugging for a full shutdown, the moment it is plugged in, the stove will return to full blower and auger operation with completely unresponsive controls.

I have performed a full cleaning of the stove, including the ESP.

This is no longer my primary source of heat, but here in Maine it is very useful to have two. I did slack on the cleaning since transitioning more toward oil heat, so the maintenance is not what it was when I was relying on it daily.

I absolutely love this stove, and it makes every weekend at home much, much more enjoyable. Any advice on what the problem may be would be appreciated. My first guess is a new board.

Thanks,

Steve

Sounds like the place to start is to replace the ESP

The ESP was shot in my Invincible when I got it, which made the auger motor fail to run except for the brief shut-down pulses every minute or so. But both blowers would run constantly as soon as I plugged in the stove. Once I replaced the ESP - quite a pricey little part if you can find one - the stove worked fine. So a bad ESP can definitely cause the stove to display some erratic behavior.

The boards on these stoves are known to short out where the smaller expansion board connects to the main board, Mine did so a few years ago which resulted in it being completely dead. It's possible yours could be displaying early signs of this type of failure, but mine gave no warning before shorting out other than a burning plastic smell. You could inspect this area of your board closely for any signs of scorching.