1st real burn Hearthstone Clydesdale Pic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
bren582 said:
One of the nice things about silicone is that it's pretty easy to remove. I have found that if you run a nice sharp razor knife along the bead edge's to free it up a bit and grab an end it comes off pretty cleanly, Almost peels off like tape. I think the problem you might encounter is the degree that the silicone worked its way into the gasket material. Worst case is you might have to buy new gasket rope but the stuff is pretty cheap. You can always give it a shot and see. The imperial gasket cement i purchased through my dealer from Hearthstone is a 2 OZ bottle which I would imagine is enough to do a dozen or so gasket replacements as a little goes a long way..

Unfortunately, my local dealer is the one who sold me the silicone. When I said gasket cement, told me he had no idea what I was talking about, and all his installers used the silicone. Lucky me. :)

There's another dealer about 30 miles from my house in case the other fireplace store doesn't have gasket cement.

Thanks for all the detail!

Where are my fellow Clydesdale owners positioning an exterior thermometer? My stove is mounted inside a fireplace, so I can't smack it on the flue. On the top of the stove (on the grate), I haven't gotten a reading higher than 250, even though I feel like I've got higher temps than that.

Hey Gents, a possible reason your door gasket is sticking to the front is your paint has not cured yet, it generally takes more than just one fire to cure the paint
properly, burn 4 or 5 smaller fires with cool down times in between, give a chance for that paint to cure. Happy burning :)

HighBurn said:
Hey Gents, a possible reason your door gasket is sticking to the front is your paint has not cured yet, it generally takes more than just one fire to cure the paint
properly, burn 4 or 5 smaller fires with cool down times in between, give a chance for that paint to cure. Happy burning :)

You are probably right - I have a different stove but Lopi recommended in the "first burn" part of the manual that you should leave the door ajar slightly during the first small burn to let the paint cure so it doesn't stick.

Pizzaman said:
When I said gasket cement, told me he had no idea what I was talking about, and all his installers used the silicone.

That is strange, to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.