2017-18 Blaze King Performance Thread (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks both for the help. I will be using it then.

Here is the separate instructions that came with my stove. Maybe they are instructions from the paint manufacturer?
If I have any questions webby3650, there is a wealth of knowledge here, and I can always pick up the phone and call the shop.:)
Yes, that's from the paint manufacturer.
Just PM me with any questions.

I love the stove, If I needed another stove I wouldn't even look at anything else. I painted the pipe myself, I'm not sure I used the best paint, you don't want to take painting advice from me...
Can I ask what paint you used. I have used Thurmalox before with pretty good luck. Yours looks awesome.

I dont know if BK changed any materials or process between my ashford 30.0 that had a break in procedure in the manual and all y'alls new 30.1s.

The break-in burns are primarily to cure the paint. The firebricks in a new stove probably have less moisture in them than the firebricks in a stove that has sat all summer in a humid climate attached to the chimney. My Chinook 30.1 came with break-in instructions. The paint manufacture says the out gassing is "non-toxic" but then goes on to warn pregnant mothers and youngsters! I believe it is toxic waste and, if I had a parrot in the house would not let him hang out in there until it had had a couple hot fires and had been vented. In any case, I think by burning gently some off-gassing is driven off at lower temps. Who knows what nastier chemicals higher temps right off the bat might create? Plus, it would all be released over a shorter period at which point it might be concentrated enough to be toxic.

The break-in burns are primarily to cure the paint. The firebricks in a new stove probably have less moisture in them than the firebricks in a stove that has sat all summer in a humid climate attached to the chimney. My Chinook 30.1 came with break-in instructions. The paint manufacture says the out gassing is "non-toxic" but then goes on to warn pregnant mothers and youngsters! I believe it is toxic waste and, if I had a parrot in the house would not let him hang out in there until it had had a couple hot fires and had been vented. In any case, I think by burning gently some off-gassing is driven off at lower temps. Who knows what nastier chemicals higher temps right off the bat might create? Plus, it would all be released over a shorter period at which point it might be concentrated enough to be toxic.

I'm definitely running my first couple of burns out in the driveway.

I'm definitely running my first couple of burns out in the driveway.
That would be fun. But it's not necessary, the burn off isn't all that bad with good ventilation. I've done it a dozen times or so in my house.

Reactions: Highbeam
Hey guys, I have a question. So I got a sirocco 30.1 installed in July from Hearth and homes in Calgary. I did a break in fire and left it all summer. Last night it was down to 40* and the house was down to 65, so I lit her up.

I followed the manual, let her burn on high for 30 min ect. I have a 16 foot straight shot of 6" class a insulated chimney. My wood is actually under 15% mc and burns fabulous. The stove on around 1.5 burnt all night and took the house from 65 to 70*. In the am I woke to a warm house but a sore throat and brutal headsache and a pungent stink of fire...

Being my first wood stove I thought " is this normal ? ". I reloaded, let burn ect set to 1.5 and went to work. I got home and the house was murky and putride with smoke. I kept thinking " sh!t maybe this wood burning business is not for me". Then I noticed the attached pics

I see creasote leaking from a weld, causing smoke to burn off externally. Ughhhhh, no wonder I have a headache and sore throat! Lol. This can't be normal can it? What do I do now?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    19.9 KB · Views: 351
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    18.6 KB · Views: 332
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    16.5 KB · Views: 327
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    29.4 KB · Views: 330
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    25.4 KB · Views: 347
Hey guys, I have a question. So I got a sirocco 30.1 installed in July from Hearth and homes in Calgary. I did a break in fire and left it all summer. Last night it was down to 40* and the house was down to 65, so I lit her up.

I followed the manual, let her burn on high for 30 min ect. I have a 16 foot straight shot of 6" class a insulated chimney. My wood is actually under 15% mc and burns fabulous. The stove on around 1.5 burnt all night and took the house from 65 to 70*. In the am I woke to a warm house but a sore throat and brutal headsache and a pungent stink of fire...

Being my first wood stove I thought " is this normal ? ". I reloaded, let burn ect set to 1.5 and went to work. I got home and the house was murky and putride with smoke. I kept thinking " sh!t maybe this wood burning business is not for me". Then I noticed the attached pics

I see creasote leaking from a weld, causing smoke to burn off externally. Ughhhhh, no wonder I have a headache and sore throat! Lol. This can't be normal can it? What do I do now?
Stop burning the stove, call your dealer immediately and also PM @BKVP

Now if only they'd take the next step and sell us stoves directly. I'd happily pay for an LTL truck to deliver the stove if it meant getting rid of the middleman. (Especially since the current model requires me to pay for an LTL truck plus a rediculous markup for a company that didn't do anything except call my order in after trying to talk me out of buying a BK.)

Can I ask what paint you used. I have used Thurmalox before with pretty good luck. Yours looks awesome.
I used Engine Enamel that's supposed to be good up to 500° (double wall pipe, BK low flue temps?), it's already kinda yellow after one fire ran mostly on low. I'm pretty sure I should have spent the extra $5 a can for stove paint... Like I said, don't ask me for painting advice!

I emailed my contact at the dealer at hearth and home in Calgary and unfortunately he's out of the office for the next week. haha

I let the load burn out on ~1.5 (P.S. I just numbered my thermostat like a picture of a older numbered unit) and while the odour was still present it did subside as the load burnt out which was to be expected.

The positive is the stove burnt one load of well seasoned aspen for almost 24hrs lol! It seemed to work great other then the leak and odour. :)

These things happen, its nothing to get too worked up about on my end. I'm tempted to drag my tig welder buddy over, pay him to squeeze his welding rig through the trees and close to my front door, then just tack this up where is stands.... but with warranty, paint matching, goober on welds over leaking welds on a 5K$ investment.... I will wait and see how things turn out with the dealer or BK in Penticton. :p

Reactions: Blazing

It's not normal to have that goo running down the stove. In your photo the weld is boogered up, like the welder fell asleep and blew a hole through the plate right where the leak starts.

Be careful about just letting the stove burn on high for 30 minutes before engaging the cat. You have a cat gauge for a reason. As soon as you can shut the loading door without snuffing the fire close the door and when the needle moves to "active" then engage the bypass. You can then let it burn on high for as long as you want but most of the time you can drop it down to your desired setting as soon as the cat is engaged to save your wood.

The more important issue is determining your low setting. You need to choose a low setting that prevents the cat gauge from falling below the active line. Do you know if your overnight burn at 1.5 resulted in the cat gauge falling too low? This would be referred to as stalling the cat and would cause lots of goo to be produced.

How do you know that your wood is at 15% MC? It is common to have some pretty ugly deposits low in the firebox but the top area around the cat usually stays nice and brown since the cat is so hot. Your goo dribbling down from the top leads me to think that you may have stalled the cat overnight. It still shouldn't leak out so you have a bad weld.

We had the same temperatures last night. 39 outside and 66 inside this morning. It won't be long before I also start my first fire of the season. I can't wait! This is my 6th year with the BK and I love it for our climate.

I'm going to be honest, I generalized on the 30 min on high thing.... the bypass is closed as soon as the cat probe hit the active zone. The cat probe never came remotely close to going inactive, cat was engaged and eating smoke the whole time with zero smoke exiting the chimney, and the cap is still visibly shiny new... I've burnt 1.5 stove loads of wood.... haha

Inside the box its dry and brown halfway up, as it can be seen in one pic, the glass even stayed 2/3 clear (expected it to go solid black from comments on here)

Like said, I'm kinda anal, and the stove worked flawlessly as advertised... other then that leak. :D

The wood was all cut at once, and multiple pieces were checked and ranged from 12- 16% mc in the center of a fresh split at around 70* temps. I was actually worried I had it too dry...

I found it weird that it leaked like this as like you said there is no creosote up high in the box? So I assume the smoke escaping cooled when exiting and created creosote as it would in a cold chimney. Once I noticed this I could visibly see smoke escaping when a flashlight illuminated that area.

We'll get her' figured :)

Last edited:
We'll get her' figured :)

With night time lows in the '30's, I hope it get "figured" sooner rather than later! I'm surprised that made it past QC. This isn't your fault so the real test will be how long it takes to make it right. I don't have much sympathy for picky consumers that can't be pleased but, obviously, this is about as far from that as possible!

I doubt the headache was due to that little hole. Much more likely your house wasn't vented sufficiently during burn-off (paint takes more than one/two short fire to completely cure). The other possibility is a bad flue install. Make sure that gets a good inspection.

I used Engine Enamel that's supposed to be good up to 500° (double wall pipe, BK low flue temps?), it's already kinda yellow after one fire ran mostly on low. I'm pretty sure I should have spent the extra $5 a can for stove paint... Like I said, don't ask me for painting advice!
Hahaha yea if I'm lucky enough to find the White Enamel stove I will probably go the Thurmalox route.

I doubt the headache was due to that little hole. Much more likely your house wasn't vented sufficiently during burn-off (paint takes more than one/two short fire to completely cure). The other possibility is a bad flue install. Make sure that gets a good inspection.

I would agree with that. Flue is great, draft is very noticeable even cold.

I even kind of assumed it was the paint curing until I saw the leak.

The odor was definitely predominantly smoke though, over the chemically smell of the first fire.

Let me know how it goes, I may be redoing it next summer!
I'll let you know if I get the White. Evidently it isn't available anymore...?

The odor was definitely predominantly smoke though, over the chemically smell of the first fire.

Can we see a pic of your stove pipe? It sounded like you said you had 16' of class A chimney. With no stove pipe? That wouldn't be typical.

That is probably going to stink worse than the stove the first time it gets real hot. I'd make sure it gets a good hot break in fire before you close the windows for the winter.

That is probably going to stink worse than the stove the first time it gets real hot. I'd make sure it gets a good hot break in fire before you close the windows for the winter.

It sounds like it'll take more than one hot fire to remove most of that engine enamel! I don't call that "breaking it in"!

~5'5 of double wall before the class a 6" chimney pipe...

ah but I see bends. Bends subtract from the effective chimney height. You might not meet spec for the scirroco.

I'm only at 12' but all vertical which met the spec for my princess.

Status
Not open for further replies.