2017-18 Blaze King Performance Thread (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks SuperJ. I'm not at the cottage now so I can't load the stove and try for a 24 hour burn. Mostly I have loaded the stove 2/3 full and reloaded after 12 hours. I am hoping someone with a probe thermometer will be able to comment on my flue temperatures.

Thanks for chiming in Highbeam. It's good to know my flue temps are typical. I'll try a full load and see how burn times compare next time we are in Temagami.

Does the ash tray come with a lid? No lid came with mine.

My ashford runs in the 200-300F range, according to the probe, during the shoulder season. It will take several hours from start-up to get down to those low temps. I do a 20-30 minute full bore load char then turn the stove down slowly across the span of 1-1/2 hours. This dries the wood, converts it to charcoal and drives out the volatiles preparing the wood for extremely low long burn. I am at the beginning of year 3 with the Ashford and have no creosote problems.

Dollar bill test the loading door, bypass hatch, and verify the ash plug is nicely seated. Sometimes a chunk of junk can prevent the bypass from fully seating. Check it with your fingers, no need for disassembly. Air leaks can prevent the flue temp from going down to the ~300F range. They can also "spoil" the thermostatic control.

Enjoy!

The lid is a piece of sheetmetal bent to fit over the ash pan that can be found sitting below the ash pan in the bottom of the drawer. It would be relatively easy to miss. I don't generally use mine though.

Reactions: Alpine1
After 2 years, found it! If I had used the pan, I would have seen it. I must have the "old style" ash pan as the plug hole and the back of the pan are in line. Thanks

Yep... that's it! Send BKVP a private message, and I'm sure he'll address it. Every company makes a mistake, here and there, it's what they do to fix it that counts.
Just to be clear, the original design of the ash drawer was safety tested and approved. There was no mistake. The design was improved upon and implemented as we always continue to try and improve our designs.

BKVP

Thanks for your input kf6hap. The lowest thermostat position I have used for an extended period is 3 o'clock. I'll try going lower on a warmer day to see whether the flue temperature drops to 300 or less.

Status
Not open for further replies.