2017-18 Blaze King Performance Thread (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a hole in it, smoke is visibly leaking from said hole.... there are no other issues guys.... hahaha

Local dealer said the BK guy will be in Monday. We'll see, they have pics, serial number ect.

when I get home from work I'm going to have a better look at it. I would hate to have a buddy weld it and it crack or something down the road.... we'll see.

Reactions: Marshy
There is a hole in it, smoke is visibly leaking from said hole.... there are no other issues guys.... hahaha

That's what doesn't make sense to me. Smoke visibly coming out of a hole. Because when the stove is burning, the flue should be warm and create a draft. The hole should be leaking air in, not pushing smoke out! And a foot long drip of creosote after two fires? That doesn't seem right either.

when I get home from work I'm going to have a better look at it. I would hate to have a buddy weld it and it crack or something down the road.... we'll see.

I wouldn't even consider that on a brand new stove.

Local dealer said the BK guy will be in Monday. We'll see, they have pics, serial number ect.

We have had 2 stoves over the years with a "skipped" weld. Depending on the situation, BK either replaces the stove, or hires a professional welder to do the repair and examine the other welds. Either way, they will take care of it. Sit tight..

Uhmmm... I'm not inclined to think that such short bends make a big difference in draft... that ugly weld is much more worse IMO... Ignerence says he has good draft, and the stove worked properly last year, I suppose with the same pipes.

Uhmmm... I'm not inclined to think that such short bends make a big difference in draft... that ugly weld is much more worse IMO... Ignerence says he has good draft, and the stove worked properly last year, I suppose with the same pipes.
The offsets make a tremendous difference in draft..
Also, It appears this is the first season for the stove.

The offsets make a tremendous difference in draft..
Also, It appears this is the first season for the stove.

Yep one or two fires did that. Smoke should be getting sucked in which is why we are looking at draft issues while waiting for the hole to be remedied. The ashfords want a strong draft.

Yep one or two fires did that. Smoke should be getting sucked in which is why we are looking at draft issues while waiting for the hole to be remedied. The ashfords want a strong draft.
I agree. Sirocco's too!
That being said, the liquid creosote makes me very suspicious of the moisture content.

Perhaps it's due to the moisture being driven out of the firebricks? Sounds plausible.

Took a better look wih it cooled down. The weld is just not over the seem, it runs to the right.

I can fit a tooth pic in it, and its a nice flat butt joint. So the welder just missed the mark.

I understand that it should suck air, not sure what to say. The stove works great. I looked in the chimney as you guys made me paranoid.... it looks perfect, light brown dust neer the top but barely enought to get my finger dirty. In the stove its black for the bottom half of the stove, and brown light and flaky around the cat and top half. The window is about 1/3 coated.

Grabbed a few splits from the pile.... 10-16 mc this check.

Draft in the cold stove sucks a papertowl up into the pipe...

It seems to purge smoke out the crack more vigorously at full tilt with a raging fire. Back it down low and it slows down. That seems the opposite to me as well.

I'm going to spark up another fire just to try getting a video.

After looking at it i know i can fix it as i have 100% found the leak. But i will wait for BK's answer.

Attachments

• IMG_6749.JPG
    IMG_6749.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_6750.JPG
    IMG_6750.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_6751.JPG
    IMG_6751.JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 235
Reactions: Ashful and Blazing
Took a better look wih it cooled down. The weld is just not over the seem, it runs to the right.

I can fit a tooth pic in it, and its a nice flat butt joint. So the welder just missed the mark.

I understand that it should suck air, not sure what to say. The stove works great. I looked in the chimney as you guys made me paranoid.... it looks perfect, light brown dust neer the top but barely enought to get my finger dirty. In the stove its black for the bottom half of the stove, and brown light and flaky around the cat and top half. The window is about 1/3 coated.

Grabbed a few splits from the pile.... 10-16 mc this check.

Draft in the cold stove sucks a papertowl up into the pipe...

It seems to purge smoke out the crack more vigorously at full tilt with a raging fire. Back it down low and it slows down. That seems the opposite to me as well.

I'm going to spark up another fire just to try getting a video.

After looking at it i know i can fix it as i have 100% found the leak. But i will wait for BK's answer.
Just to make sure, and this has nothing to do with the missed weld: the moisture meter reading was taken on a fresh split? Like seconds before the reading?

Unless you need the heat, I see no reason to run the stove for a video, it's obvious there's a problem.

So freshly split I was balancing my axe between my knees. Both the sbi and cheap Chinese moisture readers I have give the same readings.

Wood temp was about 70*

The run of creosote looks worse in the pics then real life

Reactions: Ashful
We're all just excited for the start of burning season and to start solving problems!

Reactions: lsucet
Put some foil tape on it, have a rager burning in her now! Lol No smell, no smoke.

Watching the smoke inside I did notice it eddies up above the air wash vents due to the fresh air rushing in and literally the smoke curls and runs into the front of the stove behind the airwash, over and over. This is right where the hole is.

Which makes sense why it literally streamed out when the stove was cranked up as the air flow was fast and the eddies were strong ramming into this area making a high pressure zone. Once turned down it gets a lot lazier.

If I was smarter I would use my CFD to explain this but hey! It's the weekend! Lol. Beer time

We're all just excited for the start of burning season and to start solving problems!
I will agree with you on this one. The excitement of start burning and can't do it cause temperatures still to high is depressing. Make you take it out on somebody else.lol

Reactions: Highbeam
Put some foil tape on it, have a rager burning in her now! Lol No smell, no smoke.

Watching the smoke inside I did notice it eddies up above the air wash vents due to the fresh air rushing in and literally the smoke curls and runs into the front of the stove behind the airwash, over and over. This is right where the hole is.

Which makes sense why it literally streamed out when the stove was cranked up as the air flow was fast and the eddies were strong ramming into this area making a high pressure zone. Once turned down it gets a lot lazier.

If I was smarter I would use my CFD to explain this but hey! It's the weekend! Lol. Beer time
I was thinking of suggesting that you finger some furnace cement over that seam.

It's been 75-80 and sunny for 2 weeks here. If Jose comes to see us, it looks like it will be 70s and very wet instead.

I am loving it but it's not much like mid/late september!

Greetings everybody. New guy here. I'm headed to the big city to buy a stove today. I've burned wood before ofcourse, but wood like to here how the bk princess burns dead standing, beatle kill, lodgepole burns for you? I have spent along time reading up on this website, but haven't found this answer.
My home is only 950 square feet, but not insulated worth a hoot. I will remodel in a few years, but as a home builder I don't have the time right now. I will burn alot of doug fir eventually. I live in montana, and will be burning for about 9 months of the year. I have customers with various stoves, but over the years those darn BK burners are almost always the woodstoves that never get upgraded. Some folks have had their quads stick open here and have their triple wall Class A pipes burn through. (Duravent). Thanks!

Reactions: Blazing
Right now I just have a old NG earth stove. I have a englander 24 fc in my garage, and a homemade, cobbled up stove in my sauna. My workshop is funnier yet

I should have mentioned that we may very well buy the Ashford 30 if the kids don't eat IHOP out of business, plus I may have sold my 77 earth stove from my shop for 500 bucks. I was just going to cut it up to make brackets

Cut it, split it, stack it, and tarp it for a summer, and dead standing pine should be lovely. Better if you can give it a year but dead pine dries out pretty fast.

If you can't dry it prior to using it, expect long startups, lower temps, and lower burn times than you see people talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.