2017-18 Blaze King Performance Thread (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok. Thank you. If I added a 3ft section do you think I would have to move or change the bracing?

Ok. Thank you. If I added a 3ft section do you think I would have to move or change the bracing?
If yours is adjustable you can go up a little. It should go every 5 feet.

when you add the 3ft section the bracing will need to be adjusted to the top most pipe, that offers the best strength, that brace should have a sliding extension piece in it, worse case scenario is that the brace gets extended to the max and it just below the last piece, it should still offer the good support, but in your case I think just by judging the pic that you'll have enough brace length to go up to the next length of class a. FYI, if you call your original installer, try to use his shotty work to get this done for free, explain to him that the install leaks and now you have to replace attic insulation and possibly stained sheet rock, plus you have stove rust from the drip. He should be more than happy to throw a section of pipe and adjust the support bracket.

Ya, I'm really on the fence about calling him. We've had a few conversations about the install and they haven't gone well. I'm almost glad I wasn't here on install day because I don't think I could read this forum as much from a cell. Lol. It was a last minute call the day they did it. It was scheduled a week later. Go figure. The worst part is, is that I let them talk me out of where we wanted the stove. It would of been on a different wall, almost dead center in the house and come out the roof right beside the peak.

I dont understand dealing with the ashes twice so I scoop them directly into an ash can sitting right beside the stove. Very easy to do if you move slowly and don't let the ashes drop through the air causing dust. Tilt the can and gently lay them in. Have two ash cans . Let one age for 7 days before dumping them back into the forest. Very little fly ash. Use the ash drawer to raise bread dough or bun warmer. Don't use it as firearm storage. It's the first place kids look into.

Reactions: Blazing
The worst part is, is that I let them talk me out of where we wanted the stove. It would of been on a different wall, almost dead center in the house and come out the roof right beside the peak.
Understandable. That would tick me off too. I also don't like seeing all that roofing tar slathered under and over the flashing either. The pipe should be braced at 5' past the roof exit. If the extension takes the pipe to 10' then there is supposed to be a second brace at the 10 ft level. Did they run a bead of silicone around the top edge of the storm collar? That's necessary to stop water dripping down the pipe.

You can add 3’ without redoing the bracing.
Honesty, I’d redo the flashing. It’s likely to always cause problems the way it’s installed.

Reactions: Ashful
In all honesty the tar is on me. About 2 weeks after the install we had massive amounts of rain and the water was pouring in. I mean pouring! As I said I hate heights but I went up and tarped everything I could We also had to tarp the stove inside and we had buckets everywhere. The drywall ceiling still looks a little worse for wear. Anyways, I had a neighbor offer to go up and un tarp everything and see what he could do. I wasn't quite expecting it to look like that but hey, I appreciated the effort and no water has come in from around the ceiling since. Do you think a chimney sweep that also installs might be a way to go to swap the flashing and add a section?

Is there a bead of silicone around the top edge of the storm collar?

Attachments

• 2017-18 Blaze King Performance Thread (Everything BK)
    Screenshot_20171102-214819.png
    209.3 KB · Views: 283
  • 2017-18 Blaze King Performance Thread (Everything BK)
    Screenshot_20171102-214737.png
    159 KB · Views: 256
I'm thinking that where it's fastened might be a spot of concern. Probably some water getting in there.

Reactions: webby3650
Well the first piece of the puzzle for the ashford 25 showed up today. Except my class a extension has a dent in it. Just waiting on the insert which is supposed to leave the factory on the 6th to the dealer then I can pick it up.

Have the damper removed and a block off plate made with roxul ready to go in. Smoke shelf is cleaned which I think never has been with all the leaves and needles rotting in there along with a kids toy. Just need to scrub a little around the shelf and block the ash dump and add durock to raise the floor to closer to level with the hearth. Hopefully be up and running in two weeks or less.

Should I add roxul around the insert too? Chimney is on an exterior wall.

2017-18 Blaze King Performance Thread (Everything BK) 2017-18 Blaze King Performance Thread (Everything BK)

Lopi Rockport

I'm thinking that where it's fastened might be a spot of concern. Probably some water getting in there.
Yes, that is a thin caulk seal all around and missing at the clamp.

Yep, very minimal sealant that’s untooled... completely lacking where the collar overlaps. The storm collar definitely needs resealed.

Is this a company that’s been around very long? This install looks like a complete amateur did it!

Reactions: Ashful
Well the first piece of the puzzle for the ashford 25 showed up today. Except my class a extension has a dent in it. Just waiting on the insert which is supposed to leave the factory on the 6th to the dealer then I can pick it up.

Have the damper removed and a block off plate made with roxul ready to go in. Smoke shelf is cleaned which I think never has been with all the leaves and needles rotting in there along with a kids toy. Just need to scrub a little around the shelf and block the ash dump and add durock to raise the floor to closer to level with the hearth. Hopefully be up and running in two weeks or less.

View attachment 215059 View attachment 215060

Lopi Rockport
That package should have been refused and reported as damaged. Not sure I'd use that chimney pipe.

Reactions: Marshy
Yep, very minimal sealant that’s untooled... completely lacking where the collar overlaps. The storm collar definitely needs resealed.

Is this a company that’s been around very long? This install looks like a complete amateur did it!
Makes me think every inch should be inspected including inside from the ceiling support to the roof.

View attachment 215059 View attachment 215060

Lopi Rockport
If you give that that dent a good thump with both hands on each side at the same time it will mostly pop out.
I would insulate around the insert with roxul if it’s an exterior fireplace.

That package should have been refused and reported as damaged. Not sure I'd use that chimney pipe.

I know but unfortunately it was delivered when I wasn’t home and fedex just dropped it off and never even knocked on the door cause the wife was home and never knew it was there. I have an email in to woodland to see about fixing the problem.

Lopi Rockport

If you give that that dent a good thump with both hands on each side at the same time it will mostly pop out.
I would insulate around the insert with roxul if it’s an exterior fireplace.

Just shove it in there or support it somehow? I’ll try to pop it out tomorrow and see if it works.

Lopi Rockport

Lol. 20 years they say. Owner is the salesman his brother is the installer.

Makes me think every inch should be inspected including inside from the ceiling support to the roof.

I'm thinking of calling a few chimney sweeps to get some quotes to fix this mess.

Just shove it in there or support it somehow? I’ll try to pop it out tomorrow and see if it works.

Lopi Rockport
I’d try to keep it from laying on the insert. Some wire would do good to hold it back.

Reactions: Tegbert
I know but unfortunately it was delivered when I wasn’t home and fedex just dropped it off and never even knocked on the door cause the wife was home and never knew it was there. I have an email in to woodland to see about fixing the problem.

Lopi Rockport
Dented pipe isn’t uncommon. If the dent pops out like I mentioned, then only a little cosmetic damage is left behind. If not then it should be replaced.

Weird. My stove was ordered in September 2017 and I had to wait for it until October so I don't think it's old stock. But maybe it sat in a warehouse somewhere and I drew the short straw. What are the differences between the 30 and 30.1?
There are ever so slight changes, mostly cosmetic, between the two designations.

I'll try to be brief in explanation. EPA issues certificates that are good for 5 years. Normally, after 5 years, manufacturers request "an extension" for another 5 years. However, the 30 was certified and the certificate would expire before the new NSPS was to take place. In a process of rule, known as "K" list, we made ever so slight changes allowing us to retest and hopefully get a new certificate good until after May 15, 2020. It back fired, because all stoves 4.5 gr/hr were "deemed qualified", which means grandfathered-in until May 2020. Yup, we wasted a ton $$ on that. That's why some have a .1. There internal change is proprietary so I cannot provide more detail.

All 30 and 30.1's are nearly identical...like .99999999%.

Enjoy.

Reactions: Brake
Dented pipe isn’t uncommon. If the dent pops out like I mentioned, then only a little cosmetic damage is left behind. If not then it should be replaced.

Well got an email back and they are shipping a new one out. Still might try and see if I can pop that out later and keep as a spare. So I highly recommend woodland direct after this experience.

Winter storm warning in effect. Load ‘er up!

View attachment 215090

Up here in Washington we had snow falling this morning while on my way to work.
2017-18 Blaze King Performance Thread (Everything BK)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Blazing
Status
Not open for further replies.