2017-18 Blaze King Performance Thread (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Durafoil stainless combustors get to temp quicker, in half the time it takes for ceramic.

Ceramic, having greater mass, hold temp longer.

As I posted earlier, manufacturers must use in production the combustor that is used in certification testing.

Prior to May 16, 2015, there was an EPA rule, referred to as applicable determination, AD138. This AD sunset with expiration of old NSPS. It permitted a combustor manufacturer to test their proposed "new" combustor in a vintage Princess 1002 cat stove, referred to as the reference model.

If the "new" combustor achieved the same or better results as the original Corning combustor that the 1002 was tested with, your "new" combustor was deemed qualified.

That entitled the "new" combustor manufacturer to sell it to all cat stove manufacturers.

On behalf of all manufacturers, I worked with EPA to get an updated rule.

At the time of certification of a catalytic wood stove, you may now test a second combustor. The requirements are EXTREMELY difficult to pass and get qualified status, but we will test and pass!

Interesting.

Have you ever seen a "dual-layer" combustor? The upstream layer could have a mesh 4 times as large as the downstream layer. This could lead to faster light-off and control peak temperatures in the downstream section by partially burning the gases first.

Are all SS combustors basically the same? Or do some have different alloys used in the substrates, different methods of depositing the catalysts and different formulas for the coatings?

Thanks!

Curious to know how dry @Ashful 's wood is. I havent had any trouble with fly ash on the steel cats in my ashford as long as fuel mc was 12% or greater per handheld doohickey.

Guys I am getting my Princess ready for the season and was wondering what you guys used to lube the discs? Thanks in advance

Guys I am getting my Princess ready for the season and was wondering what you guys used to lube the discs? Thanks in advance

Copper antisieze. Holds up the best of the various lubes I've tried.

Copper antisieze. Holds up the best of the various lubes I've tried.
You use the spray or the tube stuff? just curious as I have both.

Interesting.

Have you ever seen a "dual-layer" combustor? The upstream layer could have a mesh 4 times as large as the downstream layer. This could lead to faster light-off and control peak temperatures in the downstream section by partially burning the gases first.

Are all SS combustors basically the same? Or do some have different alloys used in the substrates, different methods of depositing the catalysts and different formulas for the coatings?

Thanks!
I've seen powered catalyst, about $1000.00 each. No the stainless steel substrates are not the same. Diesel foil in particular is crap in wood stoves. Expansion and contraction attributes are not suitable and they don't handle higher temps well at all.

Curious to know how dry @Ashful 's wood is. I havent had any trouble with fly ash on the steel cats in my ashford as long as fuel mc was 12% or greater per handheld doohickey.

Good question. It's been a few years since I checked, but I'm pretty sure it's not that dry. Oak and ash, split and stacked outdoors 3 years, then top-covered in fall of the year it will be used. I can dig out the old MM and check some this winter, but I'm expecting high teens MC%.

I remember others having this issue with their Ashfords, before it happened to me. Maybe it is a sign the cats are near end of life, but they only have two seasons on each, and one sees half as much wood volume as the other.

Last edited:
Cleaned the pipe on my BK Princess for the first time today with the new to me SootEater.I was pleasantly surprised to only get 1-1.5 coffee cups out of it! I really didn't need to clean it but had to check for my piece of mind.I burned almost straight well seasoned burr oak with the occasional elm and a splattering of hedge...wish I had a lot more of that hedge!

I've seen powered catalyst, about $1000.00 each. No the stainless steel substrates are not the same. Diesel foil in particular is crap in wood stoves. Expansion and contraction attributes are not suitable and they don't handle higher temps well at all.

Are Diesel Foil cats still sold for woodstoves? I couldn't find any.

Did prices jump on BK's since last year? I called my local dealer to get a price on an Ashford insert. It was like $4000. Does that seem right?

Good question. It's been a few years since I checked, but I'm pretty sure it's not that dry. Oak and ash, split and stacked outdoors 3 years, then top-covered in fall of the year it will be used. I can dig out the old MM and check some this winter, but I'm expecting high teens MC%.

I remember others having this issue with their Ashfords, before it happened to me. Maybe it is a sign the cats are near end of life, but they only have two seasons on each, and one sees half as much wood volume as the other.
Ashful,

Curiosity on my behalf to your comment. We (I) haven't heard of this being an issue with the Ashfords.

The AF30's are the exact same firebox, cat etc as Chinook and Sirocco 30's and have yet to hear the same for these two models.

Take some pictures next time before cleaning and pm them to me please. Also, do you have the ability to thermocouple your stove in a few locations if I send the meter?

BKVP

Did prices jump on BK's since last year? I called my local dealer to get a price on an Ashford insert. It was like $4000. Does that seem right?
There were no price increases from 2016 to this year.

Cleaned the pipe on my BK Princess for the first time today with the new to me SootEater.I was pleasantly surprised to only get 1-1.5 coffee cups out of it! I really didn't need to clean it but had to check for my piece of mind.I burned almost straight well seasoned burr oak with the occasional elm and a splattering of hedge...wish I had a lot more of that hedge!
Good job burning your stove correctly and burning dry fuel...

There were no price increases from 2016 to this year.
I'm not sure you can speak to pricing but that is so much more than I paid for my Sirocco 30 less than a year ago. Do the inserts tend to be quite a bit more? (again, apologies if this isn't appropriate)

I'm not sure you can speak to pricing but that is so much more than I paid for my Sirocco 30 less than a year ago. Do the inserts tend to be quite a bit more? (again, apologies if this isn't appropriate)
The castings and getting them from Europe are more costly for certain. Your Sirocco only has a cast door.

Check out this UK company venting. No need for 90's any more! I'd like to see the wall thimble as well.
20170831_054125.jpg

Has anyone ever installed a BK with a 7" flue? If so, which one? I know 6" is recommended for most models, and 8" for the King, but I've got an Earth stove that needs replaced that has a lot of existing 7" class A in good shape. I'd hate to buy a bunch of new chimney.

With three summers on it your stack should be at EMC, probably 12-20% in conus outside arizona.

If you can come up with your average temp and humidity for aug 17 i bet your stacks will be within a point or two of that emc.

Are Diesel Foil cats still sold for woodstoves? I couldn't find any.

The Condar cats I bought for my Jotuls in 2012 - 2013 were both Diesel Foil.

Ashful,

Curiosity on my behalf to your comment. We (I) haven't heard of this being an issue with the Ashfords.

The AF30's are the exact same firebox, cat etc as Chinook and Sirocco 30's and have yet to hear the same for these two models.

Take some pictures next time before cleaning and pm them to me please. Also, do you have the ability to thermocouple your stove in a few locations if I send the meter?

BKVP
Good to know, and you're right, I don't remember ever seeing anyone reporting this issue on a Chinook or Sirocco, in years' past. However, I do recall at least one (I thought more) other Ashford owners having the same issue. I will see if I can locate those posts.

I have two dual-channel K-type thermocouple meters, and can probably scare up four general-purpose thermocouples. I might just need some hot tape, depending on where you want me to stick 'em!

Check out this UK company venting. No need for 90's any more! I'd like to see the wall thimble as well.

That's very cool! But why do I feel woodstove flue technology has just gone from 1950 to 1970? ;em

They look like they will actually work. I thought they depicted chimney fires until I realized it was just a reflection! ;lol

With three summers on it your stack should be at EMC, probably 12-20% in conus outside arizona.

Continental U.S. outside of Arizona? If I stacked oak and elm outside in the rain here in Glacier, WA for 3 years it would have mushrooms growing out of it and starting to rot. It's a frickin' rain forest. That said, it hasn't rained here for 80 days, all the old records have been decimated. This record breaking dry spell came on the heels of one of the longest, darkest, coldest and snowiest winters ever. I'm 54 and have never seen anything like it. My weather app is telling me it's supposed to be 104F tomorrow with a night time low of 86F! Today it hit 101F in the shade on my deck.

Something strange is going on with the weather.:confused:

For those of you in the PNW, I will be working at the Evergreen State Fair with our dealer Aqua Rec. The dates I will be there are September 15th and 16th. If any BK owners are in the area, stop in and say hello. I've already met several Hearth members. BeGreen, it would be cool to see you again. If time permits, I'll even buy you a quick something to eat and drink...

BKVP

Reactions: Marshy
For those of you in the PNW, I will be working at the Evergreen State Fair with our dealer Aqua Rec. The dates I will be there are September 15th and 16th. If any BK owners are in the area, stop in and say hello. I've already met several Hearth members. BeGreen, it would be cool to see you again. If time permits, I'll even buy you a quick something to eat and drink...

BKVP

What's the event? It looks like the State Fair ended yesterday. I see there is horse jumping scheduled and a clothing consignment event on the 15/16th.

You use the spray or the tube stuff? just curious as I have both.

I used the grease/paste. It's thick stuff and needs to stay put as much as possible in the heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.