2017-18 Blaze King Performance Thread PART 2 (Everything BK)

webfish Posted By webfish, Nov 13, 2017 at 9:52 AM

1. jdonna

jdonna
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Dec 16, 2008
    Loc:
    mn
    Mine's running at 3 to 4 o clock. New stove and cat. I'm sure you could have 3 of the same type of probe and each one would read a little bit differently, its a ball park gauge in my opinion.

I'm very much liking that the probe is right there where you can see it. My last stove I had it on the backside of the stove and not as close in the cat exhaust stream.

webby3650 likes this.
  2. webby3650

webby3650
    Master of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 2, 2008
    Loc:
    Indiana
    So does mine.
    The area that is affected is the exposed probe shaft between the stove top and the iron top. Only an Ashford concern here.

3. webby3650

webby3650
    Master of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 2, 2008
    Loc:
    Indiana
    Some even expect you to drill your own hole in the back of the stove for the probe! BK has the right idea! Front and center!

4. Ashful

Ashful
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Philadelphia
    My Jotuls were this way. Probe was hiding behind the stove, such that it would be impossible to read a mechanical gauge. Stupid design, but resolved with a thermocouple meter.

5. Poindexter

Poindexter
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jun 28, 2014
    Loc:
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    @webby3650 , if my fuel is over 16% i run a measured 30 minutes at full throttle before i dial it down. In the 12 to 16% sweet spot, 20 minutes by the timer in my phone.

6. Poindexter

Poindexter
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jun 28, 2014
    Loc:
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Am i a moron for sliding some ashes through the hole in the floor of my A30 while i got some hot coals pushed to the back of the box?

I got some really short hairs on my wrists from doing this, but i cant see that i am really hurting the stove by keeping my ash bed in the zone during continuous operation.

7. Ashful

Ashful
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Philadelphia
    What else is one to do, Poindexter? I found a cast iron drain grate that fits the ash plug hole in my A30, which I can drop in there to guarantee coal retention, but the gaps between the slats in it are a tad tight. Been meaning to open them up for two years!

BTW, a moron would rake the coals to the front first, like I have done a few times.

8. BKVP

BKVP
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 10, 2011
    Loc:
    Walla Walla Washington
    Yes, soft ones...not like the guy who used a gun cleaning brush made of brass wire.

Yesak, Alpine1 and Highbeam like this.
  9. kf6hap

kf6hap
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Jan 15, 2016
    Loc:
    Nevada City,Ca.
    Chucking a pipe cleaner into a drill might not be a good idea either. Ok for copper pipes though.

10. shoot-straight

shoot-straight
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Jan 5, 2012
    Loc:
    Kennedyville, MD
    I do the same. Probe will usually go to about 12.

11. kf6hap

kf6hap
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Jan 15, 2016
    Loc:
    Nevada City,Ca.
    I don't think where the indicator needle goes, as long as it is in the "active" region, is of any negative consequence. It may exceed the high end for a while with a new cat but that won't hurt it. Don't operate the stove trying to keep it in a particular area. Just set the thermostat to your heating needs. Yes, a BK is that easy. This is very unlike other stoves. Babysitting not required.

The cat thermometer has no increments because they are not needed and might cause confusion. I guess the thermometer is calibrated at the "active" point. Other positions on the thermometer might not correspond closely, temperature wise, with other thermometers.

12. kennyp2339

kennyp2339
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 16, 2014
    Loc:
    Nailed it!!! If your stove is in good operating condition (good door gaskets & fully functioning t-stat) then there is no way to over fire the cat past the 1800 deg f mark, since the stove really cant over fire then stove top temps aren't really needed either, you just need to know that the cat is within its minimum to be active, the rest is done by your body feeling, are you cold? turn stove up, are you to hot? turn stove down. BK's are extremely user friendly, that's why I shake my head when someone says I don't want the complications of a cat stove.

Alpine1 likes this.
  13. kf6hap

kf6hap
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Jan 15, 2016
    Loc:
    Nevada City,Ca.
    Some straight damper stoves have to be fiddled with and babysat a lot to avoid being too hot or cold.

Working in HVAC, I used to replace thermostat covers with ones that had no thermometer built in. Warmer to the right, cooler to the left. No marks. All the arguments went away.

BKVP likes this.
  14. Highbeam

Highbeam
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 28, 2006
    Loc:
    Mt. Rainier Foothills, WA
    This is the story of the swoosh. One day, your oven won’t have temperature settings either. Maybe just little pizza icons, potatoe icons, etc. Or maybe things will have numbers but be very accurate and precise numbers.

15. Alpine1

Alpine1
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Apr 27, 2017
    Loc:
    Eastern Alps, Italy
    I am new to cat stoves (as most Europeans are...) but always thought that the cat indicator was just that: an indicator. Is it in the active zone? All is well. Is it inactive? Time to start a new fire. Is it barely active? Go with a fresh load, burn half an hour on high and set the t-stat wherever you want. Very simple and effective, very user friendly and very alien technology

Highbeam likes this.
  16. kf6hap

kf6hap
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Jan 15, 2016
    Loc:
    Nevada City,Ca.
    I always wondered why the Germans didn't come up with a BK-like stove, or have they?

17. Alpine1

Alpine1
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Apr 27, 2017
    Loc:
    Eastern Alps, Italy
    Not yet. Neither the Italians nor the French , Dutch or almost any other European stove manufacturer. Believe it or not, Jotul cat stoves aren’t available on the European market. Old mentality I think... we tend to believe a wood stove is a once in a lifetime purchase, with no expense during its lifespan. Think of masonry mass stoves (very common where I live)... Maybe the fact that sooner or later you have to buy a new cat scares the vast majority of wood burners here... BKVP knows better for sure as even BK stoves have only one dealer in Europe that I know of... the guy who sold me my beloved Ashford

18. BKVP

BKVP
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 10, 2011
    Loc:
    Walla Walla Washington
    I was waiting for you.....

Ashful and Highbeam like this.
  19. jdonna

jdonna
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Dec 16, 2008
    Loc:
    mn
    I'd love some input from experienced BK princess owners on a cliff's note short cut on what's a good full load procedure on hot coals.

I've got a very hard drafting chimney, so I have to adjust slightly from what the owners manual states.

Thanks!

20. BKVP

BKVP
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 10, 2011
    Loc:
    Walla Walla Washington
    As you all probably already know, I am German. Mother from Wiesbaden and my father's grandparents frolm former Prussia.

In my travels overseas I found a few cat stoves on retail showroom floors. Typically they refer to the combustor as a "filter. The sales staff don't even see it as a participate converter. Again, they see it as and refer to it as a filter.

21. Alpine1

Alpine1
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Apr 27, 2017
    Loc:
    Eastern Alps, Italy
    There’s a retailer in my small town, he never even heard of cat stoves before I explained him how they work... if allowed by the forum, and just out of curiosity, can you name some European cat stoves brand BKVP? In more than 1 year searching on the web, the only cat stoves I’v Been able to find were either from Canada or the USA

22. BKVP

BKVP
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 10, 2011
    Loc:
    Walla Walla Washington
    I'm boarding a flight...look up "Twin Fire wood stove". Are you in Germany?

23. Alpine1

Alpine1
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Apr 27, 2017
    Loc:
    Eastern Alps, Italy
    Nope, Italy ... but not far from the Austrian border. Thanks for your reply and have a nice trip!

24. kf6hap

kf6hap
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Jan 15, 2016
    Loc:
    Nevada City,Ca.
    The cost of a cat is a negative number.

25. Alpine1

Alpine1
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Apr 27, 2017
    Loc:
    Eastern Alps, Italy
    Do you mean that with the wood saved with a cat stove the price of a new cat is paid twice a year? I know, now try to convince a few millions obtuse Europeans lol