2017-18 Blaze King Performance Thread PART 2 (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I sure would like to see an ashford 30 in action. Anyone here in Michigan have one going? ILL show you mine if you show me yours?

Reactions: webby3650
Loaded up the garage rack from the shed, some far I officially burnt 2 full cords. I'm really happy considering we had a pretty good cold snap these past couple weeks and I've been chugging along at 70 inside, with no oil used for heat. If this was a air tube stove I'd prob be 3 cord in easy.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder..the simplicity of my Princess is a beautiful thing...the incredible burns times are a beautiful thing...staying as warm as we want is a beautiful thing...not buying propane is a beautiful thing...I find nothing ugly about my little Princess...

It really does grow on you and the ultra model is a large step more normal looking than the parlor/classic.

I don't even understand all the 'ugly princess' stuff. What does it need to be beautiful? A star-shaped window? Chrome racing stripes? Sparkly crud glued all over it?

Then again, I get 'normal' aesthetics backwards in almost any context, though my wife does make occasional doomed efforts to train me.

Reactions: becasunshine
I'm damn fortunate. My wife likes the look of the Princess(es). That's a good thing because I didn't really give her any options.

Problem solved.

If anyone wants to give away their "ugly" Princess (stove, not wife)...let me know. ;-)

Last edited:
I'm lucky wifewise too.. she thought the stove was ugly... until the first winter. She thought the beat up old plow truck was ugly... until the first time she couldn't drive her car up the hill to the house. She can be shown the functional beauty of things!

Reactions: Ashful and Tar12
I am thoroughly convinced that a princess would do a better job in my setup compared to my ashford.

Amazing that BK doesn't produce a more eye pleasing version of the princess with all the unattractive talk about them. I really like the more classic look, so the other more modern all steel versions of the 30 box aren't appealing to me either.

Reactions: Ashful
Loaded up the garage rack from the shed, some far I officially burnt 2 full cords. I'm really happy considering we had a pretty good cold snap these past couple weeks and I've been chugging along at 70 inside, with no oil used for heat. If this was a air tube stove I'd prob be 3 cord in easy.
You would have used 50% more wood by now??

My wife knows little about the idiosyncrasies of wood burning..but was ready to shoot me the day of the install 2 years ago..it was the coldest day we had ever encountered here with vicious driving winds...all heat was sucked out of this house this day to its very core...it took the better part of a day to get the house warmed backed up....due in large part to my inexperience with a cat stove and not wanting to screw up...:) Highbeam got more than one PM..;) Fast forward to present day and I can run you out of the house in short order and my wifes faith has been restored...:)

Are you running fans on the Ashfords or relying on natural convection?

Running fans. I find that, even on their lowest setting, they make an enormous difference in the performance of the stove in my house. I find myself turning them up a little more over time, as I appreciate their ability to move hot air more and more, and become less afflicted by their sound.

Running fans. I find that, even on their lowest setting, they make an enormous difference in the performance of the stove in my house. I find myself turning them up a little more over time, as I appreciate their ability to move hot air more and more, and become less afflicted by their sound.
Same here...they sure sounded sweet on those -30 mornings!

I am thoroughly convinced that a princess would do a better job in my setup compared to my ashford.

Amazing that BK doesn't produce a more eye pleasing version of the princess with all the unattractive talk about them. I really like the more classic look, so the other more modern all steel versions of the 30 box aren't appealing to me either.

I suspect the sirroco is bk’s attempt at a more attractive princess.

How about cladding the Princess into an Princess Ashford? 650 pounds of iron. Talk about even heat.

Radiant or Convective stove? It all depends on your situation and liking. A radiative stove in a concrete or stone lined basement looses a lot of heat to the walls heating the earth around the house. A convective stove tends to not scorch out the stove room and heat adjacent rooms a bit better. All stoves have both types of heat but in different ratios. My stove is "aimed" diagonally into a rectangular room. This shoots the very pleasant radiant heat directly at me whilst slouching in the couch observing the idiot box. Radiant heat is squirts out of the stove like light. Convective heat is like hot air blowing from a furnace register. Only cheaper.

In terms of decibels, how do you rate low and high.
One of the members compared:
Low - a fridge
High - a hair blow dryer

Would you agreed?

My ashford fan on high is nowhere near a hairdryer. It's noticable of course. No comparison though

Edit- just downloaded a sound app. Will measure both when I get home tomorrow.

Last edited:
My ashford fan on high is nowhere near a hairdryer. It's noticable of course. No comparison though

Edit- just downloaded a sound app. Will measure both when I get home tomorrow.

Decibels are funny. Stay the same distance from the source.

Let me tell you why. There are hundred of thousands of old "ugly" Princess and King's in use, we made them since 1977. Every day, every single day, I speak with folks looking for a stove just like the one there grandpa had back in the early 1960's. They swear gramps and grams had a Blaze King. For once, I remain silent!

We've talked of changing the two with dealers and consumers. All those hundreds of thousands of Princesses and King are wearing out. And for some reason, the buyer wants the same stove for their new stove. Again, just remain silent.

Now, let's talk beautiful...For sale 1965 Chevelle. Prostreet, frame off, 540 cu inch Merlin with AFR 335 Heads, all roller assembly. A different kind of Princess!

1965_Malibu_03.JPG 1965_Malibu_03.JPG Enginebay.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder for sure Chris. That is a beautiful car. I'm sure most will agree. For some function outweighs form. Others feel opposite. I hate brussel sprouts, some love them.

I'm sure your marketing has already shown what is viewed as a "prettier" stove (ashford) can do when their is a need. That's was my point.

Reactions: Ashful and BKVP
Status
Not open for further replies.