2018-19 Blaze King Performance Thread Part 2 (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think your spoofing everyone anyway, No one trades in a BK for a Home Depot Stove

I think I'm done with the princess, these cats are a pain in the butt.
I ordered a new cat during the weekend, just received it in the mail, the company sent the wrong one, we're suppose to have a major storm here in 2 days followed up by some pretty rough arctic air, well I'm between a rock and a hard place here, a position that I don't like being in and I refuse to be in, so rather then wait a 2 weeks (turn around time, the company wont ship the new proper sized cat until they receive the other one sent in error back) I'll be going to HD and buying a nc30, (I know it can do the heating job)
So craigslist the princess goes. Good luck BK'ers it was a fun 4.5 seasons.

That's a very strange story.

How did you wind up with an emergency need for a next-day cat? Last friday you posted how happy you were with the stove.

Mild weather. 24 hour burns. My wife and I went to a local stove store to look at furniture. She bought a chair. I checked out the stoves. Not a one in the store can actually provide usable heat then relight, cat active, after 24 hours.

Mild weather. 24 hour burns. My wife and I went to a local stove store to look at furniture. She bought a chair. I checked out the stoves. Not a one in the store can actually provide usable heat then relight, cat active, after 24 hours.

So how many stand alone stoves can compete with BK Kings or Princesses I’m burn time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

None to my knowledge. Blaze King is king! To clarify, I could have reloaded perhaps 2 hours later but I refill the stove just after the news every day for my convenience. Mostly oak, all smaller splits as I cut and burn the same year. Packed quite full, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: darktower007
Burn time is a very ambiguous thing.

I ordered a new cat during the weekend, just received it in the mail, the company sent the wrong one, we're suppose to have a major storm here in 2 days followed up by some pretty rough arctic air, well I'm between a rock and a hard place here, a position that I don't like being in and I refuse to be in, so rather then wait a 2 weeks (turn around time, the company wont ship the new proper sized cat until they receive the other one sent in error back) I'll be going to HD and buying a nc30, (I know it can do the heating job)
Bummer, Kenny! The old cat can't get you thru the next few days? What happened to it?

If you do the NC30, you know you're going to be itching to get back to the Princess after a season without it, right?

Reactions: AlbergSteve
Burn time is a very ambiguous thing.

Cat active time seems easy to use. People that reload before they’ve burned up the previous load are not getting a maximum burn time data point. Not even a maximum burn time at a particular output data point.

Like range of a car. You can fill up your gas tank every 10 miles but your range is way more than 10 miles!

Reactions: lsucet
This is a huge bummer. Even the old Buck smoke dragons had an automatic thermostat that when up to temp... it kicked on. Wish they would add the feature or a way for homeowners to modify it.

My 2012 princess has a fan system from bk that turns off and on with temperature automatically. New models lost that feature.

I get it and understand it. But for many burners as the room temperature starts to drop it is time to reload. That would be the def. of burn time for them.

The nc30 can make heat! Gobbles up wood like mad though.

I suppose this is a lesson for us all to get a spare cat. Unless it’s actually plugged your old cat will probably do fine with the stove cranked up while you wait for the new one.

Too bad you don’t live closer. I would be happy to trade you my nc30 for your princess.

I get it and understand it. But for many burners as the room temperature starts to drop it is time to reload. That would be the def. of burn time for them.

Sometimes when your heat demand is very high you’ve got to do that near the end. Coal buildup becomes a problem right about the same time.

When in a normal situation with a properly sized stove the thermostat automatically turns up the stove to maintain the desired output pretty darn well.

Bummer, Kenny! The old cat can't get you thru the next few days? What happened to it?

If you do the NC30, you know you're going to be itching to get back to the Princess after a season without it, right?

I often burn both at the same time. Get ready for big temperature swings with the nc30 in your home.

So how many stand alone stoves can compete with BK Kings or Princesses I’m burn time?

None so long as you’re talking about low output settings which is where those maximum burn times happen.

Don’t fall into that silly trap of comparing the bk burn time when it’s cranked up high to the maximum possible burn time of a noncat cranked down as low as it can go.

Woodstock cat stoves, and even the hybrids, are pretty dang close though.

Sometimes when your heat demand is very high you’ve got to do that near the end. Coal buildup becomes a problem right about the same time.

Just like with any other stove.

Reactions: Highbeam
A22D4B4C-3947-4756-8393-067DCB0F6B3B.png D249E85B-7EAD-4AFC-883F-766509FBFF17.png
I often burn both at the same time. Get ready for big temperature swings with the nc30 in your home.
Last post here for a little while, I need a break from this, actually feel a little emotional over this whole issue, but stubborn also.

Reactions: c Hardy
My Princess heats my 1100 ft. perfectly. I do not expect it to heat my upper level of 1100 ft. I sized it accordingly thanks to this thread. Thank you all.

But as beholler said while back, when it gets damn cold the BK becomes just another steel box where you throw splits in to keep warm.

I know you said last post but what app and such is that?

Lopi Rockport
Blaze King Ashford 25
Its a la crosse technology weather station (I think BJ's or Costco) theres a whole bunch of sensors you can mount anywhere and they all talk to the main data point which is wifi capable

Reactions: Tegbert
Then the stove, regardless which brand is can not be blame, or was underside for the job or what you need is to take care of others situations like leaking house, insulation etc, or whatever is happening. Some get disappointed with blaze Kings cause all what they have in mind is what other say about long burn times, and many want to achieve them when is real cold outside and they need to run it hard to keep up. I can run only one and handle my heat demand for the most part and the type of winters I have here, but just at times I will have to run it hard and possibly 3 reloads a day minimum.
Now I have been always running two stoves, two pellets, combination of pellet and wood, two wood etc. I Know that jus one will be hard to keep this place on my confort zone. When I got the blaze Kings I calculated that I will like to run them as low as possible including on real bad weather. The proof was two weeks ago when it stood for more than a week dropping between -1 to -6. I was okay running both on low around 2 o'clock on dial and making on one everyday after work a small hot fire with 2 to 3 pieces and reloading both full again before going to bed.

Reason why I can run it on low with those outside temperatures?
Well, my house is far from be perfect, insulation is real poor, I have been doing lately some remodeling improving things around but I still have windows from 60 years ago or way more than that plus a lot of more work to do here to get it more efficient. What is for sure is that I have been stopping the draft in this house alot. That have been helping more than anything. To not make this too long I will tell you that we should not asked the stove, regardless which one, to make miracles.

My Princess heats my 1100 ft. perfectly. I do not expect it to heat my upper level of 1100 ft. I sized it accordingly thanks to this thread. Thank you all.

But as beholler said while back, when it gets damn cold the BK becomes just another steel box where you throw splits in to keep warm.

I can really heat up the flue with the bk on high, it doesn’t seem to burn as cleanly either. Yes, I do believe that a properly sized bk is one that can run mostly at 50% or less of max with burn times over 12 hours. Once you set the stat much higher higher than that I believe that the performance advantage is too small to justify the drawbacks.

None so long as you’re talking about low output settings which is where those maximum burn times happen.

Don’t fall into that silly trap of comparing the bk burn time when it’s cranked up high to the maximum possible burn time of a noncat cranked down as low as it can go.

Woodstock cat stoves, and even the hybrids, are pretty dang close though.
To me comparing burn times between a bk turned down low vs a tube stove turned down low is pointless. Because the btu output is drastically different. And I only need that low output maybe a week out of the year. The rest of the time I have been getting similar burn times.

To me the trap is comparing max burn times between the two when the heat output of the bk when set for max burn time is as low as it is.

I can really heat up the flue with the bk on high, it doesn’t seem to burn as cleanly either. Yes, I do believe that a properly sized bk is one that can run mostly at 50% or less of max with burn times over 12 hours. Once you set the stat much higher higher than that I believe that the performance advantage is too small to justify the drawbacks.
Well said

My 2012 princess has a fan system from bk that turns off and on with temperature automatically. New models lost that feature.

Why in the world would one remove that feature? Should have read up more on the Ashford 25. I would have went with a different model, or something that had this feature. It would be nice to have a preset fan speed when cat is active for high, medium or low when cat is active. A simple thermostat switch tied to the fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.