2019-20 Blaze King Performance Thread Part 1 (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. We held off buying a brown one because we like the blue too. Once it was cancelled we ended up with brown. I wonder if fire engine red might be available by special order someday.
Red enamel is very difficult to get every piece the same shade. I doubt you’ll see that anytime soon. They had a hard enough time the brown!

Last edited:
I have brown, will be pissed if another color comes out!
Anyhoo. We went away for the weekend, cold stove, took opportunity to clean and quick looksy. My cat was coming out, probably worked itself 1/2” out. Pushed back in no problem, I can see the gasket intact around the cat. I thought that gasket made it tight, I thought wrong? I have some gasket that I planned on using when I took out cat, thinking early February, to vacuum. Is the cat working itself out a common thing?

I can see the gasket intact around the cat. I thought that gasket made it tight, I thought wrong?
That's "interam gasket." It expands when heated, to fill gaps between the cat and the housing so that smoke can't get past the cat. It's not real tight, and will fall apart when you take the cat out.

Anyhoo. We went away for the weekend, cold stove, took opportunity to clean and quick looksy. My cat was coming out, probably worked itself 1/2” out. Pushed back in no problem, I can see the gasket intact around the cat. I thought that gasket made it tight, I thought wrong? I have some gasket that I planned on using when I took out cat, thinking early February, to vacuum. Is the cat working itself out a common thing?

I’ve had it walk out 1/4” or so. Just shove it back in every time you inspect and clean the normal accumulation of fly ash. I’ve never heard of one coming completely out!

Reactions: Rob711
Red enamel is very difficult to get every piece the same shade. I doubt you’ll see that anytime soon. They had a hard enough time the brown!

Some creative people have named it whorehouse red! I’d rather paint a stove the color I want than tolerate an undesirable colored enamel stove. I guess I just don’t understand the allure of a damage prone porcelain coating on a stove of any color.

I agree. We held off buying a brown one because we like the blue too. Once it was cancelled we ended up with brown. I wonder if fire engine red might be available by special order someday.

I had two of the blue/black enamel stoves on order when they canceled the color. I almost canceled my entire order with BK over that, but I’m so glad I didn’t!

Reactions: Diabel
I am not sooooo keen on the enamel finishes. They look beautiful but during the summer dust shows like crazy. And sooner or later you end up smacking something hard against it and chipping the enamel....then what....

What have you found to be easiest way to clean ashes out of active blaze king king?
Burn it down to a reasonable amount of coals, rake the coals to one side, pull the plug and push the ashes down the hole. Repeat for the other side. Don’t worry about the random coals that fall in, you’ve got plenty. Get an ashhoe.

Reactions: ratsrepus
I guess I just don’t understand the allure of a damage prone porcelain coating on a stove
Well, they are absolutely gorgeous, that's all. ==c
What have you found to be easiest way to clean ashes out of active blaze king king?
There is no easy way, only less-hard ways. ;) But the King's got a deep belly and holds a lot of ashes, right? You should be able to go a long time before you have to mess with it. Then just schedule a couple vacation days from work. ;lol
Burn it down to a reasonable amount of coals, rake the coals to one side, pull the plug and push the ashes down the hole. Repeat for the other side. Don’t worry about the random coals that fall in, you’ve got plenty. Get an ashhoe.
That's not easy enough.. ;)

Reactions: SpaceBus
Well, they are absolutely gorgeous, that's all. ==c
There is no easy way, only less-hard ways. ;) But the King's got a deep belly and holds a lot of ashes, right? You should be able to go a long time before you have to mess with it. Then just schedule a couple vacation days from work. ;lol
That's not easy enough.. ;)
Some older folks we know have a gorgeous antique stove they use on cold days and to save bit on oil. They went several years without cleaning the ash. I think I pulled five gallons out spring this year and still left an inch.

Reactions: Woody Stover
I am not sooooo keen on the enamel finishes. They look beautiful but during the summer dust shows like crazy. And sooner or later you end up smacking something hard against it and chipping the enamel....then what....
Dust more frequently, it’s worth it! I just sold two old Jotuls in enamel finish, both ca.1993 vintage. One was used everyday, the other only occasionally, but neither had any chips or failings in the finish. That stuff is tough!

See my post above about the 3.5” round drain grate.

Mine walks out a bit too sometimes. I just push on the tabs gently to tuck it back into place.

Jotul did it pretty well. Their red was darker, like a cranberry red. That is what is on our 602. Still looking good.

I guess I just don’t understand the allure of a damage prone porcelain coating on a stove of any color.
A well-done enamel job stands up well. I would expect it to last even longer on a cast-iron clad stove. I really liked the blue-black enamel on our Jotuls. It stands up well and looks great. It also makes the stove a breeze to clean and look like new.

Reactions: Ashful and Highbeam
Mine walks out a bit too sometimes. I just push on the tabs gently to tuck it back into place.
What is this talk about the cat walking out? Can I see if mine walked out without removing the flame shield?

What is this talk about the cat walking out? Can I see if mine walked out without removing the flame shield?
It’s tricky but possible - get a flashlight and you can try to look through the holes in the shield. Or just wait til the stove’s cold and pop the shield off for a peek. It’s hard to tell for sure without removing the flame shield. No biggy.

Reactions: Highbeam
It’s tricky but possible - get a flashlight and you can try to look through the holes in the shield. Or just wait til the stove’s cold and pop the shield off for a peek. It’s hard to tell for sure without removing the flame shield. No biggy.
Got it. Thank you.
I will remove the shield next time before I light the stove.

I had noticed when looking at the active cat, it obscured the way it usually lines up with holes in the flame shield. It does slide back no problem.
I asked a while ago why brown is the enameled color of choice. We’d love a blue, I can’t see a panel saying “ok. We’re choosing a color, brown, yeah that’s the nicest of all, goes with everything!”

Reactions: Highbeam
Just finished redoing my hearth area and mudroom for my Sirroco 20. Redo included moving my wood box to the other side of the stove to better accommodate door swing. Big difference. Also, had the slab floor polished. First photo is before.
97E236A7-1B01-4261-9FAD-3A51D3F93B74.jpeg 2B2F0C39-5A62-4CD2-B8CC-4FB8651612BC.jpeg 410AE601-7728-4190-8FB0-E3517683AA86.jpeg

Very nice set up. Congrats!

Very nice. Love the floor! Is that just polished concrete, looks great.

Very nice. Love the floor! Is that just polished concrete, looks great.

Concrete and sealer. I had them take it way down to make the aggregate pop. Smooth as a granite counter. Key is having someone with good equipment and dust extractors. I didn’t even need to vacuum when they were done and they hauled off bags of concrete dust.

Nice mudroom too. Looks attractive.

Status
Not open for further replies.