2019-20 Blaze King Performance Thread Part 1 (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, of course all boaters are aware of gimbal cooktop propane stoves, they’re pretty standard today... but we’re talking wood heaters!
There were no qualifications or specifics. Will contact with deposit info. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ashful
I sent this user towards BKVP last night for guidance. I also asked that he update his current thread with any info he was given. As it could possibly affect the newer Boxer model as well.

Reactions: Ashful
Pulled open my ash pan and found some kind of metal washer maybe. Not actually in the pan part but on the front lip of the drawer. The stove is an ashford 30.1. I'm one of the ones with the slight smoke smell on the hinge side of the door. I attached a photo. Any idea what this is from. Maybe it has something to do with the smoke smell.

Attachments

• 20191016_185336.jpg
    20191016_185336.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 188
Pulled open my ash pan and found some kind of metal washer maybe. Not actually in the pan part but on the front lip of the drawer. The stove is an ashford 30.1. I'm one of the ones with the slight smoke smell on the hinge side of the door. I attached a photo. Any idea what this is from. Maybe it has something to do with the smoke smell.

That is the spacer holding the door assembly onto front of the stove. Page 19 of manual. Goes onto the bolt so that wouldn't be a good thing, door assembly could be loose.

I had my sides and door off to move the stove into the house so I know that's the piece. I'm also thinking I have a smell which is on hinge side as well but I know those bolts are tight.

I had my sides and door off to move the stove into the house so I know that's the piece. I'm also thinking I have a smell which is on hinge side as well but I know those bolts are tight.
Just took the top off. You are right. It was the one from the top left. Put it back in and tightened it up. The other top one was also loose. Thanks for the help.

Reactions: Highbeam
Think it could have been the cause of your smoke smell issues?

The door is attached to the front casting of the stove. Did you remove the front to get it into the house?

The door is attached to the front casting of the stove. Did you remove the front to get it into the house?
Yes, I took off that whole front assembly with the door attached to it.
Would definitely affect door gasket pressure from stove body. The marks in my door gasket are very uneven, from a deep groove to barely seeing a mark where it makes contact.

Looks like another smoke smell issue solved.

Please do not remove the fronts from the AF30 or AF20 models. They are very difficult to align in the field. We use very customized jigs to make certain the front/door alignment are correct. For the porcelain models it can also result in damages, such as chips or scratches.

For those not familiar with these two units, the cast door and front are one assembly. Getting them aligned in the field is going to be a challenge.

Removing the top or two side panels (also cast) are routinely removed for both making the stove lighter for handling and also door gasket tension adjustments.

Holiday, let me know if you run into alignment issues please.

BKVP

Please do not remove the fronts from the AF30 or AF20 models. They are very difficult to align in the field. We use very customized jigs to make certain the front/door alignment are correct. For the porcelain models it can also result in damages, such as chips or scratches.

For those not familiar with these two units, the cast door and front are one assembly. Getting them aligned in the field is going to be a challenge.

Removing the top or two side panels (also cast) are routinely removed for both making the stove lighter for handling and also door gasket tension adjustments.

BKVP
Im not sure how mine fell out as I have never removed the front. If I remember right when the dealer came to my house to replace my gasket for the smoke smell, I think he told me he had to inspect or add some fasteners to the front of the stove. I could be wrong.

BKVP
I agree, I wouldn't encourage anyone to remove the front.
Although the manual shows the procedure it's not just a matter of bolting it back on, as stated lining it up can be a challenge.

Good grief. ::DT

I’m so mad at myself. Ashford 30. First burn of the year and I must be rusty, but I threw my bypass and let it cruise for about 10 mins with the door cracked open :rolleyes:

Closed the door after I realized my error. Hell of a ghost flame show, which has since ended. Cat glowing red. Very active.

How likely I screwed up my cat here?

I’m so mad at myself. Ashford 30. First burn of the year and I must be rusty, but I threw my bypass and let it cruise for about 10 mins with the door cracked open :rolleyes:

Closed the door after I realized my error. Hell of a ghost flame show, which has since ended. Cat glowing red. Very active.

How likely I screwed up my cat here?
How high did the probe spike? The steelcats can take quite a bit more abuse than the ceramics, but if it got hot you may have flattened or peeled some coating.

Status
Not open for further replies.