2020-21 Blaze King Performance Thread (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I average 8 sticks in my Princess and she is full. I am about to reload the VC and head to the lake. Will post a pic of the cold start loaded Princess later on this afternoon. I will try fitting in 9 pieces.

Reactions: Dustin and Highbeam
Wow, look at all that kindling. It’s a full load that should scare a noncat owner. You might win for # of splits in a stove.

Seeing the ashford below you can really appreciate the value of a deep stove belly for ash and fuel.
Nah, the T6 likes a full belly.

Alderlea full.jpg

Reactions: huauqui and Dustin
Nah, the T6 likes a full belly.

View attachment 267826
Gorgeous site! You west end folks sure don’t know what real wood is all about (oak/sugar maple/BL/HL), nor you know about real winter (nor-easters come to mind or arctic vortexes).

Gorgeous site! You west end folks sure don’t know what real wood is all about (oak/sugar maple/BL/HL), nor you know about real winter (nor-easters come to mind or arctic vortexes).
Grew up in New England and went through plenty of winters including being snowed in for 4 days and -15º days where the way you got the car started was with a fire under the oil pan. Now I love rust-free cars and still having tomatoes in the greenhouse.
IMG_1193.jpg

FWIW, there is plenty of cold weather here up in the mountains and in eastern WA. It's nice to have winter close by that you can visit and cobwebs growing on the snow-shovel at home. And I have madrona and locust in the shed in case it gets really cold. I do miss the gorgeous hardwoods of the east, but not when it comes to burning. Doug fir is a very clean fuel that leaves almost no ash. I like emptying the stove every 6 weeks instead of every week.

Grew up in New England and went through plenty of winters including being snowed in for 4 days and -15º days where the way you got the car started was with a fire under the oil pan. Now I love rust-free cars and still having tomatoes in the greenhouse.
View attachment 267829

FWIW, there is plenty of cold weather here up in the mountains and in eastern WA. It's nice to have winter close by that you can visit and cobwebs growing on the snow-shovel at home. And I have madrona and locust in the shed in case it gets really cold. I do miss the gorgeous hardwoods of the east, but not when it comes to burning. Doug fir is a very clean fuel that leaves almost no ash. I like emptying the stove every 6 weeks instead of every week.
Those are awesome plants!

Look what I found!

Attachments

• 4EA8A86C-163C-4EB3-960D-95A5CC99D33A.jpeg
    4EA8A86C-163C-4EB3-960D-95A5CC99D33A.jpeg
    110.4 KB · Views: 127
Help! I have a screw loose!

The set screw on the thermostat knob that is..

When the stove was new in October the thermo knob would hit a hard stop at 6 o’clock or “all the way high”

I just turned it to that location getting ready for a reload. The knob spun past that spot. I quickly stopped advancing it for fear or getting it way off calibration. But, it’s still off based on me going past that point. How do i re-calibrate this knob to factory location?

thanks!

Help! I have a screw loose!

The set screw on the thermostat knob that is..

When the stove was new in October the thermo knob would hit a hard stop at 6 o’clock or “all the way high”

I just turned it to that location getting ready for a reload. The knob spun past that spot. I quickly stopped advancing it for fear or getting it way off calibration. But, it’s still off based on me going past that point. How do i re-calibrate this knob to factory location?

thanks!
The knob should have a allen wrench screw that I forgot the size now. Release the screw, turn the shaft with something all the way clockwise till it stops, reset the knob facing to 6 o'clock or straight to the floor and re-tight the allen wrench screw again. It is simple.

The knob should have a allen wrench screw that I forgot the size now. Release the screw, turn the shaft with something all the way clockwise till it stops, reset the knob facing to 6 o'clock or straight to the floor and re-tight the allen wrench screw again. It is simple.

thanks! Anyone know the size?

thanks! Anyone know the size?

I always grab a handful of Allen wrenches that look close and test each one until I find a fit. Hard to believe that some of these are even labeled.

I always grab a handful of Allen wrenches that look close and test each one until I find a fit. Hard to believe that some of these are even labeled.

i usually do the same thing. I’m just terrified of stripping it. Been there done that with metric vs standard Allen wrenches and using the wrong one

i usually do the same thing. I’m just terrified of stripping it. Been there done that with metric vs standard Allen wrenches and using the wrong one

If you screw one up (har har), a small stripped screw remover works well on hex set screws, if you can find one small enough to drop into the head.

Hey guys im back. Started my Blaze King Ultra a couple weeks ago.
Im looking for a wood stove to occasionally heat my pole building 32x56 insulated.
What can you guys tell me about this blaze. Catalyst? Good stove?
64AD7898-8A24-4FBD-99D5-D9275CCF4ECE.jpeg

It's an oldie. There should be a UL tag on the rear.

Hi, I just found this site and recently picked up a 1993 BK -KEJ 1102 for cheap , I'm looking for info on how to replace the 3 heat shields on the inside of the stove, and what type of metal they are. Thanks in advance for any help.

20201130_100722.jpg 20201130_100658.jpg 20201130_100652.jpg 20201130_100647.jpg

Hi, I just found this site and recently picked up a 1993 BK -KEJ 1102 for cheap , I'm looking for info on how to replace the 3 heat shields on the inside of the stove, and what type of metal they are. Thanks in advance for any help.

View attachment 268031 View attachment 268032 View attachment 268033 View attachment 268034

Label says it's a 1993 king for anybody trying to read it. Almost 30 years old and looks like it was used! Good reminder to clean the junk out from behind those interior heat shields. You're missing some bricks too. Newer models have a perforated flame shield that goes in front of the catalyst but I don't know if they had those in 1993.

Label says it's a 1993 king for anybody trying to read it. Almost 30 years old and looks like it was used! Good reminder to clean the junk out from behind those interior heat shields. You're missing some bricks too. Newer models have a perforated flame shield that goes in front of the catalyst but I don't know if they had those in 1993.
I've got all new brick for it . but not sure how to remove those shields ?

I've got all new brick for it . but not sure how to remove those shields ?

They are welded in place on my 2012 model princess. Couple welds on bottom, just one on top. You’ll need to cut them out to replace them.

Reactions: Alpine1
I literally just had to do this exact same thing to mine a few weeks ago. I have to admit though....it seems a bit different than before. I did the exact same thing as what is suggested here, but I’ve noticed my “cruise” location on the thermostat is much lower than last year. In other words, where you dial the thermostat down to after you’ve cooked the new load in on high for a few minutes and you’re ready to walk away from the stove for several hours. I’m dialing mine down to the very bottom of the swoosh to get the desired home temp. Last year, I was usually higher than that. About 1/4 away from the bottom of the swoosh. Almost like the new calibration has now shifted to a “more air” situation with every set point producing a hotter stove then before. I have no idea if I’m explaining this well but maybe this helps.

Last year range
Bottom swoosh 0%
max swoosh 100%

after calibration
Bottom swoosh 25%
max swoosh 125%

Obviously the numbers are ballpark but hopefully you get the idea. It makes me wonder if the original calibration actually allowed me to go past 6pm. ‍~shrugs~

Weatherman says tumbling temps today, I see tumbling splits from the wood pile to the stove then lol. My new standby cat should be in the mail this afternoon, I went with mid-west's steel cat, I think my princess came with a steel one originally, or maybe a steel one was given to me as a warrantee replacement, either way my next cat should be of the steel variety (I dont need one yet, prob mid next burning season, but just incase I like to keep a spare around)

Weatherman says tumbling temps today, I see tumbling splits from the wood pile to the stove then lol. My new standby cat should be in the mail this afternoon, I went with mid-west's steel cat, I think my princess came with a steel one originally, or maybe a steel one was given to me as a warrantee replacement, either way my next cat should be of the steel variety (I dont need one yet, prob mid next burning season, but just incase I like to keep a spare around)

You mustve bought the last one. Ive been checking for them to get the ceramics back in stock and noticed the steel ones sold out yesterday. I probably should have grabbed one but have been putting it off and now they have none lol. Weird that the princess size is the only ones sold out.

I tried a steel cat in my princess. I think it’s worth trying just to satisfy your curiosity. I got significantly less life out of it than ceramics which are cheaper. Just be aware. No cloggage issues for me, I think the princess is less cloggage prone.

Status
Not open for further replies.