2020-21 Blaze King Performance Thread (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You mustve bought the last one. Ive been checking for them to get the ceramics back in stock and noticed the steel ones sold out yesterday. I probably should have grabbed one but have been putting it off and now they have none lol. Weird that the princess size is the only ones sold out.

The princess cat is the same size as the 30 box cat. It’s like buying an oil filter for a gmc instead of a Chevy pickup with the same engine.

Reactions: JKanor
The princess cat is the same size as the 30 box cat. It’s like buying an oil filter for a gmc instead of a Chevy pickup with the same engine.

Very true, didnt think of it that way. Their listing says Princess so that was stuck in my head. Didnt consider the 3 other models using it.

Very true, didnt think of it that way. Their listing says Princess so that was stuck in my head. Didnt consider the 3 other models using it.

I have not personally removed a cat from a 30 box and installed it in my princess so though the dimensions are the same, I would be cautious about buying a 30 box cat for a princess. I wouldn't want a metal one anyway though and that's all you're supposed to use in a 30 box. If they run out of ceramic princess cats I'll be sad.

Reactions: JKanor
I have not personally removed a cat from a 30 box and installed it in my princess so though the dimensions are the same, I would be cautious about buying a 30 box cat for a princess. I wouldn't want a metal one anyway though and that's all you're supposed to use in a 30 box. If they run out of ceramic princess cats I'll be sad.

They've been out of ceramics for a few weeks now, definitely gonna grab one on the next restock.

Reactions: Alpine1
Sheeeshhh... should have bought mine weeks ago...
Any idea when 30 box cats will be available again from Midwest earth?

Sheeeshhh... should have bought mine weeks ago...
Any idea when 30 box cats will be available again from Midwest earth?

I messaged them about the ceramics probably 2 weeks ago, and they said they wouldn't have any for "a few weeks". Since the metal ones just sold out yesterday, id assume the same?

Reactions: Alpine1
I messaged them about the ceramics probably 2 weeks ago, and they said they wouldn't have any for "a few weeks". Since the metal ones just sold out yesterday, id assume the same?

Oh jeez, it's just like buying TP at costco!

Reactions: Rob711 and JKanor
Thank you, I’ll check their site once a week from now on, but I doubt they will have something back in stock before the holidays.

I’ve never used them but Condar might do in a pinch if they’re available.

Does the thermostat control require any type of lubrication? I just tightened the set screw fixing the knob issue. But before that, and now, it seems a bit tighter and less smooth.

I have noticed a few threads here where folks say they don't use the fan on their BK. We have a King, about 6 weeks of use now and have the fan running pretty much 24/7. We do vary the speed, lower at night to reduce noise, etc.... I'm curious, is there is some advantage to not using the fan?

Thanks in advance,

Bill

@Bill in the U.P. I use my blower when temps drop into the low 20's or lower, as far a other fans I keep a ceiling fan on low in reverse on just to help mix the air upstairs on the main living floor.
I don't think there are many disadvantages to fan usage, generally speaking with fan usuage comes with higher burn temps, so a shorter burn cycle for myself, when my blower comes on I switch to almost 12hr reloads which is pretty awesome, with no fan I'm around 16 -22hr reloads but the outside temps aren't low so there not a lot of btus needed to keep the house around 70-73.

Reactions: Bill in the U.P.
Inspired by BKVP's 10 year old Steelcat, I decided to go another year on mine. It's 3 now, going on 3.5 years of 24x7 service.

It is really definitely not performing like a new cat, but it is still eating smoke and making heat. Making it glow requires cranking up the stove, though.

I have noticed a few threads here where folks say they don't use the fan on their BK. We have a King, about 6 weeks of use now and have the fan running pretty much 24/7. We do vary the speed, lower at night to reduce noise, etc.... I'm curious, is there is some advantage to not using the fan?

Thanks in advance,

Bill
I’m on year 6 with my King, I’ve run the stove with and without fans..... I like without better..
On about the 3rd season I had fans mounted but not in use, I noticed that the stove did’nt seem to be heating like the year before..
Took the fans off, and it was performing better again.. ( I have plenty of distance behind stove)
Figured out that when the fans are mounted but not used they act as a rear hear shield, which I don’t need or want..
My king is in the great room 30’ x 40’ 2 story open floorplan, with a pair of 72” ceiling fans..
Hope that explains my situation..

Does the thermostat control require any type of lubrication? I just tightened the set screw fixing the knob issue. But before that, and now, it seems a bit tighter and less smooth.

Require is a strong word but when turning the knob and things feel scritchy, that can be fixed with lube. I do it every year or two. The thermostat shaft has a friction washer to prevent it from spinning on its own and the smallest dab of antiseize grease on that friction washer makes it smooth like butter.

Running it dry won’t hurt it though. Access requires removing a cover that the manual suggests you leave for qualified technicians. Those technicians make sure the stat is turned full cold before removing and installing the cover. Two #2 square drive screws.

Reactions: rdust and gregbesia

Thanks in advance,

Bill

I have the fans, they work well and I just used them today. I like the silence though and since my stove is in the living room I don’t want anything else competing with the tv!

So noise and wasted electricity.

I only use the fans when I want a boost.

I didn't get a fan kit with my Ashford, but have contemplated adding one. They're spendy buggers though so I have resisted so far.

I have the ashford as well and did end up getting the fan kit as they gave me a deal when I bought the stove.
On this model I find it really helps to move the heat out of the stove vs not using it. Anything much below freezing I start using it on low and definitely makes a big difference in heat output.
I also did have the cast top off a couple times setting the door and that let's way more heat come off as well.

I use my fan when I need that extra heat. The stove does awesome heating the entire house but sometimes in the morning, I wake up with it about two degrees colder if we had a real cold overnight. If I turn the fan on and bump the thermostat up just a little, the house is up to temp fast.

right now I’m on a 24 hour reload schedule with softwood. I burn 11am to 11am (just reloaded). When I get up at 0800 ish I have plenty of fuel to bump the thermo up and turn the fan on for a bit. When I reload, it’s a hot reload and I have to bust some stuff up before I can load. I really like the hot reloads.

Reactions: Highbeam
I use my fan when I need that extra heat. The stove does awesome heating the entire house but sometimes in the morning, I wake up with it about two degrees colder if we had a real cold overnight. If I turn the fan on and bump the thermostat up just a little, the house is up to temp fast.

right now I’m on a 24 hour reload schedule with softwood. I burn 11am to 11am (just reloaded). When I get up at 0800 ish I have plenty of fuel to bump the thermo up and turn the fan on for a bit. When I reload, it’s a hot reload and I have to bust some stuff up before I can load. I really like the hot reloads.

You may know this but the thermostat will automatically give the stove more air when you start stripping heat off with the fans to try and replace the lost heat. This is why people go through wood faster with the fans running.

There are two ways to run this stove, fans on and a lower thermostat setting or fans off and a higher thermostat setting to get the same output from the stove.

You may know this but the thermostat will automatically give the stove more air when you start stripping heat off with the fans to try and replace the lost heat. This is why people go through wood faster with the fans running.
This is why its important for freestanding units to be installed within spec of clearance, especially when near masonry (like my basement install) once you start burning at higher setting your radiating more heat which will absorb into masonry and can in some instances send a false reading to the t-stat if the unit is installed to close to the wall.

Reactions: Highbeam
the thermostat will automatically give the stove more air when you start stripping heat off with the fans to try and replace the lost heat.
So correct. I find this so cool.

Have not used the fans once this burning season. Only used them last year when it got nice and very cold out. I wonder if the stove would react in similar way to eco fan.....kids keep asking me what i want for Xmas.

Ha! In 18 years I will be... if working swing shift is retirement then retirement sucks.
Couldn’t agree more! Same for me: doing night shift right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.