2020-21 Blaze King Performance Thread (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely wasn't Chris, he was still running around with his Red Rider BB gun.
I was working the 1984 Equestrian Events for the Olympiad....at Santa Anita and Fairbanks Ranch in Del Mar....

I’ve kind of wondered about the heat output on a high burn vs a regular stove. Seems like a design might help radiate but the same load of firewood burning the same amount of time seems like it would produce the same amount of heat but what do I know. The whole btu that a stove can produce on max seems like it would depend a lot on how quickly it can burn the fuel. Thanks again for the info highbeam.
Just read the brochures...no BS there...

I got to look at the chimney for the first time on a reload/bake this am. Usually too dark or I don’t think about it. I really think it was mostly steam as it disappeared after about 5-10 ft. I was expecting more smoke especially how pitchy my wood is. Not something I would ever in my life of 55 years would I have ever thought I’d catch myself doing unless I thought there was a chimney fire lol. I hardly see anything once it’s going and turned down. Only see the heat waves. Currently 75 degrees inside after 3 hour frozen enchilada bake. Hard to adjust the swoosh for that and not going to discuss the time setting with the wife for future occurrences

I’ve kind of wondered about the heat output on a high burn vs a regular stove. Seems like a design might help radiate but the same load of firewood burning the same amount of time seems like it would produce the same amount of heat but what do I know. The whole btu that a stove can produce on max seems like it would depend a lot on how quickly it can burn the fuel. Thanks again for the info highbeam.

It depends: while @BKVP was talking about high vs low in a BK (i.e. in the same stove, hence his reference to the brochure), when you compare a regular stove with a BK on high, there can be differences: the heat you put in gets divided into two parts. The part going into your home (that's the part you are talking about), and the part going up the flue.

It depends on how the stove is designed to extract heat from the gases whether a BK on high would be similar to a regular stove. The fact that BKs flue temps are generally low suggests that with the BK you get more heat in the home than a regular stove. Though running it on high will likely diminish the advantage because the heat extraction is optimal for a certain flow speed (lower than on high).

My two cents

I got to look at the chimney for the first time on a reload/bake this am. Usually too dark or I don’t think about it. I really think it was mostly steam as it disappeared after about 5-10 ft. I was expecting more smoke especially how pitchy my wood is. Not something I would ever in my life of 55 years would I have ever thought I’d catch myself doing unless I thought there was a chimney fire lol. I hardly see anything once it’s going and turned down. Only see the heat waves. Currently 75 degrees inside after 3 hour frozen enchilada bake. Hard to adjust the swoosh for that and not going to discuss the time setting with the wife for future occurrences

I see steam always, no "heat waves". Maybe because it's colder here? Water comes out at any time in the burn (that's the chemistry).

That makes sense about the chimney temps. I looked again this am before I left, about 10 minutes after I shut the stove down and there was no visible steam or smoke. About 40 outside

I see steam always, no "heat waves". Maybe because it's colder here? Water comes out at any time in the burn (that's the chemistry).

Careful here, it’s certainly possible to have steam coming out of your chimney and even likely in very cold areas but it is not easy or even possible for most folks to tell the difference between steam, smoke, and a combination. The detached plume and rapid disappearance is one clue that it’s steam but even that depends on atmospheric conditions. I propose that even if it is steam, you don’t want it to precipitate out to visible steam until after it leaves your chimney cap. Turn the stove up!

Many people, including myself, have been fooled into thinking our stoves are burning so efficiently that steam is pouring out of the chimney when really it was smoke and made a mess of my chimney.

Reactions: Nealm66
I only even see anything when I’m doing the bake. I was just walking back towards the house when I happened to think to look. I checked my chimney a couple weeks ago looking up through the clean out and it looked really good. I was kind just expecting some obvious smoke since my wow as really pitchy. I’ll check it tomorrow and load a bunch of bark covered, punky snag pieces and see what it like. I’m out in the boonies and nobody really cares and I really don’t even know why I’m curious to be honest lol. Maybe it’s because the stove has so many coals and I shut the bypass right after I load?

It’s good to care about visible emissions. Smoke free stealth burning means your BK is working well to deliver you maximum heat from the fuel you work so hard for while not ticking off the environmentalists.

I was working the 1984 Equestrian Events for the Olympiad....at Santa Anita and Fairbanks Ranch in Del Mar....
Believe it or not I was there as well! Spectating only. Small world eh....

Careful here, it’s certainly possible to have steam coming out of your chimney and even likely in very cold areas but it is not easy or even possible for most folks to tell the difference between steam, smoke, and a combination. The detached plume and rapid disappearance is one clue that it’s steam but even that depends on atmospheric conditions. I propose that even if it is steam, you don’t want it to precipitate out to visible steam until after it leaves your chimney cap. Turn the stove up!

Many people, including myself, have been fooled into thinking our stoves are burning so efficiently that steam is pouring out of the chimney when really it was smoke and made a mess of my chimney.

Smoke does not dissipate in 3 ft. It dilutes and gets bluer in doing so. That is because it is particles. Steam on the other hand evaporates again and is grayer.

I have been checking my shield in my cap almost religiously, and it is as clear as it was in the beginning (binoculars).

I am aware of the possibility to gunk it all up, but (until I get a sweep up there - not doing it more than 2 floors up with only a small strip of roof at the edge not covered by solar panels...) I think I'm good as it goes as I'm convinced that it is steam.

I saw the same (color etc) with my previous cat stove. And the chimney was always clean.

Finally the icicles that fell down from the cap were quite clear.

I do burn it hot for half an hour when it is 25 F or below after reload to make sure I don't get an ice clog in the flue.

Smoke does not dissipate in 3 ft.

Ah but neither does steam depending on outside conditions. The gas chimneys here can have a contrail over 30 feet long! You are obviously more qualified than most to guess what you’re looking at but this forum has plenty of us that have been fooled. For the benefit of the majority, smoke and steam can look the same.

Ah but neither does steam depending on outside conditions. The gas chimneys here can have a contrail over 30 feet long! You are obviously more qualified than most to guess what you’re looking at but this forum has plenty of us that have been fooled. For the benefit of the majority, smoke and steam can look the same.

I agree. The proof will be in (the absence of) pudding in my chimney the next time the sweep gets up there.
I hope I don't get proven wrong.

I do note that whenever I burned on high I still had steam coming out (i.e. not waves). A lot and it dissipated in 10 ft or so.

My oil furnace does not make steam, but only heat waves despite essentially the same chemistry...:confused:

I agree. The proof will be in (the absence of) pudding in my chimney the next time the sweep gets up there.
I hope I don't get proven wrong.

I do note that whenever I burned on high I still had steam coming out (i.e. not waves). A lot and it dissipated in 10 ft or so.

My oil furnace does not make steam, but only heat waves despite essentially the same chemistry...:confused:

I’m happiest seeing nothing coming from the chimneys but heat waves. Second level of happiness is a detached plume of white meaning the exhaust leaves the cap clear for a visible distance before becoming visible.

I’m happiest seeing nothing coming from the chimneys but heat waves. Second level of happiness is a detached plume of white meaning the exhaust leaves the cap clear for a visible distance before becoming visible.

Hm, heat waves to me suggests too much heat is being pushed up the flue...?

Lots of folks near me with the pre epa stoves. Definitely different looking coming out of the chimney. Feels cold out today with the wind so the wife probably has it 75 in the house lol

Hi Everyone - looking at a 2007 model Blaze King to rebuild. Would parts be available for this unit? Probably need new door glass, new cat, new gaskets, possibly others. I just want to make sure the unit is still supported by the factory. Thanks Mike

Question: staring into the fire (running a small load on high upon start up, so flames :ZZZ==c), I noticed that on the back wall there is a rather large gap between two firebricks. Near 1/2 inch.
There obviously has to be some space to get them in and out, but it's not evenly distributed now.

Is near 1/2" an issue and should I move them a little bit? If so, asap or when the stove gets cold (the plan was in a week -if my wood stretches that far...)

Hi Everyone - looking at a 2007 model Blaze King to rebuild. Would parts be available for this unit? Probably need new door glass, new cat, new gaskets, possibly others. I just want to make sure the unit is still supported by the factory. Thanks Mike
You can get any parts needed. That’s going to be a good project and stove.

Reactions: Mike M.
So I definitely had some smoke with the bark covered, punky fir chunks lol. Not as bad as some of the chimney smoke I see from some of the neighbors but it didn’t disappear in 5-10 ft

Reactions: stoveliker
I like this sight...
Stack of cookies of rounds that were too long, ash, oak, cherry.

Attachments

• IMG_20210207_104048715.jpg
    IMG_20210207_104048715.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_20210207_104915991.jpg
    IMG_20210207_104915991.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_20210207_111613970.jpg
    IMG_20210207_111613970.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 106
I had no visible smoke or steam again about 10 minutes after shut down . My neighbor to the north helped me pack the stove in. I wonder if he thinks I don’t use it

I had no visible smoke or steam again about 10 minutes after shut down . My neighbor to the north helped me pack the stove in. I wonder if he thinks I don’t use it

It’s a badge of honor when your neighbors don’t even realize you use a woodstove.

Status
Not open for further replies.