30# Moisture in Aug

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Larca170

Aug 4, 2018
New York
Hi, I just got 2 cords of "Seasoned" hardwood delivered. I single stacked it so both sides are exposed with tarps on the top. I split a few pieces and am reading 22-24% moisture towards the outer edges of the 18' splits and 30%-32% in the center of each log. My question do you think this wood will be down to 20% or less moisture by mid-November. I measured it on Aug 20th, 2018. I live in the northeast. about an hour from the NYC.

Thank you,
Eric

Definitely not seasoned. Given the damp weather you are just going to have to monitor it and see. Or maybe get another load of truly seasoned wood (test before unloaded) and keep this lot for next year.

Nope....wont even be close to 20% by late November or spring for that matter.

What species?

Reactions: Larca170
Unless it’s oak, you might get to lower 20’s. If you’re up to it, resplitting the wood to a smaller size should help the wood dry a bit quicker.

You are likely not going to be happy burning that this year, even it is pine.

Just abut all of us can "buy" seasoned wood on our local craigslist and etcetera, the trouble is getting seasoned wood delivered.

You can look at bio-logs, they are basically wood pellets at 7% MC and roughly the size of cord wood splits. BTU for BTU they are pretty expensive, I have been there done that. read the instructions carefully, the ones I can get are limited to three bio-logs per stove load. I did spend a season figuring out how many splits i could put in the stove along with the three bio-logs to keep my aggregate MC acceptable. It sucked, I am not sure I saved one thin dime doing it that way

If you leave all that top covered and stacked off the ground with good airflow and good sun exposure I think it will be ready September 2019. I am personally in Alaska and am just going off what I read here. Tar12 and begreen both know their stuff inside and out. Eastern hardwoods take a while to season.

If you got room, you might search on "pine" and link to several threads here.

How many cords per year are you looking to burn as a supplement to your regular heat source?

Solar kiln time if you want to have a fighting chance

Reactions: Larca170
Eric
The only way you will be able to burn that wood this year is to put up a quick kiln. Your in NY so you will have about 2 months to get the MC down you will need to set it up asap if you want or need to burn it this year. It can be done.. but you need to do it now.

John

Reactions: begreen
You are likely not going to be happy burning that this year, even it is pine.

Just abut all of us can "buy" seasoned wood on our local craigslist and etcetera, the trouble is getting seasoned wood delivered.

You can look at bio-logs, they are basically wood pellets at 7% MC and roughly the size of cord wood splits. BTU for BTU they are pretty expensive, I have been there done that. read the instructions carefully, the ones I can get are limited to three bio-logs per stove load. I did spend a season figuring out how many splits i could put in the stove along with the three bio-logs to keep my aggregate MC acceptable. It sucked, I am not sure I saved one thin dime doing it that way

If you leave all that top covered and stacked off the ground with good airflow and good sun exposure I think it will be ready September 2019. I am personally in Alaska and am just going off what I read here. Tar12 and begreen both know their stuff inside and out. Eastern hardwoods take a while to season.

If you got room, you might search on "pine" and link to several threads here.

How many cords per year are you looking to burn as a supplement to your regular heat source?
I’m not sure yet I just bought a pacific energy T5 after much research, it’s being installed in 2 weeks.

Just finished stacking the rest. I’ll post a pic and check a log in a few weeks and see if I made any progress. Thank you all for you responses.

Last edited:
I’m not sure yet I just bought a pacific energy T5 after much research, it’s being installed in 2 weeks.

That stuff will burn in a T5. It won't be ideal but it will work. I would split a bunch of it smaller so you have good starter splits (or bigger kindling, whatever you wanna call it). All I've burned thus far in my T5 is less than ideal wood, but typically 20-27% moisture. If ya gotta do it then ya gotta do it, it's not the end of the world.

You'll see once you get wood that's actually seasoned how much easier it is to work with.

That stuff will burn in a T5. It won't be ideal but it will work. I would split a bunch of it smaller so you have good starter splits (or bigger kindling, whatever you wanna call it). All I've burned thus far in my T5 is less than ideal wood, but typically 20-27% moisture. If ya gotta do it then ya gotta do it, it's not the end of the world.

You'll see once you get wood that's actually seasoned how much easier it is to work with.
Thank you for your reply. Did you get a T5 insert or Free standing stove? Any tips tricks with at particular model?

I personally never tarp... full sun and wind baby!

2513F621-1048-4355-831A-D647906E04CB.jpeg
This is where I’m at.

Thank you for your reply. Did you get a T5 insert or Free standing stove? Any tips tricks with at particular model?

I have the free standing model, this will be my third (or second full season) with it. I'm still a novice but I find this stove is pretty easy to operate. Get a stove top thermometer and keep it on the actual stove top (not swing out trivet) and don't be scared of high temps unless you're getting to 800+ then cut the air off and you'll see it cools down fairly quick. I've only over fired once or twice where some of the inside parts were glowing red, though I've never seen anything on the outside of the stove glow.