30NC for $799

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And after the 30% tax rebate it's a steal!

Only in IL and WI though!

Yeah, but I'm sure Lowe's would match it. I took an ad from a South Dakota store last year for $599 and they matched it, but wouldn't do the 10%.

S

oh man im surprised to see the big wood furnace is under a grand ,thats a killer deal i paid about 1300+ for mine and i still feel it was a great bargain considering how awesome the unit performs

I'll mention this every time i see one of these threads come up. While these stoves are relatively inexpensive in the wood stove market, they are fairly 'high-ticket' items at the stores in question (Farm & Fleet, Home Depot, Lowes, etc). As a result, all of these retailers will negotiate on price. Last year, my wife spotted an NCH-30 on clearance at Home Depot for $750. I offered $500 and they took it.

Just make sure you talk to someone that has the authority to make the deal. Generally I just ask for the manager and go from there. Don't be shy, the worst they can do is say no.

We just got our stove fired up this fall and I'm loving it!

jcims said:
I'll mention this every time i see one of these threads come up. While these stoves are relatively inexpensive in the wood stove market, they are fairly 'high-ticket' items at the stores in question (Farm & Fleet, Home Depot, Lowes, etc). As a result, all of these retailers will negotiate on price. Last year, my wife spotted an NCH-30 on clearance at Home Depot for $750. I offered $500 and they took it.

Just make sure you talk to someone that has the authority to make the deal. Generally I just ask for the manager and go from there. Don't be shy, the worst they can do is say no.

We just got our stove fired up this fall and I'm loving it!

Huh, interesting. I am considering an Englander insert (but really think it's too small for me unfortunately) that runs from about 1200-1500$ at the box stores, but I saw it on an ace hardware "outlet" site in NJ for 999$ wonder if the box stores would meet it? Around here, I think probably not, because they don't have them in store for the most part and I would have to order it. But still... http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(l3lphgqgryjs5r554udwpt45)/productdetails.aspx?sku=4171278&source=GoogleBase

I'd rather pick it up at ACE and make sure that the local franchise stays supported. It's already at the price you want locally.

Matt

I get your point Matt but it's actually not available at my local Ace at all, it's only at that one outlet up north. So like the deals the OP posted at that retailer, it's not a deal that is available locally (not even a stove that's available locally - except at lowes/home depot and ordering through the website) I think the kind of deals jcims is mentioning though - haggling with the box stores - probably only works on in-stock stuff.

tickbitty said:
I get your point Matt but it's actually not available at my local Ace at all, it's only at that one outlet up north. So like the deals the OP posted at that retailer, it's not a deal that is available locally (not even a stove that's available locally - except at lowes/home depot and ordering through the website) I think the kind of deals jcims is mentioning though - haggling with the box stores - probably only works on in-stock stuff.

Any ACE Hardware store can order Englander stoves. They are in the store's computer system. The hinkey thing is that ACE corporate has to get back to them with a shipping charge amount.

BrotherBart said:
tickbitty said:

Any ACE Hardware store can order Englander stoves. They are in the store's computer system. The hinkey thing is that ACE corporate has to get back to them with a shipping charge amount.

Huh. When I look on the general Ace hardware website, some Englander stoves come up but not the insert. And when I use the website to find my local ace, it doesn't bring up either of the two ace stores that are within about 5 miles of my house. Weird.

The stoves are in the store's computer system. Not on the web site. It gives them instructions on getting a price from ESW and a shipping charge from corporate. Most ACE employees don't even know they are in there.

If anybody needs to buy a stove now, and doesn't have time to play the waiting game to find stoves on clearance and haggle... $799 is a very fair price for this stove.

-SF

Yes indeed, I picked a new Summers Heat NC30 today at the Rice lake Farm & Fleet for the sale price + 10% off for opening up a credit card + the 30% off for the tax credit. This was about a $500 NC30 stove... not bad

And my record is safe. Being the only person on planet earth that ever bought a 30-NC for list price. :mad:

BrotherBart - look on the bright side, it's probably almost paid for itself already. . . right??? :)

BrotherBart said:
And my record is safe. Being the only person on planet earth that ever bought a 30-NC for list price. :mad:

...and as a result actually supported the company that builds this fine little product. The fact that it can be had for scrap steel prices on occasion is a fluke, as SlyFerret said, it's a steal at $799. I just wanted to remind folks that some of these big box stores will wheel and deal, especially this time of year.

thinkxingu said:
Yeah, but I'm sure Lowe's would match it. I took an ad from a South Dakota store last year for $599 and they matched it, but wouldn't do the 10%.

S

I just bought an NC-30 tonight and printed the ad from Blains (the link above) and took it into Lowes. They gave me a run around that the ad was from a store in Iowa and I was in Pennsylvania and it wasn't local. I didn't take no for an answer and kept quoting the 10' x 10' sign behind them that said that Lowe's would price match a competitor offer and then beat it by 10%.

Eventually they said they would match the price but wouldn't give me the 10% off. I then slapped down a 10% off coupon and they said I couldn't use it because it cannot be combined with another discount. The whole time they were going back and forth I was talking to the couple behind me that were buying a dishwasher. After they concluded that I wouldn't get the 10 off the price match, nor would the honor my coupon, I turned to the couple behind me and said "Here you go - use this coupon for your dishwasher as they won't let me use it!" They saved 70 bucks with it.

All said and done, I walked out of Lowes with the NC-30 for $799 that was priced at $1099. Saved 400 bucks.

It is the Lowes version so it has brushed nickel accents that the Blain's one didn't. I would say it was a good day. Now all I have to get is some double walled pipe to run a chimney. Anyone have any experience with SuperVent that you can get from Lowes?

Dave

GatorDL55 said:
All said and done, I walked out of Lowes with the NC-30 for $799 that was priced at $1099. Saved 400 bucks.

It is the Lowes version so it has brushed nickel accents that the Blain's one didn't. I would say it was a good day. Now all I have to get is some double walled pipe to run a chimney. Anyone have any experience with SuperVent that you can get from Lowes?

Dave

Good job for sticking to your guns. The Lowe's here will not deal with me like that. I tried to get them to honor a Home Depot 10% off coupon and they eventually refused. The Home Depot here will honor any competitor's coupon.

I bought the Supervent chimney from Lowe's. It is pretty good overall. But, take each section of chimney out of the box first before you buy it and check to make sure they aren't dented. Some I looked at were badly dented.

If you use the Decorator Ceiling Support Kit for the straight up install, the stove pipe adapter goes inside the Decorator Ceiling Support. The instructions that came with it show it going on the outside, but it will not lock well to the Class A chimney that way. The online instructions show it going on the inside. Go figure.

Also, the chimney exposed on the outside may allow water to wick in at the seams of the chimney. It will make it's way down the inside of the chimney pipe and come out near the stove pipe adapter. A bead of silicone along the seam will take care of it.

I wanted to make sure that I could "stick it to the man" at tax time so I went and bought all of my chimney and items I need for the install last night at 6:00pm. I should be all set to go now and will take a look at the scope of the project today. Found a local guy that would install my stove for $300 but might do it myself. I dunno.

I have 4 guys coming over today to help me lift the 30 out of my truck. Any ideas out there on how you got your units into your house?

I removed the door, ash pan and all off the brick. That lightened it a good deal. Then I strapped it to a dolly and rolled it out the back of my truck, across planks to the back door. Then I had one buddy below it (Craziest guy you know is the appropriate person) and myself and another guy were controlling the dolly going down the stairs. I think two good sized people could do the job. The guy that helped me move it down stairs was a bit small and the dolly was picking him up off the ground.

Matt

Gator, I'd be happy they matched the price! Why burn your bridges by making them jump through hoops? The managers who matched the price on my NC-13 is always glad to see me because he knows I'll buy, if the price is right. Last month, he offered me a Generac generator they had open box for 50% off because he's trying to clear out OB stuff. I think I bricked on not biting for that one.

S

BrotherBart said:

Hello Bart,
How long have you had this stove and has it needed any parts? Those seem like a great stove for short money and just doing a little advance research...

Thanx,
Ray

raybonz said:
BrotherBart said:

Hello Bart,
How long have you had this stove and has it needed any parts? Those seem like a great stove for short money and just doing a little advance research...

Thanx,
Ray

Installed it in December 2006 after my old stove cracked. No parts yet but I am probably going to order a set of baffle boards here before long just to have them around.

Status
Not open for further replies.