35 ton huskee splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hdguy

Aug 5, 2011
Southern Illinois
I have a older 35 ton huskee splitter with 14 HP briggs motor on it vertical shaft, it was hard to pull start and would kick back and yank pull handle from hand.
I had it worked on and it lasted about 2 months and it about breaks my hands trying to start it.
Iam done with this motor, my question is why does the motor have to be that big and what motor can i replace it with

take the nubers off the motor
family
code
its stamped on the block and look it up to locate shaft size as well.as bolt pattern for the block to see if all will be the same

me personally I think 35ton is to large and to slow. I use a 22 ton and split everything just fine with a faster cycle time.. sub 11 seconds changing your motor to a smaller one may slow the splitter even more as well.as have less power

Motor requirements are based off of the pump displacement. Typically the 2 stage pumps found on splitters require half the hp as the pump displacement. (16 gpm pump = 8hp, etc.) Find out what pump is on your splitter and size the gas engine accordingly.

I just put an electric motor on mine. It's awesome. No more pulling, gas, noise, vibration, fumes, or oil. Just turn it on and go. Trying to start a cold splitter when its cold out is no fun. And now my wife and son can use it.

I am using a 3hp motor. It depends on the gpm and psi. I am running 11 gpm@500 psi and 1.7 gpm@3400 psi for my two stages. This keeps the motor from overworking. A 16 gpm pump will need anout 5hp. Look for a 3450 rpm motor with a service factor of at least 1.15.

I just put an electric motor on mine. It's awesome. No more pulling, gas, noise, vibration, fumes, or oil. Just turn it on and go. Trying to start a cold splitter when its cold out is no fun. And now my wife and son can use it.

I am using a 3hp motor. It depends on the gpm and psi. I am running 11 gpm@500 psi and 1.7 gpm@3400 psi for my two stages. This keeps the motor from overworking. A 16 gpm pump will need anout 5hp. Look for a 3450 rpm motor with a service factor of at least 1.15.

that great... if your always around and electric receptacle....

I don't split in the woods and I have a 100 ft cord. Not sure what the OP does, but figured I would share.

Just a note for anyone considering electric... the rule of thumb for electric is electric hp X 2 = gas HP. In other words a 3 hp electric motor is roughly equivalent to a 6hp gas.

Reactions: Isaac Carlson
I have a older 35 ton huskee splitter with 14 HP briggs motor on it vertical shaft, it was hard to pull start and would kick back and yank pull handle from hand.
I had it worked on and it lasted about 2 months and it about breaks my hands trying to start it.
Iam done with this motor, my question is why does the motor have to be that big and what motor can i replace it with
It doesn't need that big of an engine.
This type of handle works much better for engines that are hard to start...but it shouldn't be that hard. Something is out of tune...valve clearance, spark plug, or most likely, the carburetor. (assuming it doesn't have points)
I would sell it and buy a smaller one rather than changing the engine/pump...unless you are really in love with that particular machine for some reason?
Amazon product ASIN B0015MLQ00

I think modern engine must have a automatic compression release. If his engine doesn’t and he happens to catch it on a compression cycle that could be why the rope handle pulls back on him and it can be wicked. My Honda 500 Rubicon ATV will rip the handle right out of hand if I’m not careful to first pull the rope a little and make sure it’s not in the compression cycle. Usually I use the starter but sometimes that goes out and I need to pull start it then.