752 miles in a Tesla S

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
In a test, Our Next Energy (ONE) put one of their battery packs in a Tesla S. It was tested on real Michigan roads in the winter. The results were exceptional - 752 miles! What this eventually means for the automotive market remains to be seen, but it is an impressive demonstration. BMW has partnered with them, so we will see what develops.

If this keeps doing that (+/- 10 pct) even after 500 charges, and cost can go down if production is scaled up, it's a game changer.

I know next to nothing about electric car development but obviously it is great to see that milage barrier being broken in such a big way. Thinking about the future going electric I wonder what generating and grid capacities will be needed and about planning for that. We were just taking about brown outs in N.E. if a very cold winter.

It appears this guy liked blowing his to pieces more than driving it. LOL

Reactions: bigealta
I had seen mention if that video, but I have not seen it. Such a wasteful action.
Don't like it? Sell it. Even if in parts. Much can be reused.

Don't want to bring criticism down on myself, but I imagine I will from some, but what is powering these cars in the US at this time...coal and other fossil fuels? (My local grocery store has 8 FREE electric car charging spaces for customers while they shop with a huge diesel generator powering the charging stations! "Choke on the pollution") And, since China and a limited number of other countries have most of the "ingredients" for what is needed for electric cars, aren't we just supporting them rather than us? Our rush to electric "everything" is going to hurt us since we don't have the technology or natural resources at this time. Eventually, we might get there, but we are not even close now. We are rushing blindly into "green technology" and the elimination of fossil fuels without the technology or resources to replace them. This will only hurt us. I read someplace else, it's like closing the grocery stores before anyone has their garden planted.

Last edited:
I had seen mention if that video, but I have not seen it. Such a wasteful action.
He did part it out, what he blew up was a shell stripped of valuable parts and no doubt he monetized the event.

Don't want to bring criticism down on myself, but I imagine I will from some, but what is powering these cars in the US at this time...coal and other fossil fuels? (My local grocery store has 8 FREE electric car charging spaces for customers while they shop with a huge diesel generator powering the charging stations! "Choke on the pollution") And, since China and a limited number of other countries have most of the "ingredients" for what is needed for electric cars, aren't we just supporting them rather than us? Our rush to electric "everything" is going to hurt us since we don't have the technology or natural resources at this time. Eventually, we might get there, but we are not even close now. We are rushing blindly into "green technology" and the elimination of fossil fuels without the technology or resources to replace them. This will only hurt us. I read someplace else, it's like closing the grocery stores before anyone has their garden planted.

My "wow" is for the diesel generator.

On the other hand, aren't we making things in th US with this company?

I know some materials (mostly rare earth elements for magnets) mostly come from china. But if we don't start*making* things here and now, we'll forever be behind the curve, forever paying China (Japan, Korea) for what we need in this branch...

Reactions: Dan Freeman
My "wow" is for the diesel generator.

On the other hand, aren't we making things in th US with this company?

I know some materials (mostly rare earth elements for magnets) mostly come from china. But if we don't start*making* things here and now, we'll forever be behind the curve, forever paying China (Japan, Korea) for what we need in this branch...

We are making things here in the US with this company, but many (read: most) of the materials are imported. It is not only the rare earth elements, but also many of the components we have limited access to. I agree, we have to start somewhere, but right now, we don't have the technology or materials to switch over to electric cars and other systems as fast as many folks, local and the federal government is pushing for. We lack the ability to totally" switch over by 2025, 2030, or whenever, as many areas are already passing legislature for. We will suffer because of it.

Reactions: clancey
I agree. But the only way to get there is to start somewhere. More so in making stuff (which creates business incentives for making more stuff here to feed mfgs like these) than in mandating electrification right now, maybe.
That's why having a company do this is so helpful. Without starts like this, it'll never get done in the US.

Last edited:
I agree. But the only way to get there is to start somewhere. More so in making stuff (which creates business incentives for making more stuff here to feed mfgs like these) than in mandating electrification right now, maybe.
That's why having a company do this is so helpful. Without starts like this, it'll move done in the US.

Yes, we have to start, and I am not against this, but we don't have the technology or the access to the necessary raw materials to achieve this as fast as people think or the government is pushing for. Just a matter of fact. Anything else is a pipe dream. We are not going to power this country with windmills, solar and whatever else folks think any time soon. My guess is it will take 50-100 years.

I read everything was stripped and parted out. It’s a real issue. If a new battery pack is 15-20k$. And the value of the car with is working battery is about that what do you do. It’s a YouTube channel where all they do is blow stuff up. It’s a job now I guess. How much do you make off of 5M views in two weeks?

I read everything was stripped and parted out. It’s a real issue. If a new battery pack is 15-20k$. And the value of the car with is working battery is about that what do you do. It’s a YouTube channel where all they do is blow stuff up. It’s a job now I guess. How much do you make off of 5M views in two weeks?
It's good they didn't blow *all* up. I still find the waste created for this entertainment to be offending. Most of us are here (website) because we care about efficiency and/or environment (ok, and safety). Blowing up that shell is the opposite of all these things.

Back to the original topic: I'll never by a Tesla (as I don't like to pay for brand rather than quality alone). But doing this large capacity battery, and even if expensive, having it fit in a Tesla, not the biggest car around, is a good thing.

Reactions: EbS-P
It appears this guy liked blowing his to pieces more than driving it. LOL

A complete poophead IMO. Rich boy with too many toys and no regard for the environment.

Reactions: stoveliker
Yes, burning diesel for charging is ridiculous. I do think we need to rush into green technology but not blindly. We need to be looking down that road assessing what we have and what we will need.

Don't want to bring criticism down on myself, but I imagine I will from some, but what is powering these cars in the US at this time...coal and other fossil fuels?
Well, you lost me with your first statement, so I'm just going to ignore the rest of what you said. Coal is less than 20% of US electrical generation, down from ~50% twenty years or so ago. In upstate NY, carbon-free electricity (hydro, nuclear, wind) is 85% of total electrical generation in a given year. The future is here for many of us - yes, there is more work to be done in many places. But let's get the basic facts straight.

I guess you get lost easily. "Coal and other fossil fuels" power about 70% of the electricity in our country. Actually, coal is only used for about 10% of the energy in the US. Hydro, Nuclear, wind, etc. produces only about 21% of our energy in the US despite whatever way upstate NY is producing their power. The future may be here for many, but the power to run electric cars is still about 70% fossil fuel driven, and that is not going to change all that fast. So, Americans can feel good about their electric cars while 70% of the energy to charge them comes from fossil fuel, the same thing the rest of us put in our cars every time we stop at the gas station. So, get the basic facts right.

chart (1).png

Reactions: clancey
I love how the end slow mo shots were photographed. Elon Mask was pretty funny. It looked like they did a clean up and if that's the case i've got not problem with them blowing up a car. Some of the explosion shots were both beautiful and disturbingly ugly at the same time.

In a test, Our Next Energy (ONE) put one of their battery packs in a Tesla S. It was tested on real Michigan roads in the winter. The results were exceptional - 752 miles! What this eventually means for the automotive market remains to be seen, but it is an impressive demonstration. BMW has partnered with them, so we will see what develops.

Good Job from the Boys in Detroit!
Let's keep this One in One piece.

That part about a diesel generator powering the charging stations doesn't sound right.

There is a bank of Tesla chargers in the parking lot of my local grocery store too, and the large pad mounted transformer feeding them could be confused for a generator at a quick glance. Are you sure it's not a transformer you're seeing? If it is in fact a generator, my guess is that it's just for backup power if the grid goes down while vehicles are being charged. It would make zero sense for a diesel generator to be the main power source for EV chargers at a grocery store parking lot, when the grid is available right there.

I think the most intriguing part of this they put a 3rd party battery in. That gives hope to an after market battery pack for used cars that are in otherwise good shape that won’t cost 15-20k$. But again Tesla could with an over the air update say “nah we don’t like” that and disable the car. Range is a selling point but super fast always available charging is the practical feature. Did you ever not buy a car because the gas tank was too small?

As a regular long haul vacationer 600-900+ miles a day I’m still needing to charge and when I get to my destination I need to charge. So upfront cost and charging access and speed are more important than range.

Evan

That part about a diesel generator powering the charging stations doesn't sound right.

There is a bank of Tesla chargers in the parking lot of my local grocery store too, and the large pad mounted transformer feeding them could be confused for a generator at a quick glance. Are you sure it's not a transformer you're seeing? If it is in fact a generator, my guess is that it's just for backup power if the grid goes down while vehicles are being charged. It would make zero sense for a diesel generator to be the main power source for EV chargers at a grocery store parking lot, when the grid is available right there.
There are two large structures they put on pads to the side of the charging station. One looks like a large metal box with lockable doors (transformer?). The other looks more like the diesel generators large grocery stores bring in when the power is out for a few days during a bad storm. That's what I am thinking the 2nd one is, but I could be wrong. Perhaps, like you mentioned, it is for backup.

I guess you get lost easily. "Coal and other fossil fuels" power about 70% of the electricity in our country. Actually, coal is only used for about 10% of the energy in the US. Hydro, Nuclear, wind, etc. produces only about 21% of our energy in the US despite whatever way upstate NY is producing their power. The future may be here for many, but the power to run electric cars is still about 70% fossil fuel driven, and that is not going to change all that fast. So, Americans can feel good about their electric cars while 70% of the energy to charge them comes from fossil fuel, the same thing the rest of us put in our cars every time we stop at the gas station. So, get the basic facts right.

View attachment 289202
What this shows is that we need to get working yesterday on weaning off the teat of fossil fuel. Start with ending fossil fuel subsidies and putting that money into more sustainable solutions.

He did part it out, what he blew up was a shell stripped of valuable parts and no doubt he monetized the event.
At the expense of spreading micro-plastics for a usable vehicle to kingdom come. Not to mention the fuel burned to make the production.

What this shows is that we need to get working yesterday on weaning off the teat of fossil fuel. Start with ending fossil fuel subsidies and putting that money into more sustainable solutions.
I agree! I think we need to seriously accelerate, concentrate and invest in cleaner energy producing technology, so we don't put the cart before the horse.

Last edited: