A 100% NOOB "review" of my new Fiskars X27

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That Big Donnie Brasco sure learns fast!
It looks like he's from Kansas!>>

Reactions: Big Donnie Brasco
Elm is best left in the woods to rot.

Naaa... That is just an example of how bad it can get. Elm is actually pretty decent firewood if it is not a bear to split. Some is, some ain't.

Naaa... That is just an example of how bad it can get. Elm is actually pretty decent firewood if it is not a bear to split. Some is, some ain't.

Elm got me through my first winter . . . burned a lot of standing dead elm on the property that I cut and split that spring and summer. Also standing dead elm isn't so bad to split . . . fresh cut can sometimes be miserable though.

That really is a pic of you?!?!? Holy Chit....

As for the Bird. A 12" beard, that's my best. Love my birds, and deer, and rabbits, and squirrels. :)

The Fiskars is a heck of a tool. I use mine occasionally. But my Hyd, get used more. To easy that way.

That really is a pic of you?!?!? Holy Chit....

As for the Bird. A 12" beard, that's my best. Love my birds, and deer, and rabbits, and squirrels. :)

The Fiskars is a heck of a tool. I use mine occasionally. But my Hyd, get used more. To easy that way.

Oh yea... I actually played a part in MMA getting legalized in the states back in the 90's. Used to fight all over the Southwest.

I LOVE to hunt Turkey, it is such a chess match, I hunt deer and other critters to fill the deep freeze, but Turkey is my favorite to "hunt"!

I DID hit some crazy knot in a log tonight with my Fisk and it took a good 3 HARD whacks to persuade it to split! :)

One day I will save my pennies for a good splitter. I am a little nervous about all the hedge I am going to hand split this summer!

BDB

As a newbie who just started collecting wood in Nov. of 2012 and up to 9 cords, I split it as small as I possibly can. I'd rather have a little bit shorter burn times with dry wood than smoldering, difficult to light, creosote creating fires. In time, sure bigger splits is less work, but with my CAT stove I'm hoping I can just pack the stove tight with small splits and it'll go all night anyway. Heck I bet I can fit more wood in the firebox with small splits that a few big ones so perhaps burn times will even out. GL with the Fiskars. I found with mine the edge was sharp but brittle. Good to have a flat file around to take off the chips/burrs from time to time. Eventually it seems like the tip got stronger as I get deeper in the metal, but then it could of been me. GL.

with my CAT stove I'm hoping I can just pack the stove tight with small splits and it'll go all night anyway.

That has worked for me very well in my Fireview. With the air nice and low it doesn't seem to matter what size the splits are.

That's good to hear because the Oak I've been splitting has been dripping wet. It's kind of amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.