A cord of wood!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stanleyjohn

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
southcentral Ct
Ok maybe not such a great question but here it is.Tomorrow i get my first cord of season wood cut and split!Anyone have a pic of what that will look like when they dump it?I know ill find out after i stack but would like to have an idea that I'm getting what i payed for when they deliver.

You probably won't be able to tell immediately.. it'll be a big jumbled pile, probably something like 12' x 6' and 3' high in the center.

And if it's really seasoned, then you'll be the first person I've heard of who got actual seasoned wood when they bought "seasoned wood" C/S/D ;) (from what I've seen "split in March" is considered seasoned by sellers)

Look at the delivery vehicle and how it's loaded. One of my trusted suppliers has a heavy duty modified 3/4 ton (Dana 60 rear axle & appropriate suspension & brakes), and he's got expanded metal fences on the bed, and he stacks the wood in there just the way you'd stack it on the ground...so I know how much wood he's delivering, just by looking at the truck before we start tossing it off into a heap only to be re-stacked into neat rows. He can bring me a generous 1 1/2 cords per load that way, and he always brings me a bit more than I asked for. If it's a big dump truck or trailer and the wood's just tossed into it in a heap, then the dimensions of the thing will only give you a rough estimate. The proof, as Jay said, is in the stacking. Rick

If he really cares about your business it will be damn close to a cord. You will know what kind of guy he is after stacking it all. If he is close or right on, I am sure you will go back, if not then you know what to do the next (call somebody else). If he is not even close, call back and complain. It might not help in getting more wood, but you will feel better at the time :)

My first cord delivery!A guy and his son!He told me oak was cut last year at this time,seems dry to me.Had a little chat with him and he says many suppliers are running out!huge demand.Here is a pic!You can see my new woodshed in the back!left of my reg storage shed.

Attachments

• A cord of wood!!
    IMG_0343.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 837
Looks like about a cord to my "eye".

On my last order, with a new guy, I got an agreement that if after I stacked he'd make up any shortages, he "lives" near by. He delivered in two standard Ford F150 pick-up loads and the bed volume is about 1/2 cord, 64 cf, but the wood was dumped in the truck, front end loader. I said that's less than a cord, he said: how about $175, I said ok, paid about $220 per cord I'd estimate after stacking. It is mostly cherry, nice wood overall, but I'd not consider it seasoned, that's why I ordered last month, it has about 6 months to season in my stack, maybe a bet longer as I have about 1/2 cord that is over 1 year old.

Looks pretty good to me, you'll find out once you get it stacked. :)

Stanlyjohn

Where in CT are you? I'm in Colchester. That looks like a pretty good load. I've got a couple of people lined up for wood. One at $210/cord and another at $180/cord. I try to give something to each so they'll remember me when I call.

Greg H

Looks nice...

Looks about right. Plus a little light on oak is just as good as a full cord of some other varieties. Got any more coming?

I'm beat!!! Glad it isn't too hot today.I got close to a cord!Stacked 2 sides in my wood shed 8ft long,almost 6 ft high with average cut around 16".I I am located in Haddam,Ct,The guy i got this wood from lives in Cromwell but has his operation here in haddam not to far from me.He is charging 195 a cord now to the surrounding towns around Haddam.I threw loose bark and wood shavings into my mulch pile.heres a few pics.

Attachments

• A cord of wood!!
    IMG_0344.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 597
  • A cord of wood!!
    IMG_0345.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 621
You're dead on by my math. I'd get more, esp. with it being all oak!

Status
Not open for further replies.