A little bit left

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trumpeterb

Hearth Supporter
Jul 15, 2009
Western PA
My cousin, who is a park ranger, called me and said there was a tree down in the local park. The Army Corp had already cut it up and the wood was piled up along side the road. She said that another person wanted the wood, but he had already taken all he wanted. He left the brush, trunk, and some limbs. She told me that there was this little bit left if I wanted it. What the heck...free wood is free wood regardless of the amount I figured, so I went there...here are some pics of what she called a "little bit." There is also a pic of one of the nastiest and gnarliest pieces I have had in a long time...good luck splitting this one.

Attachments

• wood 1.jpg
    wood 1.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 395
  • wood 2.jpg
    wood 2.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 362
  • wood 3.jpg
    wood 3.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 384
What type of wood?

I dont know how straped you are for wood, but Im rushing to catch up and I wouldnt mess with that one!

Nothing wrong with that little bit. I bet your splitter takes the gnarly one down.

SolarAndWood said:
Nothing wrong with that little bit. I bet your splitter takes the gnarly one down.

I will take that bet...lol Just to make it fun! ;-)

smokinjay said:
SolarAndWood said:

ha, that horizontal only beast is all over it.

It is a maple....it is VERY heavy wood. Not sure if it is silver or sugar maple....I am not good at telling one from the other. Anyway, I may have to noodle cut this last piece. I generally keep 8 cord on hand for the winter...I normally burn 7, but I like to have an extra cord in case. Currently, with this maple, I should have 4 cord. I need every piece I can get....just too hot out to cut this summer.

SolarAndWood said:
smokinjay said:
SolarAndWood said:

ha, that horizontal only beast is all over it.

Might be fun trying. That old homemade splitter has a pretty big heart. It has split a lot of junk over the years. It may just be up for the challenge.

It looks like Norway Maple to me.

Free wood is free wood, even if it does take a little working out the best way to split!

Bet BackSav would even be able to slice it evenly so it could be used for his stack ends...... ;-)

That nasty gnarly piece won't split all that hard but you'll get some odd shaped pieces.

Wood Duck said:
It looks like Norway Maple to me.

Sure does.Identical to what I cut when pruning neighbor's tree in mid June.

Status
Not open for further replies.