A monster from the past...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tar12

Minister of Fire
Dec 9, 2016
Indiana
IMG_1549_zpsvmv0qjlj.jpg
IMG_1538.jpg
This bad boy had been standing dead for a couple years before I received permission to put a saw to it...I am currently enjoying the BTUs from this old giant in my new P
IMG_1554.JPG
rincess...its a beautiful thing..60 in across the base.Me and my son and a bobcat got her home in a days time.A few more days to split her up...lol
IMG_1548.jpg

Last edited:
What type of wood is that tar ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ooops! I forgot that part! It was a big Red Oak.Lightening had got it a couple years ago and it died a slow death. I got approx. 4-5 cord out of it.

Now that's firewood!

Now that's firewood!
What you see in the picture is only part of that tree that was split! To the left out of the picture is a bunch already stacked! It truly was a huge tree..

Trees like that are awesome to get!

Wow, what a monster tree, great job Tar............

Nice score....and haul! :)

Nice grab! >> Can you get some good close-up pics of the split face and end grain...and maybe some bark from further up? That particular bark doesn't look real Oak-y to me...

IMG_2418.jpg
IMG_2419.JPG
Nice grab! >> Can you get some good close-up pics of the split face and end grain...and maybe some bark from further up? That particular bark doesn't look real Oak-y to me...
Only for you Woody...lol...Its definitely Oak...
IMG_2420.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: TheBigIron
That first picture really looks like burr oak.

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
How old do you think it was Tar, did you count the rings? I bet close to 200.

How old do you think it was Tar, did you count the rings? I bet close to 200.
I wish I would have counted the rings! The 80 year old farmer who owns the ground told me that his father said the tree was there when he was a child.The tree was much older than both of them. He said they would seek shade under the tree at lunch time when working the field.I bet you are very close to the 200 yr old guess.

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
Tar, it looks like the tree was fairly close to a gravel road. I finished CSS some Shagbark Hickory that was about 100 years old that was right next to a gravel road. Talk about hard on chains, 100 years of dust and dirt had collected in the bark and wood. Did you have any problems like that with your Oak?

Tar, it looks like the tree was fairly close to a gravel road. I finished CSS some Shagbark Hickory that was about 100 years old that was right next to a gravel road. Talk about hard on chains, 100 years of dust and dirt had collected in the bark and wood. Did you have any problems like that with your Oak?
It was 4 ft from the edge of the road.I was worried about stuff being in the bark and wood itself as old as the tree was. I was fortunate in that the bark peeled off in huge sections at the base! Had no issues at all..

Nice job love red oak the older it gets the better it burns,stack it 6 inches off the ground top cover only lasts a decade easily.

Reactions: neverbilly