A (soon to be) warm thanks!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You're goona love wood heating, especially when the Oil man visits and it takes him longer to hook up, than to top you off:cool:. Is your plan to process your own supply ???....

Yes to an extent. I only have a about an acre and my lot is mostly wooded. I have several large problem trees on my lot that need to come down. I am shopping services now to bring them down. I am a bit of an environmentalist, so I don't plan on deforesting my lot (and it is not large enough for sustainable supply), but I do have to take these trees down. They are 70+ foot oaks on a slope within 50 feet of my house. As parts of the slope have eroded (toward my house) over the years the trees are now leaning toward the house. If they come down, they will be on my house, no question about it. They are not in immediate danger of coming down, but with a hurricane scheduled to make landfall next week, it is a reminder that stuff happens and I don't want to wait to long. The trees should provide a couple years worth of wood (in a couple of years).

My friend has a wooded 1.5 acre lot and he lost a couple of trees to Irene last year. We bucked up about 2 cords worth of rounds last year and their are still several large trees that need to come down. We are going to be doing that over the winter. That wood should be good for next year. After that, it will be touch and go, but if I keep my eyes out I am sure I will find plenty of free wood here in CT. Heck, if I just follow the CL&P crews around I would be fine. Around here they chip/shred all the small stuff, buck up the good stuff and leave it on the side of the road on the lot.

Yes to an extent. I only have a about an acre and my lot is mostly wooded. I have several large problem trees on my lot that need to come down. I am shopping services now to bring them down. I am a bit of an environmentalist, so I don't plan on deforesting my lot (and it is not large enough for sustainable supply), but I do have to take these trees down. They are 70+ foot oaks on a slope within 50 feet of my house. As parts of the slope have eroded (toward my house) over the years the trees are now leaning toward the house. If they come down, they will be on my house, no question about it. They are not in immediate danger of coming down, but with a hurricane scheduled to make landfall next week, it is a reminder that stuff happens and I don't want to wait to long. The trees should provide a couple years worth of wood (in a couple of years).

My friend has a wooded 1.5 acre lot and he lost a couple of trees to Irene last year. We bucked up about 2 cords worth of rounds last year and their are still several large trees that need to come down. We are going to be doing that over the winter. That wood should be good for next year. After that, it will be touch and go, but if I keep my eyes out I am sure I will find plenty of free wood here in CT. Heck, if I just follow the CL&P crews around I would be fine. Around here they chip/shred all the small stuff, buck up the good stuff and leave it on the side of the road on the lot.
In my part of Ct., after last years storm, the wood went fast....I got very little

Well there may be some next week.

Install is complete. 2.5 hours from a very capable and professional crew. We are enjoying our first fire now (although it is 65 deg outside).

Here are the pictures so you know that it happened!

2012-10-27123906.jpg

Here is the first burn:

2012-10-27124010.jpg

and here is the view I will be enjoying all winter with a nice 16-18 year single malt scotch. Lagavulin is the best in that field for the money if you like the Islay malts.

2012-10-27130252.jpg

Looks great, I have that same tool set. I prefer 2012 St. Louis Missouri water or Dewars White Label Scotch as I sit and watch the flames. Bottoms up and Go Detroit Tigers!

Very nice, both the install and the ambience afterward. Enjoy!

I am currently working my way through a bottle of Strathisla while I sit by the fire. May have to give the Lagavulin a try.

Great looking stove and install, looks great.

Very nice congrats.

I am currently working my way through a bottle of Strathisla while I sit by the fire. May have to give the Lagavulin a try.

Great looking stove and install, looks great.

Lagavulin is going to be a lot different than the Strathisla. Lagavulin is an Islay malt so there is a smokey peatiness and some salt. It is fantastic if you like the islays.

Looks awesome....I could feel the heat from here.....Coors Light for me....I know, not real beer:(

One month update:

-I got my stove installed about a month ago now, and we have had some moderately cold weather here in CT (nights getting down to the low 30s). I am happy to report that I have not burned a drop of oil to heat my house (my hotwater tank runs on oil) so far this Winter. I am keeping my house about 10 degrees warmer on the main living floor than I was last year on oil (78deg vice 68) and my family loves the fires. My wife has become an expert at restarting the fire off of the hot coals at 6am when she gets up.

-The Boston is heating the house masterfully. Temps on first floor are 78 degrees, temps on second floor are 74 degrees (70 on the distant wing) and 66 or so on the third floor. I am sure as the nights drop to the teens I may have to burn some oil, but who knows... maybe not. I am OK with 64 or so in the bedrooms while sleeping. My results may be a little better than most because my house is very tight (well insulated) and the floor plan is wide open with a big stair case to get the hot air upstairs, but this has been truly remarkable. I pack the firebox with Oak (maybe some Birch) before going to bed at 10pm or so and have a nice hot bed of coals at 6am. I would say we are still getting good heat off of it for about 10-12 hours on a full Oak load.

-My only complaint right now is that the fan on my stove has developed a bit of a squeak (sounds like a cricket), but it is under warranty and I will have someone come and take a look at it.

I still scour the forums daily, and I am currently on the prowl for a wood scrounging pickup... .thinking something like a 2004 F150 4X4 with about 150K miles on it, wanna spend about 4K or so on it. I find that I am now alot more attentive to the woods around me and often find myself trying to figure out who owns some of the forested lots around here with downed trees on them... seems a waste to let the BTUs rot. Hi my name is Mike and I am now a wood heating addict and I have no intention of seeking rehab.

One month update:

-I got my stove installed about a month ago now, and we have had some moderately cold weather here in CT (nights getting down to the low 30s). I am happy to report that I have not burned a drop of oil to heat my house (my hotwater tank runs on oil) so far this Winter. I am keeping my house about 10 degrees warmer on the main living floor than I was last year on oil (78deg vice 68) and my family loves the fires. My wife has become an expert at restarting the fire off of the hot coals at 6am when she gets up.

-The Boston is heating the house masterfully. Temps on first floor are 78 degrees, temps on second floor are 74 degrees (70 on the distant wing) and 66 or so on the third floor. I am sure as the nights drop to the teens I may have to burn some oil, but who knows... maybe not. I am OK with 64 or so in the bedrooms while sleeping. My results may be a little better than most because my house is very tight (well insulated) and the floor plan is wide open with a big stair case to get the hot air upstairs, but this has been truly remarkable. I pack the firebox with Oak (maybe some Birch) before going to bed at 10pm or so and have a nice hot bed of coals at 6am. I would say we are still getting good heat off of it for about 10-12 hours on a full Oak load.

-My only complaint right now is that the fan on my stove has developed a bit of a squeak (sounds like a cricket), but it is under warranty and I will have someone come and take a look at it.

I still scour the forums daily, and I am currently on the prowl for a wood scrounging pickup... .thinking something like a 2004 F150 4X4 with about 150K miles on it, wanna spend about 4K or so on it. I find that I am now alot more attentive to the woods around me and often find myself trying to figure out who owns some of the forested lots around here with downed trees on them... seems a waste to let the BTUs rot. Hi my name is Mike and I am now a wood heating addict and I have no intention of seeking rehab.

Hi Mike. Recognizing that you have a problem is the first step. Now all you have to do is count all that extra money that will stay in your pocket instead of going up the chimney as oil based smoke :) You'll probably be close to being able to pick up that truck with your first year of savings (minus the insert cost, of course - so maybe the second year of savings). Once you start scrounging you'll be saving even more, although it sounds like you have found a really good wood supplier for now.

Your house and insert look great!

Reactions: etiger2007
Status
Not open for further replies.